MNPV3-MC4? (ie. the smaller MNPV box wired for 3 breakers instead of 2)

Started by Surfpath, October 26, 2012, 09:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Surfpath

Hi MN folks,
Is it possible to order a 3 breaker/fuse pre-wired combiner box using the MNPV3 form*?  I'd be interested to know the cost.

I realize that I could just get the MNPV4 prewired version, but I have a tight install space and the smaller box would work out better.  Also, are fuses the default for these pre-wired boxes?  Is there any advantage going with breakers.  Sadly I dont really know the pros and cons involved.  Maybe I should just learn how to wire it myself and order the MNPV3.

Anyway, your advice is appreciated.
SP 

*Also, can it be wired with Tyco connectors.  My panels have tyco and I am thinking this would be the easiest way to go. 
Outback Flexpower Panel (FM80, VFX3048E), 2750 watts PV (4 series of 3 panels each), Midnite MNPV4 combiner, 48v Trojan RE-B batteries (370 amp hrs).

Halfcrazy

The combiner could be ordered special with Breakers. Basically the only restriction we really have is the number of strings we can pre wire as the bulk head connectors use 2 knockouts per string. We do not do Tyco as there is massive confusion on the cables needed between the panels and combiner and it just causes to much aggravation.

If this is a battery based system breakers are preferred as they can be opened under load so they make working on the system safer.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Surfpath

Thanks for the reply Ryan.
In the end I ordered the MNPV4-TYCO from Midnite (ie. the slightly larger form with 4 fuses). 

I did not have the time to special order the breakers, but perhaps with time I will add these to the combiner.

Cheers,
SP
Outback Flexpower Panel (FM80, VFX3048E), 2750 watts PV (4 series of 3 panels each), Midnite MNPV4 combiner, 48v Trojan RE-B batteries (370 amp hrs).