Classic 250 Vs 150 Quick Question

Started by paulymath, November 28, 2012, 02:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulymath

I have a quick question.

I am setting up 5 x 145W Panels which run at 12V in series.  My total Voltage will be 60-120V approximately.

My local dealer suggested I get the Classic 150, which makes sense since I will not be going over 150Volts.  However, there is a little snag.  He doesn't have the 150 in stock and there are delays of at least a couple of weeks getting it in stock.

He DOES have the Classic 250 in stock however, and I don't mind paying the extra $$$ to get a controller today.

My question, however, is ... assuming the exact same input of power from my arrays, will the Classic 150 and the Classic 250 produce about the same amount of power for the batteries?

Meaning, are the two controllers the same efficiency assuming they are running at 60-120V?

Or will the 250 be converting the power at a much lower efficiency because it was designed to run at higher voltages?

If there is a difference, does anyone know approximately how much of a difference in terms of %?

Like I said... I don't mind paying the extra $$$.  Like, let's say I could get the Classic 250 for the same price as the Classic 150.  Would it be okay to get the 250?

-Paul

boB

12V battery ??   You might be OK  because 725 watts at 12V is 60 amps and the 250 will do that.

It will  be slightly less efficient than a Classic but I don't think you would notice.   You also won't
usually get that 725 watts out of the array anyway just because one hardly ever gets 100% of
the nameplate rating from the PV modules.

I would not hesitate to use the 250 if you do not want to wait.   How far will the array be from
the controller ?  If it is a ways away then higher voltage in the future would be handy if
you need it.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

paulymath

I got the 250, and it's working perfectly - thanks!

The array is only about 40-50' of cable from the controller.

-Paul