New member introductions (READ THIS FIRST)

Started by Halfcrazy, November 24, 2010, 07:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Lets all jump in and introduce our self.

My name is Ryan and I live off grid in central Maine ;D
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Robin

Hi, I am one of the old farts that have been designing RE equipment for the past twenty some years at Trace, Xantrex, OutBack, MAgnum and MidNite
Robin Gudgel

boB

I'm boB, and like Robin, am also an old fart designer of this stuff but not quite as wise, old or smelly as Robin, yet.

I am trying though.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

dsp3930

My name is David.
I live in rural NW Ohio with flat land and farms all aroud.

We have relatively inexpensive power (6.68 cents per kwh with a total bill of $63 last month for 491kwh consumed after I turned on my most recent panel additions), but a public utilities comission that is really incentivising PV right now.  After we ran the numbers, it would have been crazy for us not to put in Solar.  Our ROI should be under about 6 years with REC credits and not having to pay for the power we use.
Xantrex XW6048, XW-MPPT-60 SCC, Midnite E-Panel, 36 SunXtender PVX-890T @ 801ah, Briggs Elite 8kw, Midnite PV Combiner, 12 Sharp 224s / 2.6kw , Bogart Tri-Metric Meter, 2 EKM Meters (On AC1 and Load)

Westbranch

Hi, I'm Eric, another old fart. 

In process of building a new lakeside residence that will be 100% off grid at mid latitude, for BC that is.
Been waiting for The Release for I forget how long as the MX60 will not cut it for the envisioned array size/voltages/distances to batteries I expect to have...

Still reading specs and comparing the different models of Classic ( and against the MX60 I have), decision coming soon...  looking like the 150 will be more than ample.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

solarvic

Hello,  My name is Victor and I live in Northwest Pa. I am an old fart too ,just retired last May. Have GT system commisioned last December.
Fronuis inverters and sharp, kyocera, mittsubushi solar panels.

keyturbocars

Hello,

My name is Edward.  I've been farting for 40 years now.  ;D  I've got 7 children ranging from 1 year old to 12 years old.  I live in a canyon in Eastern Washington.  I live out in the country, but we still have grid power thanks to the fact that this area used to be a tiny railroad town.  Railroad was decommisioned many years ago and tracks removed, but the tiny community remains.  We've got a small farm of 80 acres, but there are 1000's and 1000's of acres of government land all around. 

I like to have backup means of power generation.  In part, it's a hobby to me, but also because I want to make sure that I can take care of my big family in case grid power is unavailable.  I've got an older Onan diesel 6kW generator.  I've got a 2kW wind turbine.  I've got 780 watts of solar panels here, but they are not yet set up. 

cschlessman

Hello I'm Chuck, been off grid for over 20 years now install my own stuf and help neighbors get their stuff working. Looking forward to using a Classic on my new home we are building.

Chuck

Wind Mafia

Hi,

I'm Roy and I've been living off-grid with wind and PV for 15 years now. I install RE equipment for a living and specialize in letting the smoke out of prototype equipment.
Then I enjoy watching the old farts stuff the smoke back in.... ;D
Equipment: 25 years of accumulated RE gear and most of it still works!

ibeweagle

Hi My name is Mike Johnson CEO of Eagle Energy Solutions LLC
I've been building Hugh's type wind turbines for over 8 years now Have made many turbines of differeent sizes biggest so far is 17 foot dim and sold some too. Main office and show system is in Clearwater MN
at Fathers farm and I live in Rochester.  Mike  p.s. look at youtube under ibeweagle for up dates.

tallgirl

Hi,

I'm Julie and I'm one of the cuter and cuddlier members of this fraternity profession.  Which is to say, I'm not ugly and don't smell bad.  Yet.  Worked on a few huge installs, so I know I have the potential, just don't work on enough of them to smell all the time.

I started looking at R.E. in '05 because I was somewhere that had just been demolished by a hurricane.  Then I worked with some folks from IBM's Project "Big Green" and figured I could do better than what the other "Smart Grid" folks were doing.  Which was followed by being invited to leave IBM on account of I don't speak Hindi or Mandarin.

My goal is to make all the things that don't work together in R.E. systems, work together, work smarter, and do it for less than the competitors.  boB and Robin's kit looks pretty slick and I'm hoping to make it do tricks that it doesn't do already.

keithwhare

My name is Keith. I'm primarily a database consultant, specializing in a variety of obscure topics. I have been picking at the edges of solar electric for a while, primarily looking at what might work off grid in third world countries, in particular Haiti.

Two years ago, I installed small PV system at my younger brother's house outside of Hinche in the central plateau of Haiti. (My younger brother is an agronomist, funded through the Presbyterian denomination PCUSA) This system consists of two Kyocera 50 watt 12 volt panels, a Stecca PR2020, a pair of Trojan T105 batteries (I know, way under-paneled for the batteries). This system provides light (12 volt CFLs), powers a small inverter, and a couple of cigarette lighter style sockets for 12 volt adapters.

Last spring, my older brother (an electrical contractor) and I installed a 1,560 watt PV system for a clinic outside of Port au Prince. (The clinic is supported by a US organization called Healing Art Missions.) This system is described and discussed in the thread:

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?t=9127

I have thoughts on several other places where PV systems would be useful.

Because doing service calls and remote trouble shooting is difficult, I am very interested in equipment that works well in hot, potentially humid environments.

Keith

LGeist

Hey everyone, I'm Loren, I suppose I'm a bit of a young gun with a few years of PV design experience under my belt. I'm a solar forum lurker and I work for an online retailer for PV equipment.  I look at everyday as a learning opportunity and I know a few of you have taught me a thing or two either directly or indirectly, so thanks for that!

jwdukes

Hi, I'm John, 28yr old in Texas and am new to RE.  I bought a small motor coach RV that I'm rigging to live in full-time off-grid and eventually travel the west coast.  I've got 2x 325Watt Yingli panels and am hoping to be the first to install a Classic 150 in an RV.  :)
Cheers