Absorb Stage Tapering Amps?

Started by Silvertop, January 06, 2011, 05:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvertop

Hi, can anyone tell me how the Classic tapers amps in the absorb stage ? Is this controller using  PWM ?  Is there any specs on snow melting, or specs on power consumption at idle and while in operation.......Thanks 8)   .......Also, is there any reverse current protection built into the Classic to protect the PV s from voltage spikes from a diversion controller ........THANKS ;D

boB

Silvertop,

In absorption, the Classic will supply however much current is required to keep the voltage at the Absorb voltage.
That's dependent on the battery and loads themselves and not a function of the Classic itself when in voltage regulation mode (Absorb/Float/EQ)

No Snow melting feature quite yet. We'll give the Classics a bit more time in the usual forward current mode for a while, first before we let SMelt mode go...

Idle when running ?  Depends entirely on input voltage and output voltage, but can be on the order of 10 Watts or so.  Can be higher with 250V input and say, 48V output.  This will reduce once the partial power mode is implemented, which is simply software and will be in a future update.

Reverse current protection from diversion controller ??   Do you mean, as the diversion controller is turning off and the battery voltage rises ?  If so, the Classic will quickly recognize reverse current, and if PV input voltage is almost anywhere below Voc, it would very rarely reverse, even for a moment.  But we definitely take this into consideration.

Thanks,
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Silvertop

Thanks boB,

At 10 watts or so, does it still consume that at night, or in periods of low light? I think I understand that you have to set a 'wake up'?  How exactly does 'wake up' operate?  I'm just trying to conserve as much electricity as possible especially on days like today, in Bellingham, with no actual 'sun' to speak of.  High current today of 1.8 amps charge (woohoo) from 1 KW array.

Silvertop  :)

tallgirl

Quote from: Silvertop on January 06, 2011, 10:23:00 PM
Thanks boB,

At 10 watts or so, does it still consume that at night, or in periods of low light? I think I understand that you have to set a 'wake up'?  How exactly does 'wake up' operate?  I'm just trying to conserve as much electricity as possible especially on days like today, in Bellingham, with no actual 'sun' to speak of.  High current today of 1.8 amps charge (woohoo) from 1 KW array.

Silvertop  :)

I have a pyranometer that recorded all of 500 watt-hours total insolation the other day.  That's 30 minutes of full-sun.  Which is really bad!