Resting input voltage curiosity.

Started by mtdoc, December 14, 2012, 01:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtdoc

I realize that it is normal to display a low resting input voltage when dark.  I think I read somewhere that is should be about 1/2 of battery voltage.  With my first Array and Classic that is true. The resting input voltage is at about 30 for my 48 V system.

Here's the curious thing.  My second array with a second Classic connected to the same battery bank shows a resting input voltage of 14. 

They both work great. No worries, just curious.  Why the difference?   
Array 1: Sanyo HIT225 X 8 on Wattsun tracker. Array 2: Evergreen ES-E-225 X 12 on shed roof. Midnite e-panel with Outback GVFX3648, FNDC and Classic 150 X 2. 436 AH AGMs. Honda eu2000i X 2.

boB

Quote from: mtdoc on December 14, 2012, 01:42:09 AM
I realize that it is normal to display a low resting input voltage when dark.  I think I read somewhere that is should be about 1/2 of battery voltage.  With my first Array and Classic that is true. The resting input voltage is at about 30 for my 48 V system.

Here's the curious thing.  My second array with a second Classic connected to the same battery bank shows a resting input voltage of 14. 

They both work great. No worries, just curious.  Why the difference?

Sometimes the input source just happens to load the input down some.  I have seen some Classics that went down much lower
than 14 volts from a 24 volt battery.  I think it was the PV array.  Also, a large array may tend to load the input down more.
Especially older PV modules with a bit more leakage.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me