News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Priusron, August 22, 2015, 09:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Priusron

I was able to get the USB CDC serial port emulator installed by forcingthe driver to install. When I get to the second black box during the upgrade it will sit there for a while.It then says USB 8 not found or in use. Any advice so I can upgrade my Classic 150?

Resthome

Quote from: Priusron on August 22, 2015, 09:33:58 PM
I was able to get the USB CDC serial port emulator installed by forcingthe driver to install. When I get to the second black box during the upgrade it will sit there for a while.It then says USB 8 not found or in use. Any advice so I can upgrade my Classic 150?

Same problem I had when trying to update the firmware with Win10. At this point the Midnite folks have not said that that old serial USB driver will work with Win10.

I removed the driver and used the Win USB Serial port driver and set it to Com8. Still had problems get it to go but after a lot of tries it finically connected. I'm not a 100% sure that the Midnite USB.inf and USB.sys driver ended up in the system32/driver location even though it said USB CDC serial port in the device manager. I'm not at the boat so no access to the Clasic until next weekend. I look at the laptop when I got home and just need to get back to the Classic to troubleshoot. I've had trouble with it not connecting win Win7 ever now and then but usually a reboot of the computer and then the USB port will connect. You definitely see the driver come up in the device manager when the classic is powered on and it indicates COM8. Need to find a utility to look at the serial ports and verify that the Midnite driver is really associated with Com8. Don't know what is so unique with the Midnite driver that it would not let the Classic connect to Com8. BTW Win8.1 was the the OS that I had the best luck with don't remember not being able to connect.

I was hoping we would get a reply back from Midnite by now but Ryan said he had not updated to Win10 so he couldn't really provide any advice. Don't know if Roy, Rachel, or boB have investigated the issue. Sorry not much help other than to say had the same problem but have hours of fulling around I finally got the Classic to connect, pure luck on my part.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Resthome

Quote from: CDN-VT on August 23, 2015, 09:38:49 PM
I run Win 2000,  XP ,W7 on many laptops Each laptop has it's own use . One for here W7 , one for work &$$   XP & W7 .
im building a a HD just for solar stuff . I run Panasonic toughbooks and each laptop has a quick change shuttle drive.
the drives are SSD so some times you need to slow the or extend the times it is waiting for the connection to the cam ports.

VT

VT
While I don't have a quick change shuttle drive option. I do have a spare HD with Win8.1 that I will take with me the next time and change out if I can not get Win10 to fly.

I wait u till the message came up that the device was not available or not connected to COM8. So it wasn't a wait issue
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

atop8918

I just got a new laptop with windows 10 on it. I am so disappointed I don't know where to begin. I can still make it crash the same way it did back in the NT days. Oh well, keeps the massively wealthy microsoft execs off the street I suppose...

Resthome

Quote from: atop8918 on August 24, 2015, 09:33:29 AM
I just got a new laptop with windows 10 on it. I am so disappointed I don't know where to begin. I can still make it crash the same way it did back in the NT days. Oh well, keeps the massively wealthy microsoft execs off the street I suppose...

Not sure what you are doing to make it crash. I have had zero crashes with Win10. I guess it's like the Classic network disconnects some have and some don't.  :o
John

Westbranch

Hi Andrew, was it the BLUE screen of death or the Black one?
Man, you must be an expert crasher!
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

atop8918

Basically all you have to do is try to do something on the network. I finally convinced it to attach to my linux file server and tried to move some files around. File exploder hangs, goes grey, then you get the cute "This program has stopped responding".

Bluetooth attaches to everything in my house except the headset I'd like it to attach to. Last update from MS broke half my drivers -- including the network driver so I had to do a factory restore and then I have to keep rescheduling updates since it doesn't let you opt out of updates anymore. I could go on.

Resthome

Quote from: atop8918 on December 06, 2015, 08:15:27 AM
Basically all you have to do is try to do something on the network. I finally convinced it to attach to my linux file server and tried to move some files around. File exploder hangs, goes grey, then you get the cute "This program has stopped responding".

Bluetooth attaches to everything in my house except the headset I'd like it to attach to. Last update from MS broke half my drivers -- including the network driver so I had to do a factory restore and then I have to keep rescheduling updates since it doesn't let you opt out of updates anymore. I could go on.

Well what can we say Andrew no network problems here !  Have you installed the latest major win10 update that esentially reinstall a new updated version of Win10 (v1511).
John

atop8918

Hah! The shoe is on the other foot now! This is my punishment for the bad Classic networking.

That was actually the update that broke my machine. A brand new Dell.
Ah well. Linux Mint runs perfectly on it and much faster than Windows anything. I'm just plain giving up on Microsoft.

Resthome

Quote from: atop8918 on December 08, 2015, 01:21:01 PM
Hah! The shoe is on the other foot now! This is my punishment for the bad Classic networking.

That was actually the update that broke my machine. A brand new Dell.
Ah well. Linux Mint runs perfectly on it and much faster than Windows anything. I'm just plain giving up on Microsoft.

:-\

Yeah, you can give up on them, but from a company's standpoint like MidNite they need to be able to support their customer base and there's a lot of MS out there.
John

atop8918

Oh, without a doubt. Please understand that I do not speak for MidNite Solar. This forum is not longer associated officially with them. Of course all of my day job development has to happen on Windows. But it is for exactly that reason that I don't need to bang my head against Windows when I'm off duty.
Remember the big difference between MidNite Solar and Microsoft:

Microsoft Windows/Application developers: 50,000
MidNite Solar Application Developers: 1