Report Card for Beta Units...??

Started by Westbranch, December 10, 2013, 01:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Vic,

I will consider what you are saying and confirm the weather condotions next time I am observing the kid.

Thanks...
Damani

philb

I finally got to the point where I could install software in the Kid this morning. No problems.

I decided to make a peel and stick label with the serial number and put it on the front of the Kid, just in the case I had problems down the road and needed it for service advice. The label would not stick anywhere on the outside black surface. A dab of silicon under the label worked well.

Afterwards, the Kid was left on my workbench for a few weeks and it accumulated a bit of dust by then. The dust didn't stick to the surface either. Less dust and debris, more cooling. Good thinking Midnite! It must be paint or mold release? Anyway, great idea.

system one
7100 watts solar
 3 Classic 200's, Midnite battery monitor  Outback VFX 3524, 2 new forklift batteries

system two
1880 watts solar, classic 200, Outback VFX 3524
24 6 volt GC-2 cart batteries

dapdan

Midnite,

Whatever happened to the complimentary wbjr that was supposed to be shipped out to the beta testers...or has that died a natural death?

Cheers...
Damani

Westbranch

Damani, I got mine ...  send Ryan@Midnite.com  (?)  a quick note to remind him. 
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

dapdan

Ok West, Thanks. Will do.

Cheers...
Damani

TomW

Quote from: dapdan on March 06, 2014, 01:21:32 PM
Midnite,

Whatever happened to the complimentary wbjr that was supposed to be shipped out to the beta testers...or has that died a natural death?

Cheers...
Damani

I got one, too. Probablyt just need to rattle someones cubicle.  8)

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Quote from: dapdan on March 06, 2014, 06:28:58 AM
Vic,

I will consider what you are saying and confirm the weather condotions next time I am observing the kid.

Thanks...
Damani

Do you hear a relay click when this occurs? and does the state change from mppt (or absorb, float etc) to resting? then its resumes charging.
Since it seems nobody else has seen this random resting state change I was thinking it was my beta unit that had a problem. I have not seen any 'down to zero amps' mppt sweeps, yet!
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

dapdan

dgd,

No. I have not observed anything you have described. I can say that when it drops to zero amps it stays in the bulk mode or whatever mode it maybe in at the time. It does not go to resting.

Cheers...
Damani

Vic

dgd,

In my observations on the Classic,  it stays in the previous charge state,  the relay does NOT click,  and if one is not carefully watching on the MNGP (in my case)  it is very easy to miss that it has occurred.

Am almost certain this is when the CC does a miniSweep.   When listening to the CC on an HF radio,  to one of the CC's "Birdies",  one can hear these Sweep events.  It lasts about a second,  and occurs about once per minute in Solar mode.  These observed events may only occur in Bulk ...  forget.

I am ASSUMING that the Kid's MPPT function is similar to the Classic,   etc.

I may be way off base,  however.    FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dgd

Quote from: dapdan on March 06, 2014, 04:04:43 PM
dgd,

No. I have not observed anything you have described. I can say that when it drops to zero amps it stays in the bulk mode or whatever mode it maybe in at the time. It does not go to resting.

Cheers...
Damani

ok, thanks, I think its just my KID so I will retire it until a few more firmware releases occur. I need to get some power from this pv array so back to the Lite150 for a while.
One advantage of the KID is that to see what its doing I'm up and down stairs to my basement garage many times a day and it don't half keep you fit  :o
With the Lite in place with my other Classics I can monitor from local app  :D
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

dgd

Vic,

yes my Classics behave exactly like this and as you say this is the normal mppt sweeping.
I have not really observed the KID doing this but assume that it must be.

My KID problem is definitely a change of state from mppt to resting, relay clicking it into off state then after a second or so it restarts. Before this latest firmware release the KID would stay in resting up to an hour, now it restarts fairly promptly.

Although probably not related I also suspect there may be an issue with the power levels the KID can handle. I have hooked it to a 700watt PV array then a 1.4Kw array and in bright sunshine and seem to always get it maxing out about 440 to 480 watts. (24v battery bank)
I can see the voltage on the array rising from its normal 90v MPV to 105v which indicates,IMO, there is more power available from the array.

The KID's heatsink gets real hot so i am not sure if this is temperature related.

dgd

dapdan

A new behavior I have witness twice is that at night the screen goes blank and does not display anything. I have to do a power cycle to get back the normal screen. During this hang it does nor charge because I had first discovered it one morning and the screen was blank and the kid seemed not to be operating. I can not fully confirm this as I did not check output wire with a meter.

Cheers...
Damani

Mario

Quote from: dapdan on March 06, 2014, 09:30:10 PM
A new behavior I have witness twice is that at night the screen goes blank and does not display anything. I have to do a power cycle to get back the normal screen. During this hang it does nor charge because I had first discovered it one morning and the screen was blank and the kid seemed not to be operating. I can not fully confirm this as I did not check output wire with a meter.

Cheers...
Damani

Are you running firmware rev 1722?
Mario

TomW

Quote from: Mario on March 07, 2014, 01:50:10 PM

Are you running firmware rev 1722?
Mario

Mario;

Just installed 1722 to The Kids. I got the "wavering digit" on the tenths digit on battery voltage again. It seemed to be not there in 1721 but its back now.

Plus, my LEDs only work in "run" or "test" after they boot. They run thru a cycle during boot like they should.

Just cuz its Friday and I know you love a good challenge.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dapdan

Mario,

I have 1721 installed. I didn't realize there was a 1722.

Cheers...
Damani