Classic RFI Emissions?

Started by Vic, December 09, 2010, 03:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

I do know that engineering is very busy,  now ...   BUT,  as a Hammie Radio geek,  with interests in HF DXing,   I have several questions regarding the RFI Emissions conducted from the Classic CC:

1.  Know that FCC Class B is not on the plate as a hard target for the design,  but any feelings about the emissions profile ?

2.  And as a pre-emptive  attempt to reduce any emissions from the CC,  I would guess that Common-Mode filter on the PV in would be good (?).  I have always run all of the wiring to/from any CC in metal conduit,  with some CM filter wound on large Type 31 Ferrite cores,  but have never used LC Pi filters. These approaches have worked well with my MX-60's.   Any thoughts?

3.  Is there expected to be an appreciable difference in HF RF emissions between the three Classic Voltage ratings?

The CC to battery box run is also in metal pipe,  and the entire power system is in a steel Cargo Container,   and since the battery is very low Z,  have not used CM filters on the CC output.

Will be away from the Net for a number of days,  but will check back for any feedback.   TIA,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Halfcrazy

As a fellow Ham I will say we are going to do our best to be quite but I will let boB answer the fine details here. My early testing is promising I have a Classic 2 ft from my Yaesu 950
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

Class B will be coming as will CE compliance.

The Classic appears to be OK as is but the testing still hasn't been done yet.

That being said, just because a product meets these specifications does not mean that they do not radiate something.

So, our intention is, for those real tough situations, a filter that mounts into the knockout of the controller to
reduce any emissions even further.  This should be THE best place for a filter to be.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Thanks Half,  boB for the replies.

Yes,  am sure that filtering as close to the source as possible is the best,  altho,  on the existing MX-60 system,  have placed the CM Filters in the Xantrex DCCB-L,  as it is spacious,  and felt that the wiring being in tight EMT,  that would be OK.

And,  yes,  the current system with the MX is surprisingly quiet.  Threre are some birdies heard on 75/80 Meters,  but these are seldom problematic,  as the low-bands are really night bands.  IIRC,  the existing MX's birdies are about only a couple of S-Units.  Notta real problem at all (the antennas are fairly distant from the Solar array (which is very hard to shiield !)

ONE QUESTION, tho:  Do you expect any appreciable difference in Emissions output between the Classic 150 vs either of the higher voltage models ?  Have felt,  perhaps incorrectly,  that the PV input CURRENT has a direct influence on the Emission signal level,  not the PV input Power ...

Thanks again,  just trying to study the trade offs twix the models.       Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

boB

Quote from: Vic on December 17, 2010, 10:31:21 PM

ONE QUESTION, tho:  Do you expect any appreciable difference in Emissions output between the Classic 150 vs either of the higher voltage models ?  Have felt,  perhaps incorrectly,  that the PV input CURRENT has a direct influence on the Emission signal level,  not the PV input Power ...

Thanks again,  just trying to study the trade offs twix the models.       Vic

That's a good question. I seem to remember that above a certain point, current OR power, it stops getting much worse.
Should find out again very soon though.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Thanks again boB.  Hope you can get SOME rest !

73,    GL  HH    Vic

niel

boB,
i have a few curiosity questions for you. in your observation of the classic under a scope, did the hf interference frequencies observed wander or were they fixed like many radio birdies are? are they higher in strength on the lower frequencies and are there any observed clusters of interference spikes?

i know what the classic may output in interference will most likely be very low, but give us a better feel for what is observed by you with instrumentation. i know that unless i get a larger spike on a particular frequency that it will most likely be masked by the noise i usually see on many of the lower hf bands.

i know i have a bit of a noise problem here for that same noise masked my hearing ryan on 75mtrs as he qsb'ed well under it 98% of the time. ryan pmed me that he heard me most of the time. i am hoping that further efforts by me with an antenna may help that to a degree, but i am getting am bcb interference quite strongly too and this could be my major source of my general noise. i have at least 4 stations that i am aware of within 2 miles of my qth and i suspect one of them is giving me an rf overload all by itself. >:(

boB

Quote from: niel on January 10, 2011, 07:06:27 AM
boB,
i have a few curiosity questions for you. in your observation of the classic under a scope, did the hf interference frequencies observed wander or were they fixed like many radio birdies are? are they higher in strength on the lower frequencies and are there any observed clusters of interference spikes?

i know what the classic may output in interference will most likely be very low, but give us a better feel for what is observed by you with instrumentation. i know that unless i get a larger spike on a particular frequency that it will most likely be masked by the noise i usually see on many of the lower hf bands.

i know i have a bit of a noise problem here for that same noise masked my hearing ryan on 75mtrs as he qsb'ed well under it 98% of the time. ryan pmed me that he heard me most of the time. i am hoping that further efforts by me with an antenna may help that to a degree, but i am getting am bcb interference quite strongly too and this could be my major source of my general noise. i have at least 4 stations that i am aware of within 2 miles of my qth and i suspect one of them is giving me an rf overload all by itself. >:(

Did your BCB interference go away with the Classic off ??    It is definitely worse on lower frequencies but isn't bad, especially compared to other CC's I've seen.    Did not appear to be much if anything above say, 40 meters.  This is with the antenna right next to the PV array.   Any interference may vary in level but frequency should not be affected.   The EMI you will see will be at around 50 kHz intervals.
Also, you may find one at exactly 50.0 MHz which is the internal oscillator.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

niel

ok thanks, but even if it were operation now i probably won't hear it over the high semi-high noise i have been experiencing and is why it was only a curiosity question as to how what little noise there is from the classic that i wanted to know the characteristics of it in general. i have not gotten everything quite together yet so the classic is not connected right now. it's all allot more work than i originally figured and the classic will be the last item to get hooked up. i still have some stuff on order from naws yet that has not arrived. i do hope i can have the inverter up and running soon as old man winter approaches again after hitting areas in the south hard.