Is it OK to mount breakers horizontal ?

Started by sunbunny, November 06, 2013, 10:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunbunny

I am putting 70 amp MNEDC circuit breakers on each of my battery pairs (6 pairs)
My installation would be neater and easier if I could mount the breakers horizontal. Is that OK ?

I read in another thread here, that it was Ok to use the breakers as switches so I could go right from the breaker to my + buss and not need to use a 300 amp battery switch to connect selected pairs of batteries in and out of the system ?

Thanks

Vic

Hi sunbunny,

This may be the post that you were referring to regarding using the MN DC breakers as switches:
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=351.msg2615#msg2615

Am still looking for the place where I saw the reference to vertical mounting,  with ON up,  but have not found it yet.  More later,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Halfcrazy

Horizontal is fine. The only direction that gets funny is with the handle pointing straight up. If that is the case they have to be derated.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

sunbunny

Vic

OK,  thanks Ryan,  horizontal mounting will help in one recent situation.  Thanks.

EDIT:  I had given sunbunny some bad advice on the Wind-Sun Forum,  stating that I believed that horizontal orientation was ill-advised.  So I stand corrected,  and sorry for creating this noise.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

cpm

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 07, 2013, 05:57:12 AM
Horizontal is fine. The only direction that gets funny is with the handle pointing straight up. If that is the case they have to be derated.

Ryan

I don't understand

zoneblue

My reading is that horizontal switch facing you is fine, but switch facing the sky is not so good.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Halfcrazy

Yes as long as the handle is facing horizontally in a direction not up or down you are good
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Robin

When the handle is facing up or down, the trip time is increased a little. CBI says 5%. I do not know how much for the Carling, but I suspect it is about the same. In fact I remember now that the engineering manager from Carling was here last week and he acknowledged about 5% also. So, no big deal in any case. I do not think they publish this as it gets too complicated to put a UL label on the product that fits all positions. In reality, it doesn't make much difference.
Robin Gudgel