New member introductions (READ THIS FIRST)

Started by Halfcrazy, November 24, 2010, 07:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mighel

Hi My name is Mike Vincent here in the woods of Springfield MO.

Was off grid with a micro system for the first 5 years here, been back on grid for 7 years and hoping to go back off grid slowly.

Looking to use a Classic 250

cnieves14

Hello everyone:

My name is Carlos from Puerto Rico. I'm currently working on my own Home PV System. Hope this forum help me on my ongoing project

Brad

Hello,

My name is Brad. I've been living in Costa Rica for 16 years and currently work for Poderco Renewable Energy. Been installing and designing off grid systems for around 5 years and the CR gov. has recently implemented a grid tie pilot program. We love the Midnite solar stuff and are looking forward to getting the Classic down here!

kitestrings

Greetings,

We're off-grid since before forums (~'84).  Wind and solar (3.2 kW) hybrid system with 'opportunity' diversion to water pre-heat.  Operating, as Jim tells me, one of the longest running Sencenbaughs (1 kW) in the east.  Some background in wind.  Received Doctorate from SHK (School of Hard Knocks).

Been following Classic development for ever.  Building axial-flux unit.  Hoping to learn more about experiences with Classic & Clipper.

~kitestrings

Frank

Frank here from Brooklin, ME

We have both battery-based and grid-tied PV.  I recognize some names here from other forums...   :)

I'm also into EV's - Ryan suggested I join to keep an eye on potential announcements about how to use the Classic as a battery charger.  I have a 72 volt motorcycle conversion needing a good, adjustable high-output charger.

SteveK

Steve here reporting for duty. Am an off-grid poser/wannabee from the protection of my 200A serviced grid powered home. Classic 200 en route.

Sir!
Balding and worse for the wear. 5400W of Bi-facial mono-perc on the roof, two-faced for no good reason like my Ex. 1x Jurassic Classic 200 in reserve. 1x Classic 150 working 100% in my oddly shaded app. 30kw of Lithium not counting the medicine cabinet. XW Pro 6848, the Pro applies to someone else.

ADK

Looks like you have a winner with snow melting!  Adirondack Mountains have lots.  Dave Verner here, have both off grid and grid based personal systems. For grid connected systems I'm torn between AC coupled grid/battery based systems for maximum sell back, efficiency and battery life. Yet I get calls every week of people wanting to live off grid. Many have romantic thoughts about this yet can't part with their consumption. Soon they may have no choice.

Keep up the great work Robin, bOb, Mary & all!

jmiggins

I am a solar integrator with about 10 years of experience in off grid, grid tie and wind. also solar thermal.  one of my first customers has a dual outback power panel for off grid living with a large battery bank of surrette 6 volt batteries wired in three strings of 8 for 48 volt operation.  these are 5 to 6 years old.  in this cold snap they are working well but the first bank of 8 is getting very hot and using lots of water but the other two are not getting hot or using as much water.  he recently redid the wiring putting all new stainless steel connectors on them and soldering the wire ends.  He says he took off only one cable at a time so the unit is connected correctly.  just wondering what might cause this heat and use of water?  he had to put in two gallons in 8 batteries, seems like alot.  thanks

918-743-2299
www.harvestsolar.net

FJH

Not quite the old fart; but acclaimed in Maine Times--what's that, lol; as a computer pioneer in Maine.

Been doing alt energy for several years......Best to go to http://www.katahdinenergyworks.com
to read up on the biz.

Also involved in integrated bio-gas refineries and small scale anaerobic digesters.  

Primarily do microhydro and tidal siting assessments; then permitting; then installations.

Frank J. Heller, MPA
KATAHDIN ENERGY WORKS

weisea

Hi my name is Andy, a retired power electronics/EMC engineer.  I live in eastern Connecticut and have a 5kW grid tied PV installed and solar domestic hot water. Home heat is primarily wood.
For the past few years I have been building and experimenting with wind power.  My present wind turbine is a 10' diameter axial flux generator(Piggott style) with a TriStar-60 charge controller.  Batteries are 4@6V each Rolls S-530 wired for 24V.  The turbine is mounted on a 90' tilt up lattice tower.  I'm looking to improve wind power efficiency through mppt possibly the Classic.

mike90045

Quote from: jmiggins on February 04, 2011, 02:34:56 PM
I am a solar integrator with about 10 years of experience in off grid, grid tie and wind. also solar thermal.  one of my first customers has a dual outback power panel for off grid living with a large battery bank of surrette 6 volt batteries wired in three strings of 8 for 48 volt operation.  these are 5 to 6 years old.  in this cold snap they are working well but the first bank of 8 is getting very hot and using lots of water but the other two are not getting hot or using as much water.  he recently redid the wiring putting all new stainless steel connectors on them and soldering the wire ends.  He says he took off only one cable at a time so the unit is connected correctly.  just wondering what might cause this heat and use of water?  he had to put in two gallons in 8 batteries, seems like alot.  thanks

918-743-2299
www.harvestsolar.net

Anywhere in the middle of any string, could be a bad battery, or jumper. Is there one cell in the "thirsty" string that never needs water ?

Soldered and Stainless don't mix in any way that I know of.   
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

SolRay

Hi All,
My name is Ray.  I am a contractor, electrician and solar installer living 30 miles north of New Orleans.  Someday i would like to be living off grid.  I think the Midnite Classic could help me do that.  I am here to find out.

Volvo Farmer

Oooo. Can't believe I missed the Classic debut by 2 months!  I'm from Colorado. Off grid, solar and a DanB built 10 foot axial flux wind turbine. Been stalking the Gudgel boys farts for several years now waiting for Classic to arrive. Can't wait to own one!

windredneck

Hello,
New to the forum, although I have peeked in every so often for a while.  I have had solar PV on my own house for eleven years, and work as a renewable energy systems designer and integrator, mostly with small wind, PV, and battery backup systems.  Most of the time I am lucky enough that I get to fix systems other people designed wrong or installed incorrectly.  I have had a few small wind turbines over the years, and am presently looking for some land to build an off-grid home to raise my four children in.

Obielover

Hey! I'm Raechel. I've been living off grid in Central Maine since 2008.