Setting up kid to run heater with excess power

Started by eddyvanhalen, November 21, 2015, 02:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddyvanhalen

hello all, I searched this forum without complete success, so wanted to post...  I know the kid can divert excess power from the array, but I don't know how to wire it or what settings to apply.  I have a 120v heater that I'd like to power when the battery bank is floating.  Do I wire it directly to the load terminals? Then, do I set the controller to diversion or pwm divert?. I want the heater to run only when there is excess power... That is, when batteries are floating... 

Also, the heater is some distance from the kid. I'd rather not have a long run of cable.  So, a relay might be better, but how then would the kid pwm?. Anyhow, a wiring diagram and settings would be very helpful.... 

FYI, 48 volt, off grid, 1000 watt array, heater draws 500 watts on low setting. 

Highflyer

EddyV,

I don't think you understand the what is going on with the divert system.  The Kid will divert power in the LOAD menu.  It will divert it per your settings.  Sounds like you want to use FLOAT ON.  In that setting, the Kid will divert the excess power to the load when the batteries reach float.  It will send battery voltage equivalent voltage.  Your 120 volt heater element has a set resistance.  This will limit the amperage that will flow through it.  In rough numbers, your 120V 500 watt heater will have about 29 ohms. That means your 48 volt system which should float around 56 volts, will have a maximum amperage of around 2 amps, multiply this by your voltage, 56 and you will see around  112 watts.  Minus the line loss if your run is long, and you will not capture a lot of extra power.  I would look into 48 volt DC heaters.  Then you could use a lot more power if it is available.

Hope this helps.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing