Surge protection Device

Started by nigel, January 27, 2011, 07:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel

I noticed in news that the Surge protection devices are now ETL listed for all three models. Have we any more information on the 3 models available  and likely shipping shedule .

Nigel

Halfcrazy

Quote from: nigel on January 27, 2011, 07:55:39 AM
I noticed in news that the Surge protection devices are now ETL listed for all three models. Have we any more information on the 3 models available  and likely shipping shedule .

Nigel

Nigel

On our home page there is an article about the SPD's. We will also be adding the manual for the SPD's to our website today. Look for a link to the manual in the SPD article. Production parts have been ordered and should be here in about 8 weeks. We expect it to take about 2 weeks to get production rolling after that.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mike90045

Just wondering about these, looks like I'd have to buy a case of 12, when I only need 4?  (one 115, three 300s)  Any distributors stocking them yet ?

MNSPD-300   $119.00
Shipped in boxes of 12 only!
Shipping: 17x13x5.5
Ind box: 4x4x5

Reply was:  vendors: Try Hitney Solar, AEE or Solar Biz

http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

nigel

I have them in stock, well next week when they clear customs, but I guess you will find them a little closer to home, Im in Spain  :o

Nigel

laszlo

What can be said about the SquareD (Schneider Electric) SDSA1175? 

Does it clamp as well as the Midnite SPD? 

4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

niel

mike,
i don't see them listed at naws, but i'm sure they could get them. anyway, in a search i found this place,
http://www.gogreensolar.com/products/midnite-solar-lightning-arrestor-150-vdc-mnspd115
i don't know of them and you can check for other places if these don't suit you.

Robin

Our direct customers buy quantities of twelve. Regular customers can buy just one at a time.
Robin Gudgel

Halfcrazy

Quote from: mike90045 on June 01, 2011, 07:22:44 PM
Just wondering about these, looks like I'd have to buy a case of 12, when I only need 4?  (one 115, three 300s)  Any distributors stocking them yet ?

MNSPD-300   $119.00
Shipped in boxes of 12 only!
Shipping: 17x13x5.5
Ind box: 4x4x5

Reply was:  vendors: Try Hitney Solar, AEE or Solar Biz

As Robin already stated we sell them to the distributor's in cases of 12 they will sell them 1 at a time.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Robin

I just looked up the Schneider surge arrestor. It has no UL or ETL listing. The data sheet they provide is void of any meaningful data. This device is intended for a 120V AC circuit. You can go up to 175VAC. There is not data on how strong the unit is. How many amps and at what voltage will it clamp to? It is not listed to UL1449 Revision3. That means it may have no overcurrent protection. The lack of overcurrent protection can lead to fires!
It costs almost as much as the MidNite SPD anyway, so with such little information available, why would anyone want to purchase this device?
What was the application for this device.
Robin Gudgel

laszlo

Quote from: Robin on July 09, 2011, 05:04:49 PM
I just looked up the Schneider surge arrestor. It has no UL or ETL listing. The data sheet they provide is void of any meaningful data. This device is intended for a 120V AC circuit. You can go up to 175VAC. There is not data on how strong the unit is. How many amps and at what voltage will it clamp to? It is not listed to UL1449 Revision3. That means it may have no overcurrent protection. The lack of overcurrent protection can lead to fires!
It costs almost as much as the MidNite SPD anyway, so with such little information available, why would anyone want to purchase this device?
What was the application for this device.

Thanks, this is kind of what I expected. As you probably heard know, Schneider Electric/SquareD bought Xantrex so I was thinking they are trying to pitch this at PV market but it doesn't seem so.

4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

Queen

Great topic,
I,ll get more information from here.....
Thanks all. ;)

laszlo

Nigel

I got a couple of these MNSPDs installed two weeks ago -- a 300 for the 240V A/C out and a 115 on the DC in.  They are wider than the Delta surge suppressor units.  The blue LED is kind of cool and having an o-ring included in the box is kind of handy -- nice touch! For now I paralled these with my Delta units, cannot go wrong with having extra protection. Kinda wishing for an electric storm to see how they do.

niel

Quote from: laszlo on July 31, 2011, 02:37:38 AM

Nigel

I got a couple of these MNSPDs installed two weeks ago -- a 300 for the 240V A/C out and a 115 on the DC in.  They are wider than the Delta surge suppressor units.  The blue LED is kind of cool and having an o-ring included in the box is kind of handy -- nice touch! For now I paralled these with my Delta units, cannot go wrong with having extra protection. Kinda wishing for an electric storm to see how they do.

laszlo,
although paralleling the midnite spd with the old delta unit does not hurt, it is also somewhat redundant. because the midnight spds trigger at a lower voltage they would have to be nearly destroyed before the deltas would be allowed to trigger at a higher voltage. i should also point out that, although using an spd does help make your equipment more apt to survive, there is much voltage and current that can rear its ugly head before the trigger point and there's also the possibility of the spds being overloaded allowing the excess to destroy your equipment, the latter of which would be more unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

another point may be how fast they would trigger to ground the offending voltages. gas discharge tubes are faster, but once they've triggered they are no good for a 2nd offending trigger.

the last point may be how much power can be handled from an offending trigger. the midnite movs are larger and with many of them can carry more power. would i want to see lightning strike it let alone 20ft away. no, as that kind of power may prove to be too much for any kind or number of protection devices employed.

so in general, it would be unwise to wish to have a showdown with mother nature like as if you are bullet proof because you are not. there aren't any guarantees when dealing with lightning or emp, but there is nothing wrong with improving you chances of survivability even to the point of backing up the midnite spd with a delta if you have one laying there and have the extra room to mount it. spds can be placed in say a combiner box or even at a solar array to allow the added protection of handling these trigger voltages outside and essentially adding more protections than just one inside the home or building, but they should be placed where a ground wire to the main ground rod is available. i might add that an spd requires there be proper grounding in place to work or you could be just spitting in the wind thinking you have some protection. as you can tell i've been blunt about the subject and i've talked about this kind of stuff before. there are many threads concerning lightning, emp, and grounding that can be seen on the forum at northern arizona wind and sun if you wish to read up further on the subjects.

laszlo

Good points Niel!

I have several surge protectors  on my system, the Midnite SPDs are just the latest addition. Each PV combiner has a Delta DC unit on the DC side, plus one across the DC input to the charge controller --  and the A/C side, likewise,  each  output and input is protected.
I just added on the Midnite SPDs  since I was to lazy to remove the Deltas, figuring it probably won't hurt. I looked at how Midnite is placing the SPDs in their pre-assembled power panels, and they are putting them on top -- and they seem to be protecting all inputs and outputs as well.

data_engine

Are there any plans to make a MNSPD in 3 Phase low voltage for wind generators?