New member introductions (READ THIS FIRST)

Started by Halfcrazy, November 24, 2010, 07:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave B

Hello,

My name is Dave B. located here in Western NY. I have been flying axial turbines for over 6 years and currently have a 16' 24 v battery charging system on a tilt up guyed 85' Rohn tower. My partner Dave M. and I own Royal Wind and Solar and along with the fabrication and installation of turbines, towers and control panels we also carve custom blades using the Gottigen 222 profile. We are very interested in the Classic controller as well expanding into solar voltaic. Thanks Halfcrazy and Hilltop for the chat, this looks like the place to be for the latest.  Dave B.   

mare pinta

Hi, Ann from Spokane, WA.  Involved in a first-time installation and not quite done, but close. Battery bank is installed and functional, wind turbines are installed but not turned loose yet, solar is installed but covered with black plastic at the moment, and the grid-tie piece is done (I think).  We've been through the first round of 'newby' electrical inspections and have almost finished the corrections they wanted.  Looking forward to seeing those things turn.  Love the idea of self-production.

Watch Guy

Hi all,

My name is Dale and I'm living in an off grid home now which is owned by a friend. I helped install his Solar power system last year and this year I'm in the process of building my home near by in NE Washington. I'm collecting all the pieces for my solar system and all I have left to wait on is the Midnight Classic 200 controller. ;)

I researched a lot and experienced some but still have a ways to go in this off grid thing.

debbiesimsinca

Hi,

My name is Debbie. Got an email that I needed to post here...LOL...or I would be deleted since I had no posts. Such much spam these days.
Accountant for Borrego Solar in California who enjoys living life to the full and going to the movies.

Borrego Solar is one of many solar energy companies in the state of California.

The company offers commercial solar po

stephendv

Hi,

I have a farm in northern Spain and am slowly building the RE system and small cabin.

aprsworld

I'm Jim Jarvis. Owner of APRS World, LLC. Live off grid in a solar powered house along the Black River in Wisconsin.

animatt

Hello All.

My name is matthew.  We are working on a totally off grid house in southern mexico.  This is really our first time around with solar PV.  I am a huge fan of solar thermal systems.  I have built my own solar thermal panels and systems. Much better bang for the buck.  I am actually a moderator of the Yahoo Group SolarHeat, and a frequent poster of YahooGroup SimplySolar.  Both are great groups but are heavily focused on Solar thermal vs Solar PV.  (Much more DIY friendly, much harder to hurt yourself).

System is to be installed within about 2 months.  Tenative major components are
20     205 watt panels.  from sunelec.com  Works particularly well for us as they are based in Miami and have direct shipments to a local port were the project is.

xw 6048 inverter
midnight solar combiner box, and main distrubition box. Basically all the non "smarts"
Batteries somewhere in the range of 800ah at c20 rate obviously at 48v.  Surrette-Rolls line of batteries not sure if the 4000 line or the 5000 line.  Price of 4000 line very enticing but extra heavy duty look and performance of the 5000 line is very sexy.

The real tentative piece of equipment is the charge controllers.
We were looking at 2 xw mppt,  but now that the classic is available I am re evaluating things. There is something nice about keeping all the smarts in the system one brand, I would imagine this would allow the parts to communicate between one another a bit better.  But I am here to see how the classic would integrate in the xw environment.    I do like the apparent flexibility of the classic.  But we will see.

Anyway not sure if this was a good introduction, I will be mostly lurking here.

matthew wright

Kent0

Hello, everyone.  I'm Kent.  Professional engineer and solar system installer in NE Oregon.

Shipping the Classic has begun.  Congratulations!

andyrud

Off grid, 6 miles into California northern coastal hills, do all my own installs, always trying to learn more about new solar hardware. 

trumpets3u

I'm from Western Maine, We have a 24 volt system here with about 1300w of solar and working on a wind turbine went over and saw half crazy about a year or two ago to see his turbine and this new controller.
                                     Brian 

Fosten

Hi everyone, my name is Brian.  My family has an off-grid cabin in central Pennsylvania.  We currently have a 510w solar array and are eagerly awaiting the release of the Classic!  Thank you midnitesolar.com for this community!

mike90045

Mike B here.  Just setting up my acct.   I have a midnight Epanel which my installer found quite helpful.

Mike
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

flaplante

I have a 2400w system in Central Maine that I installed in 1999 to provide power during construction.
I'm located at the very end of the power line here and have lots of outages.
Just recently converted from TFX2400 to GVFX2435 so I could see my meter run backward :)
Retired Elec.Engr & Programmer.
Wrote my own monitoring program for Outback Mate before any were available to purchase.
Fred LaPlante

nigel

Hi, I live in NE Spain, been off grid since 2005, currently using a Flex Power One FP1-6 3048E with a fixed 2400 watt array. In the process of installing ex USA designed Aerodyne Longbow windturbine (Chinese purchased  manufacturing rights from the ashes of Aerodyne, with  Spanish Head Quarters,) ). Also installing a Lorentz single axis tracker for a further  9 x Sharp 162 watt Poly Panels in anticipation of the new Classic (should be ready in about 4 weeks to wire it in Robin). I was  retired but for some reason found enjoyment and success after installing my system in doing it for others. I now am very busy selling and installing Solar Equipment across Europe. Bringing enlightenment to Europeans  on installing safe reliable equipment which includes correct DC Disconnects and CB. Its a slow task but Im winning many of my fellow installers over.

Thus it will come as no surprise that I am a Midnite Retailer and installer in Europe. Looking forward not only to the Classic and Clipper but to the new Lightning Arrestors from MNS. Along with my best seller over here in the Mini Dc Disconnect and Battery Capacity Meter.

Many have been waiting a long time for the Classic , me I gave my self a break and decided only to Install my Tracker when the Classic shipped, So the shuttering is in (Xmas Week)and the post and concrete poor comes next week.

Best Wishes to Rob, Bob and all the staff at MNS,

Nigel, Prism Solar UK & EU 

Silvertop

Hi,

My name is Mike and I live, with my wife, Beth,  in the NW corner of Washington near Bellingham.  I have a 1KW PV system that has been growing for the past year.  I am looking to possibly replace my 2 Xantrex controllers ( C60 and C35) with the Midnight Solar Classic 150.  I have mismatched panels in the array, and I'm not sure that the Midnight Solar Classic will allow mismatched panels in the programing.  All of my panels are within +/- 3% of VPM. Any suggestions?  ???

Thanks,
Mike :)