Looking for advices on MNDC

Started by SolarMusher, January 09, 2013, 05:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarMusher

Hi,
I'll have an installation next spring on the top (150 feet  :'() of a telecom tower (internet). I would like to mount a MNDC with CC on left side and load center inside a MNBE (battery enclosure). I will have only two L16 6V AGM 415Ah batteries and would like to be sure this 12V system will be away from bad weather.
So I've a few questions:
Could I mount a controller on the side (Tristar 45A, not on top, not enough place) of a MNDC just like an E-panel?
Do you think I can use a MNBE to protect this system? Do you have a model to suggest?
Any suggestions greatly appreciated,
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

dgd

Quote from: SolarMusher on January 09, 2013, 05:16:08 PM
Hi,
I would like to mount a MNDC with CC on left side and load center inside a MNBE (battery enclosure)...

Could I mount a controller on the side (Tristar 45A, not on top, not enough place) of a MNDC just like an E-panel?

Erik

I looked at mounting A C150 on the LHS of an MNDC-250. It would need a bracket fabriated and use the lower of the 3 larger knockouts for wiring into the Classic
Didnt do it as wiring in MNDC would be too cramped with pv in an out breakers as well as inverter and battery wiring.
But I did see a smaller Xantrex C40 attached to the LHS of an MNDC that looked real neat.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

SolarMusher

Hi dgd,
QuoteDidnt do it as wiring in MNDC would be too cramped with pv in an out breakers as well as inverter and battery wiring.
No inverter here.
I'm just looking for a way to mount a neat and waterproof installation. I think you're talking about a CC bracket just like the one we can find in a E-panel package. Maybe I could order a single bracket with nipple and busbars.
I never used a MNDC  to mount a CC with breakers. From what I see, a 17"MNDC could fit above the upper shelf of a MNBE-D (18"85) but I'm not sure that a Tristar on side would not exceed the 18 inches height depending on which knockout I should use, luckily it's only 11.4 inches height.
Thanks for your help dgd (what dgd means?),
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

dgd

Quote from: SolarMusher on January 23, 2013, 07:54:52 AM
Hi dgd,
QuoteDidnt do it as wiring in MNDC would be too cramped with pv in an out breakers as well as inverter and battery wiring.
No inverter here.
I'm just looking for a way to mount a neat and waterproof installation. I think you're talking about a CC bracket just like the one we can find in a E-panel package. Maybe I could order a single bracket with nipple and busbars.
I never used a MNDC  to mount a CC with breakers. From what I see, a 17"MNDC could fit above the upper shelf of a MNBE-D (18"85) but I'm not sure that a Tristar on side would not exceed the 18 inches height depending on which knockout I should use, luckily it's only 11.4 inches height.
Thanks for your help dgd (what dgd means?),
Erik

Tristar would be a good fit on an MNDC, not sure knockout holes would align but as the MNDC is aluminium its easy to holesaw out a hole that would match the Tristar and use a plastic conduit connector. Thats how I saw a C40 connected to MNDC box. You would probably need to fabricate  a bracket to supprt the CC weight.

Heres a MNDC-250 I holesawed on lhs as knockouts too large. A busy box with the -ve busbar and breakers.

dgd
(David G Dix  8) )
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand