Xantrex XW-6048 or Outback GVFX-3648

Started by keyturbocars, February 03, 2011, 03:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallgirl

That's a vicious rumor that I take my inverters and charge controllers to bed with me.  It was probably started by my batteries that are upset because they hog the covers, so I kicked them out.

Texas isn't Washington.  I'm hoping to have an XRW2G in with with the rest of my equipment, keeping a close tab on how hot things get.  What I do know is that 110F for =ambient= temperature isn't unrealistic.  At those temps, natural convection over the components isn't going to be enough.

boB

Quote from: tallgirl on April 05, 2011, 01:35:41 PM
That's a vicious rumor that I take my inverters and charge controllers to bed with me.  It was probably started by my batteries that are upset because they hog the covers, so I kicked them out.

Texas isn't Washington.  I'm hoping to have an XRW2G in with with the rest of my equipment, keeping a close tab on how hot things get.  What I do know is that 110F for =ambient= temperature isn't unrealistic.  At those temps, natural convection over the components isn't going to be enough.

I'm glad that SOMeBODY understands about air flow and its many benefits !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Cheburatorol

So qrazy..
Oh..

Later

Queen

I think the XW. First because it is more versatile and second because I am have more experience with them. Both are good products but the single XW will be easier in the long run.....
Regards. :)
Queen.

VTSolarGuy

Ryan,

I love that photo of the 8 FX inverters, with everything neatly guttered and piped... and then there's that little orange wire on the left ... what's up with that  ;) ?

Thanks,

Brad

tallgirl

I did manage to do a prototype run of 80mm case fan brackets for dealing with stacked FX inverters.  I've been offering them for free (the prototypes, the real ones will cost), with just the cost of actual postage.  When it was still hot as Hades, and I was running the inverters in "Sell" mode, they reduced the temperature by about 10F, based on an APRS World temperature sensor nestled up between them.

I was going to have the sensor control the fan (send "AUX ON" commands to the master GVFX), but I went with battery voltage -- if Vbatt is greater than SellRE, the fan comes on.  When Vbatt falls below some number in the middle of the night, the fan goes off.

As regards the comment that inverting doesn't give the inverters a good working over -- where I live there are people who seem to think that 3600 watts of PV per inverter is a good =start=.  I've seen twin stacked GVFXen with 4500 watts of PV attached.  Youch!