Status of the MNS COMBOX Project

Started by Wizbandit, December 22, 2023, 12:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 23, 2024, 10:23:16 AMIn the simplest of terms that an elderly Tennessee Hillbilly can understand:

What is the issue the Combox is intended to resolve?

What is the issue that MQTT is intended to resolve?

I do appreciate y'alls patience.
Quote from: Barry Fields on May 23, 2024, 10:23:16 AMIn the simplest of terms that an elderly Tennessee Hillbilly can understand:

What is the issue that MQTT is intended to resolve?

I do appreciate y'alls patience.
This was software project that Graham created for the Classic. It is explained on page linked below. Basically the Classic had limitation of being able to only have one modbus link at a time. And that link had to be local or some kind of ip tunnel or whatever. The project linked made it so that something like a raspberry pi could connect to the Classic, and then publish the Classic data as MQTT . Those mqtt packets are easy to send out either locally via pi , or to external source. You don't need to open any ports on your router or do anything magic networking wise. Once the data is in mqtt form - as many clients as you want can get that data at the same time which got rid of the only one connection at a time limitation. Here is the link so you can see the graphic that Graham had made about it. https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT
I use it via a raspberry pi with my classics and it is stable and never crashes.
 https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 23, 2024, 03:47:39 PMThis was software project that Graham created for the Classic. It is explained on page linked below. Basically the Classic had limitation of being able to only have one modbus link at a time. And that link had to be local or some kind of ip tunnel or whatever. The project linked made it so that something like a raspberry pi could connect to the Classic, and then publish the Classic data as MQTT . Those mqtt packets are easy to send out either locally via pi , or to external source. You don't need to open any ports on your router or do anything magic networking wise. Once the data is in mqtt form - as many clients as you want can get that data at the same time which got rid of the only one connection at a time limitation. Here is the link so you can see the graphic that Graham had made about it. https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT
I use it via a raspberry pi with my classics and it is stable and never crashes.
 https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ClassicMQTT
Larry
Your post was really appreciated and kept me out of the bar for a couple of hours.

I am really trying to understand the interconnections. I have attached a crude diagram of what I think I understand.

How does MQTT get to the cloud? Ethernet to the router?

"Basically the Classic had limitation of being able to only have one modbus link at a time." Explain please.

Feel free to edit my diagram iffn ya like.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

Wizbandit

The MNCOMBOX is a "data miner", it gathers data and allows the user to customize their "Dashboard" to display whatever they want or feel is important.  All I do is gather the data, store it in a data base and the user selects what data that want to see using Grafana.  The user can display the data many ways, as a dial, a graph, a bar code graph and many other "visualizations" too numerous to list.

It does not matter where the data is, MQQT Broker (server) somewhere, MODBUS, CANBUS Serial data, I can grab it and format it then write to a "Time Series Database", I use InfluxDB as Grafana interfaces with it well.

Here a screen shot of my dual Rosie Stack testing the new SELL to GRID code.  I have colored the WATTS green when ever "selling" and red when "using" from the grid.  My idea is have everything user customizable.