News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Ground Fault w/PV Breaker Off

Started by aaapilot, May 03, 2024, 09:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaapilot

I've had an intermittent Ground Fault, aprox 5 times in 2.5 months since the system was installed.  It occurs either when the sun is setting or early in the morning just before sunrise. (At least, that's what I'm guessing since it's ok at 10pm and light on at 7:30-8:00 am when I check on the system.) Yesterday it occurred and the PV breaker was OFF on the HB. Is that even possible for the system to detect a ground fault when there is no load on the PV? (There IS a Surge Protector at the combiner box, so are the 2 LEDs on the SP considered a load??)  I'm beginning to think the Ground Fault circuit sub-board is faulty .... it is one of the original builds that have the D2 RED LED.  Incidentally, the system does NOT shut down when the GF occurs.  Just the red lite on the display w/ the words 'a ground fault has occurred'. When I press the knob to clear, when there is PV connected and on, the MPPT is still running and producing power. I thought the system would stop and had to be reset? I have removed the front cover to check the board when it occurs, before I clear the message on the screen, and the D2 RED LED is flashing quickly, showing normal ops????  The D1 RED LED has never illuminated, which is suppose to be on solid when a GF is present.  Thanks all.  Dave
_ _ _ _ _
Dave /:\

ClassicCrazy

I just looked and I have never enabled the ground or arc fault on the Hawkes Bay.
I think I always left them off on my Classics too.
Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

aaapilot

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 03, 2024, 05:41:51 PMI just looked and I have never enabled the ground or arc fault on the Hawkes Bay.
I think I always left them off on my Classics too.
Larry
Hi Larry.  The Classic has GF/AF built in, all you have to do is enable it.  For HB/Barcellona, you have to add the GF/AF kit separately, that includes a sub-board and 2 toroids.  Once you install the kit, you enable them in software, just like the Classic.   Dave
_ _ _ _ _

FNG

Quote from: aaapilot on May 03, 2024, 09:49:24 AMI've had an intermittent Ground Fault, aprox 5 times in 2.5 months since the system was installed.  It occurs either when the sun is setting or early in the morning just before sunrise. (At least, that's what I'm guessing since it's ok at 10pm and light on at 7:30-8:00 am when I check on the system.) Yesterday it occurred and the PV breaker was OFF on the HB. Is that even possible for the system to detect a ground fault when there is no load on the PV? (There IS a Surge Protector at the combiner box, so are the 2 LEDs on the SP considered a load??)  I'm beginning to think the Ground Fault circuit sub-board is faulty .... it is one of the original builds that have the D2 RED LED.  Incidentally, the system does NOT shut down when the GF occurs.  Just the red lite on the display w/ the words 'a ground fault has occurred'. When I press the knob to clear, when there is PV connected and on, the MPPT is still running and producing power. I thought the system would stop and had to be reset? I have removed the front cover to check the board when it occurs, before I clear the message on the screen, and the D2 RED LED is flashing quickly, showing normal ops????  The D1 RED LED has never illuminated, which is suppose to be on solid when a GF is present.  Thanks all.  Dave

Dave,
If its an older original Arc Fault / Ground Fault we may want to replace it. Email me please ryan@midnitesolar.com

aaapilot

Quote from: FNG on May 08, 2024, 08:05:22 AMDave,
If its an older original Arc Fault / Ground Fault we may want to replace it. Email me please ryan@midnitesolar.com
Thank you Ryan.  I'll pull the board out this morning so I can send you a pic w/the email.

Dave
_ _ _ _ _