MNPV Disco breakers

Started by SolarWind, November 10, 2013, 02:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarWind

Are MNPV Disco breakers required to be 2P breakers on a 240v grid tie (pole mounted micro-inverter) type of install or can they be 2x1p breakers?

SW

Halfcrazy

SolarWind
I think what you are asking is can you use 2 single pole breakers for e 240vac branch circuit. The answer is it depends. Electrically yes. but physically it opens a few doors. I believe NEC states as long as they are mechanically handle tied then yes you can. I would consult the local inspector on that one as he may have an opinion. At the least handle tie them.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

SolarWind

Thanks Ryan but what am I missing here: On page 7 of the MNPV6 Disco manual it shows L1 and L2 connected each with their own busbar but what keeps the busbars from touching in this configuration? Do you insert a separator of some type?

SW

Vic

S W,

On the MN PV Combiners,  the busbars are held firmly in place by the circuit breakers themselves.  The busses are stout,  and the breakers are held in place by the DIN Rail.
Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

SolarWind

Yeah that's not what I'm asking Vic but thanks. In the MNPV Disco6 there are two busbars on a micro inverter 2pole setup, one for each pole. What I don't understand is what keeps the two busbars from touching each other. See the screen shot from the manual below.

SW

SolarWind

Hope someone has a clue on this as I'm installing tomorrow a.m. -- thanks.

SW

SolarWind

Just an update for those that are interested. Somehow I got two straight busbars instead of the two offset busbars, probably because I was unaware there was a special micro-inverter model when we ordered the box. Anyway was able to bend and offset the busbars as required and  off we went, double thanks to the Midnite guys for their midnight assistance!

SW