Well I don't know squat about E panels, but I guess I need one or two...

Started by Nashville, December 22, 2012, 10:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nashville

Greeting People of The Midnight Crew,
I am in the final stages of my solar set up and was hoping to get some input on connecting the Grid Tie Interactive system to my home.

Here is my system:
2-Outback 3648 GVFX inverters
2-Classic 150's
1-12 breaker Midnight Combiner

My battery bank size is still to determined. I know I need breakers, but do I really need two of these E Panels, or is this more of custom made / convenience product? Translation- is there a less expensive way or is the E panel a must have item?

TomW

Nashville;

I would not say "necessity" but they certainly simplify installing a code compliant system. All you need to do is connect your components to the prewired panel, connect to the wiring / batteries and its a done install.

My system went from rats nest to neat simply by using a stretched panel that holds my Outback FX2524 and my Classic 150 controller on the door. I suspect you would need 2 stretched panels for your system. Don't be shocked by the list prices they can be had a fair bit cheaper online.

Ryan or boB could advise in better detail but I found mine to be worth every penny. All the terminal blocks, breakers, buses are installed and it works treat. The folks @ Midnite seem to have thought them out pretty well.

I added MNSPD surge suppressors, too on all the incoming / outgoing circuits.

Just from here.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Yes a pair of Plus outback epanels for sure. When you order tell your distributor you want the pair as 120/240 if you plan to stack the inverters for 120/240. We will then wire the bypass as a 120/240 and it will have all the appropriate interconnect wires for the 2. If they have any issues tell them to Call Ryan at MidNite.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Nashville

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 06:43:21 AM
Yes a pair of Plus outback epanels for sure. When you order tell your distributor you want the pair as 120/240 if you plan to stack the inverters for 120/240. We will then wire the bypass as a 120/240 and it will have all the appropriate interconnect wires for the 2. If they have any issues tell them to Call Ryan at MidNite.

Ryan
Ok sounds good. How do I size them with 2-GVFX 3648 stacked running up to 7.2 kw?

Halfcrazy

Nashville

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 07:10:25 PM
Stacked for 120 only or 120/240?

Ryan

120 / 240. I'm assuming this is the best, most versatile set up, considering most households have both voltages.

Halfcrazy

Ok all you need to specify then is you want a pair of the Plus epanels wired specifically for 120/240. It would end up being a pair of these: http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=50&productCatName=E-Panel%20-%20Outback&productCat_ID=1&sortOrder=5

We need to add the dual Epanels tot he price list we are just behind on that.

Ryan

Nashville

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 07:45:09 PM
Ok all you need to specify then is you want a pair of the Plus epanels wired specifically for 120/240. It would end up being a pair of these: http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=50&productCatName=E-Panel%20-%20Outback&productCat_ID=1&sortOrder=5

Ryan
Oh ok, so 175 is the amps that I need?

Halfcrazy

TomW

Ryan;

On the link you posted for the E-Panel:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=50&productCatName=E-Panel%20-%20Outback&productCat_ID=1&sortOrder=5

It says:
OutBack Plus white aluminum shown with an MX60 and FX inverter mounted.

When it clearly has one of your  Classics mounted to it.

Just FYI

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Nashville

Hello Ryan,
I spoke to Tom of Tom's Weird Slider about getting 2 MNE 175 panels. One right hand, one left hand, for a 120/240 setup. He suggested the weird slider. Do I need 2 of these sliders?  I note that the product info for the slider indicates that I may need more breakers and bus bars. I'm confused about that. Anyone have picts of this type of set up that I could look at? Thanks!
Nashville

Quote from: Halfcrazy on December 23, 2012, 07:45:09 PM

Ryan

Halfcrazy

If you are starting from scratch you would simply order the pair set up for 120/240.

If you are retrofitting a single Epanel install the easiest way is to order the opposite swing with Toms weird slider installed and gut out the slider out of the other Epanel as it will no longer be needed. Kinda hard to see but more can be seen here: http://www.midnitesolar.com/productPhoto.php?product_ID=319&productCatName=Pre-Wired%20Systems%20-%20Off%20Grid&productCat_ID=20&sortOrder=14

Download and open the High Res picture one of them is of it open