Navigating to the SETUP WIZARD

Started by clivusmul, November 04, 2012, 10:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clivusmul

Just got back from two days installing solar panels and Midnites' pre-wired E-Panel with Magnum 4400 watt 120/240 and Classic 200.  I think everything is working fine.  To test the system, I used 4 e. 12v deep cycle batteries I robbed from my Bass boat.  I have 8 400 aH 6 volters I will haul to the cabin site next now that I know everything seems to be functioning. 

QUESTION- How do I enter the setup Wizard mode after initial power-on?  The included instructions don't appear to function as stated.  Included instructions say - 1) Press the main menu button, 2) Scroll left or right until Wizard  is highlighted and press enter, 3) follow the instructions to the end...

Main menu button works perfect, Scrolling left or right to the end never shows Wizard.  Scrolling shows all other noted menu items... my software/firmware is dated August 2012...

I need to get to the wizard so i can specify battery AH rating, number of batteries, gps location coordinates, etc.  At 1st power up, I did get to the first part then saved where I had gotten and then the Classic started doing normal stuff...  After that, the setup Wizard doesn't show again...

Help please.  Thx, Clivusmul - bj KB7GX
Bob J

niel

was the wizard there in the first place? if it was and you updated the software (forgot which was latest) they have taken out the wizard. you will need to go into the menus and enter the info the classic needs directly if that's the case.

assuming you got the right button as the main menu button is the one on the lower right, you would scroll to the left as far as it will go and if it's there it will show. refer to page 37 on the user manual dated 2/8/2012. other manuals it could appear on a different page, but may be in the neighborhood. the section title is navigating the menu's so check the table of contents too.

boB

The "Wizard" has been gone for a while now.  Not sure why the manual still refers to it but it is probably an
older manual.

We will add a few of those items back into the MNGP/Classic eventually but as it was, the Wizard was more of
a problem than it helped.  It doesn't need to know the Amp-Hour rating of the battery string anyway.
The latitude-longitude didn't really do much yet also.

To get back into the main QuickSet screen though, hold down the LEFT arrow and RIGHT arrow key
while the MNGP is booting up.  That will allow you to change the battery system voltage etc.

Sorry about that !!

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

clivusmul

Thanks boB... I thought it was likely a misfit between the manual and the firmware revision.  I was concerned the absorb time might be excessive for my puny bass boat batteries and wanted to tell the Classic what the AH rating was for these smallish batteries.  BTW, I just checked your latest docs on the Midnite Website and it still refers to the Wizard...  also shows it on the menu route diagram at the end of the writeup...  on initial powerup, I was able to confirm solar, 48 volts, date and time, and perhaps a fewmore but no AH rating and # of batts in the bank...

What changes do I need to make for optimal charging to change between 2400 watt hrs and 19200 watt hrs?  Either is a 48 v nominal bank... I shut the entire pv charge system down when I left this afternoon as I didnt want to boil dry the smaller 12 V'ers...

Last Q: is there still a vertual map somewhere in the latest firmware release?

Thx in adv.. bj
Bob J

boB

bj,
as far as finding the optimum time for Absorb, you might want to charge the battery and turn off any large loads that
turn off and on if possible.  Let it Absorb for quite a while, maybe somewhat longer than you might think it should go
for, then look at the recent history log to find out how long it takes for the output power in Absorb takes
to taper off to some steady low value.  That power level will be close to the "Ending Amps" or Ending Power"
in the case of power logging data and however long it took for that to occur would be close to what your
time should be.  If it takes 2 hours for that to happen then your Absorb time should be around 2 hours.

That method will give you a rough guesstimate of absorb charge time.

A.  No map available but it will be added back in sometime here not too long I hope.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

clivusmul

Thanks boB... Very appreciative for your prompt reply and accurate recommendations.  I am relieved to know there is nothing fundamentally incorrect within my new system.  I am located 24 miles down a wash-boarded, rutty, dusty dirt road.  Hauling solar panels, pole mounts, 1/2 a ton of batteries and heavy inverters/E-Panels is a major work commitment that is best done once!  Bj
Bob J

Vern Faulkner

I had hoped the lat/long would help the machine realize when dawn and dusk were? To help curb that annoying low-light clicking.