11-30-2012 Rev 1172 OLD, Replaced with 1181

Started by Halfcrazy, November 30, 2012, 01:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

THIS FIRMWARE IS OUT OF DATE. PRODUCTION FIRMWARE ON THE WEBSITE IS NEWER!!!!!!!!!

MidNite Solar Beta Revision 1172
Beta Released 11-30-2012
Windows firmware GUI http://fusion.midnitesolar.com/MidNiteSolarSetup_11-30-2012_v3.58.exe
Linux Firmware GUI http://fusion.midnitesolar.com/MNupdateForLinux_11-30-2012.rar

Follow Me PDF showing communication networking between Classics.
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/network_wiring_Classic.pdf

RELEASE NOTES:

If you are using Classic Lites with Classics for "Follow Me" you will need to leave the MNLP (LED display) Unplugged. We are working to fix this now.
Equalize timer does not count down, problem has been found and fixed we will release a new rev of beta soon

Revision 1172, Released 11-30-2012 Includes:

•   "Follow Me", network communications to coordinate charge stage, EQ and ground fault as well as share battery temperature.
•   Allows for addressing of individual classics on the network so they can all be viewed from a single display.
•   Added amp hours to the Classic.
•   Display now displays the units name given in the local app software.
•   Added software password for the Classic.
•   Added a Ground Fault mode for Aux 1 to remote trip our breakers.
•   Added 2 functions to Aux2 input logic High and Input logic low when active stops the controller from charging. Designed for battery management systems on Lithium Ion batteries.

After updating the Classic and MNGP it would be a good idea to do a "Factory Restore" or a "Quick Start" by first turning the battery and solar power to the Classic off. Next, turn the battery power back on while holding the Left and Right arrows. Hold the arrows until the first "Solar, Wind or Hydro" screen pops up. Follow the on screen prompts and continue setup. Note: This will reset all settings to factory defaults. You will need to reset any custom settings such as Aux 1 and 2. You may want to write these settings down for reference prior to resetting the Classic.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

TomW

Ryan;

Will you be releasing the Python update script for Linux / Mac to the public?

I installed the  Beta Rev 1172 update with Ubuntu 11.10 with the script and all is good. I had the "OCP is off" message but the 2 fingered salute (VMM) fixed that right up.

I have not had any Status Panel disconnect issues since the update, either! 8)

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Tom
We definitely will. I need to find out if it should be on the firmware tab or here. Was it easy enough to use?

Ryan

TomW

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 30, 2012, 03:10:19 PM
Tom
We definitely will. I need to find out if it should be on the firmware tab or here. Was it easy enough to use?

Ryan

Absolutely easy to use. Ubuntu 11.10 had the right packages installed at least on my system. Followed the instructions and it just did it. Nothing fancy but does the job.

I would stick it under the firmware tab as a link into a post here so discussion of any issues, tips or tweaks can be found easily. I am not big on Wikis but that may be a good firmware support option, too.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Tom I added it here as it has the Beta firmware in it. As soon as we move to production with this firmware I will add it to the firmware tab. Thank you for experimenting with it. It will be interesting to see how it does on MAC, I understand the user needs to download something for it to work on MAC

Ryan

Vern Faulkner

Updated the firmware under Ubuntu - couple of problems to report:

a) Uber-minor thing - the "readme" instructions referred to the python script incorrectly
b) the readme instructions referred to the wrong .rem file for the MNGP update

Couple of major things:
The MNGP update did not work. Reported an "NO ACK byte received" error.
Turn on the classic, and after setting date, it locks - red light on left of MNGP, panel reads "sending data" with the numbers
4136       502.

And factory reset doesn't work.

Will try to re-install old firmware. Eeep!

dbcollen

will yours allow you to reinstall firmware, mine wouldn't, just curious, what is your ser#?

Vern Faulkner

I just reinstalled old firmware/MNGP using Vista, and all seems well. Serial is 3170.

TomW

Sorry you guys are having issues. I must have got lucky or have a newer serial # unit?

If I am reading it right it is 01871.

Maybe this is one of those M$ compatibility issues you hear about? You probably could install it using a live CD of Linux if the M$ route doesn't work?

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

boB

Yes, Linux appears to work better than Windoze or the "Redmond 7 Virus" (and XP ?) most the time.
However, it is looking like the Redmond 8 Virus works great !

BTW, I can tell you that I introduced a couple of bugs fairly recently and am making sure others haven't
been introduced...

If you are EQUALIZING...   It doesn't count down so an EQ probably won't end.

And resetting at midnight doesn't work in the latest code.

I've fixed these issues now but will wait a day or two before uploading it UNLESS you really want it
now, otherwise I'll put it up sooner.

I'm not sure what is up with the QuickSet not completing its sending.  We need more information from
those with these issues I think.

There is a very slight change to the MNGP code but I do not think it will help the QuickSet issue.  If the
Classic has been updated to the most recent version (11-29-2012 or even around 1 week ago),
it should factory reset and finish the QuickSet sending data.  Anything talking to address 255 (0xFF) over
the RS-232 modbus, will address the Classic it is connected to, no matter what address it has been
changed to with the original Follow-Me firmware code.  This is what the MNGP does when sending
to the Classic and resetting its variables.  It addresses Classic address 255.

When the Classic turns on and the MNGP is not communicating, make sure that when the Classic powers up,
its 3 LEDs inside (behind the air vent above the MNGP) flash back and forth.  This means that it
booted up at least.   You CAN also try plugging the MNGP into the center phone jack rather than
the top MNGP jack if that top jack is suspected of not working.  But if the Classic DID work before
and it doesn't after an update, it would be code.

Also, make sure that when you update the Classic that you wait until the DOS box says Classic has been
successfully updated which takes a minute in addition to when the progress counts up to 100%...
I cannot see exactly why it matters but there have been a couple of reports that things seem
to go better when they wait that extra minute.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dbcollen

Quote from: boB on December 01, 2012, 02:52:46 AM
I'm not sure what is up with the QuickSet not completing its sending.  We need more information from
those with these issues I think.
boB

What info do you need?

Halfcrazy

I think he was referring to a couple other people, We have had a few cases of the data hanging on VMM

dbcollen

I am one of your beta testers, I would like to help if there is any data I can provide.

Halfcrazy

Well on yours unfortunately we can not do firmware. But the things he wanted to know was do the 3 LED's internall flash when the Classic is booted up, Do the fans whir up when you boot it up.

Ryan

dbcollen

Yes, it does boot normally, except the MNGP not talking to the classic and the classic not responding to the firmware upload attempt. I can access it normally and see it is working, and change settings through the status panel. I guess you will be able to play with it when it comes back "home".