News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Spacer Pain

Started by Kent0, July 13, 2014, 01:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent0

In case no one else has mentioned it: the spacers for the WBjr are a pain. They should be part of the circuit board assembly so that one needn't juggle seven pieces to attach the WBjr to a shunt.

By the way, the WBjr won't fit on the shunt in a Magnum MPSL panel because the bus bars are in the way.

boB

Quote from: Kent0 on July 13, 2014, 01:20:31 AM

By the way, the WBjr won't fit on the shunt in a Magnum MPSL panel because the bus bars are in the way.

Will take a look at this at least.  Sorry about the spacers.  We looked at implementing those as pressed in
but was also a pain to get done or something like that.  I hear you though.  It's best to pull the shunt
out to install the WB jr. but only has to be done once (hopefully)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

TomW

I had similar thoughts when I installed mine.

I thought it would be easier to do it in place but that was wrong. It took a lot of contortions and a couple pairs of hemostats to accomplish. If I were to do it again I would remove the shunt and install the WBjr on the bench rather than in the E panel.

I blamed my rather full E-panel for most of it. And my fat fingers for the rest.

Bottom line is you are not alone with this installation  problem.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Kent0

It looks like the WBjr would work in the Magnum MPSL panel with some slightly longer spacers.

boB

Oh, I guess I didn't notice it was the  "Magnum MPSL panel" ?   Isn't that Magnum's panel ?   :-X

There is room in a MidNite E-panel for both WB Jr. and their BMK.    ;)
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

SolarMusher

Quote from: Kent0 on July 13, 2014, 10:41:18 PM
It looks like the WBjr would work in the Magnum MPSL panel with some slightly longer spacers.
Kent,
Talking about the MPSL, I had found it easier to install the WBjr directly into the classic with twisted wire. Works great.
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

brad.midnite

Are you measuring the Classic battery current with the WbJr? From your description, that's the impression I'm getting. The WbJr is meant to measure battery current. Assuming your loads are tied separately to the battery, at the battery terminals, you wouldn't be measuring load current.

Or perhaps you've got it hooked up normally and I'm just confused.

SolarMusher

Quote from: brad.midnite on July 18, 2014, 02:22:24 PM
Are you measuring the Classic battery current with the WbJr? From your description, that's the impression I'm getting. The WbJr is meant to measure battery current. Assuming your loads are tied separately to the battery, at the battery terminals, you wouldn't be measuring load current.

Or perhaps you've got it hooked up normally and I'm just confused.
I mean if you can't fix it on shunt for whatever reason, you just have to connect the two WBjr terminals to a Magnum MPSL shunt with a length of 16-24 inches twisted wires and connectors (use a small length of BMK twisted wires in excess for example), carefully insulate WBjr terminals with tape and place it into a Classic wire compartment, connect purple wire to aux2+ and you're done.
You will be measuring all load currents...
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

zoneblue

Just for clarity, the shunt in the battery wire reads battery current, which is charge and loads combined, and combined in a fairly unpredictable manner. However is you know the charge current (Icc), then a true load current value is obtainable by subtracting Iwb from Icc.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

dgd

Quote from: zoneblue on July 20, 2014, 02:20:33 AM
Just for clarity, the shunt in the battery wire reads battery current, which is charge and loads combined, and combined in a fairly unpredictable manner. However is you know the charge current (Icc), then a true load current value is obtainable by subtracting Iwb from Icc.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was two or more Classics/Kids with Wbjrs that apart from one monitoring battery current another could be monitoring load usage current or some device input current. It would probably need some way in MNGP or local app to identify the measured current and it stats over time.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

wondras

Just wanted to say... getting the WBjr attached wasn't *that* bad. I put tape over the screws while I seated the WBjr, then screwed right through the tape to lock it down.

THANK YOU for making it able to coexist with another meter, and even including the right hardware to do it. My trusty old Tri-Metric still makes a great "gas gauge" when it's on the Amp-hour display.