Battery Temp Sensor & settings

Started by mike90045, January 02, 2016, 03:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike90045

Why cannot Temperature Compensation be set to 0, without the system thinking there is no sensor connected?
or - why cannot different mV settings be used, why is -0.5 the smallest value ? why is this not infinitely adjustable, and how does the Classic decide how many 2V cells you have installed. 

It would be nice to monitor battery temperature and NOT have the voltages adjust to allow different battery chemistries.

Nobody likes to see in RED on the Local App BAT: Sensor Not Installed 
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Cniemand

I agree, Mike. I set it to the lowest, but Temperature adjusting/compensation is not needed for LFP batteries. I just want to be able to see a temperature reading for the sake of knowing what the conditions of the battery is.

- Cloud
OFF-GRID @ 8500FT : 2000w Array : 8 - CS6P-250P ; VFX 3648 ; WBjr ; MN CL200 #6738 ; FW #2079  
48v LiFePo4 : 16 - CALB CA 100 aH in Series - 5 kWh ; No Active BMS - Bottom Balanced
Charging Parameters : Bulk - 55v, Absorb - 5 EndAmps @ 55v, Float - 54v or 3.375v per Cell : ZERO EQUALIZE

boB

Quote from: mike90045 on January 02, 2016, 03:38:25 PM
Why cannot Temperature Compensation be set to 0, without the system thinking there is no sensor connected?
or - why cannot different mV settings be used, why is -0.5 the smallest value ? why is this not infinitely adjustable, and how does the Classic decide how many 2V cells you have installed. 

It would be nice to monitor battery temperature and NOT have the voltages adjust to allow different battery chemistries.

Nobody likes to see in RED on the Local App BAT: Sensor Not Installed

I didn't know, or ever think  about the LA and red LEDs when mV was set to zero.

No good reason I suppose that steps are 0.5 mV increments.

How it knows how many 2.0 V cells you have is by dividing your nominal battery voltage by 2 and that is how
it arrives at the factor.

A work around to get less than -0.5 mV per cell would be to set your nominal battery voltage for, say, 1/2 of what
it is.  For instance, if you  have a 48V nominal  battery, tell the Classic that it is a 24V nominal  system and then
the temp comp will be -0.25 mV / cell.  This only works if you have a higher than 12V nominal bank of course
because 12V is the minimum the Classic can be set for.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

Quote from: boB on January 03, 2016, 03:59:52 AM

How it knows how many 2.0 V cells you have is by dividing your nominal battery voltage by 2 and that is how
it arrives at the factor.

A work around to get less than -0.5 mV per cell would be to set your nominal battery voltage for, say, 1/2 of what
it is.  For instance, if you  have a 48V nominal  battery, tell the Classic that it is a 24V nominal  system and then
the temp comp will be -0.25 mV / cell.  This only works if you have a higher than 12V nominal bank of course
because 12V is the minimum the Classic can be set for.
boB

So, what is the scenario if I simply change the base battery voltage ?  Will that automatically change all the manual settings to a preload 12V configuration ?
If I import a register settings file, can I change everything back except the battery voltage ?
Can I export a register setting and just change the battery voltage, and then import it back ? 

4245,60,VbattNominal,60,
to
4245,12,VbattNominal,12,

I'm wondering at what point the battery voltage config overrides all the other settings ?

Thanks

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Cniemand

Interesting.... Seems a bit frightening to change the Nominal pack voltage. Would that not mess up what voltage range that the Classic gives you to play with for the Set-points??

I hope that a future firmware revision allows the compensation to be set to zero while still retaining the BTS function.

Cloud
OFF-GRID @ 8500FT : 2000w Array : 8 - CS6P-250P ; VFX 3648 ; WBjr ; MN CL200 #6738 ; FW #2079  
48v LiFePo4 : 16 - CALB CA 100 aH in Series - 5 kWh ; No Active BMS - Bottom Balanced
Charging Parameters : Bulk - 55v, Absorb - 5 EndAmps @ 55v, Float - 54v or 3.375v per Cell : ZERO EQUALIZE

mike90045

I've not tried to change things yet, regarding the pack voltage setting.

Hoping to hear if I can just modify the export registers file from 60v to 12v, or what is the best sequence to set things - pack voltage first, then other voltages

boB

Quote from: mike90045 on January 07, 2016, 05:05:06 PM
I've not tried to change things yet, regarding the pack voltage setting.

Hoping to hear if I can just modify the export registers file from 60v to 12v, or what is the best sequence to set things - pack voltage first, then other voltages

Doing that would change your battery temp comp per 2V cell from -5mV down to  12/60 * 5mV = 1mV per degree C...
Now, THAT's with the temp comp setting at -5mV  so if you reduce it even lower, and I haven't tried this, but bring it down
to -0.5 mV  and that ~should~ get you REAL close to, if not, AT zero.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

Quote from: boB on January 03, 2016, 03:59:52 AM...How it knows how many 2.0 V cells you have is by dividing your nominal battery voltage by 2 and that is how it arrives at the factor.

it is.  For instance, if you  have a 48V nominal  battery, tell the Classic that it is a 24V nominal  system ......

Tried to fool around with this today (it was sunny and had an hour in absorb).  Just lost my harvest info for the day.
Could not get the local app to IMPORT registers from my laptop (that I had downloaded via EXPORT 5 minutes earlier)

so now I have 2 questions.

1) the format the Classic expects to see the registers in ?  To me, they appear to be plain text, NOTEPAD seems to read them just fine, but if I change a value in the file, the Classic seems to ignore the upload.  When an upload via Local App is successful, what is the indication on the LA or the Classic ?  rebooting did not load the new values I thought I uploaded

2) I tried changing the Battery Voltage preset, but it re-did ALL the values to the presets, and not having any success getting the Register file to load, I didn't want to try to manually re-fill everything else, so I abandoned that too, to await the wisdom from the forums

Resthome

Mike you might post this in the Local App forum and see if Andrew sees it there.

My guess is while Notepad can view the file trying to edit it could induce some things the Classic doesn't like to see when it is being loaded back it. I don't know how Andrew is loading it back in. Is he writing to each register or what?
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

atop8918

Cross posting answer is here
http://kb1uas.com/mnsforum/index.php?topic=2910.new#new
in case anyone wanted to follow.

Just changing the battery voltage won't work as there are a bunch of dependencies. Here is my code from the Local app which handles setting the nominal battery voltage. It was based on boB's code at the time, I'm not sure if anything has changed:

private function handleQsetButton(e:Event):void
        {
           var battMult:uint = _qsetCombo.selectedItem.data / 12;
            _absorbVolts.value = battMult * 14.3;

manageVoltageLimits();

_eqVolts.value     = battMult * 14.3
            _floatVolts.value  = battMult * 13.6;

_absorbMaxTime.totalMinutes = 120;
//            _absorbMinTime.totalMinutes = 30;

_tempMaxVolt.value = battMult * 14.6;
            _tempMinVolt.value = battMult * 13.2;

/* do the current limit as well: */
            _limitsOutputAmps.maximum = _classicTypeInfo.GetOutputCurrentLimit(_qsetCombo.selectedItem.data);

}

private function manageVoltageLimits():
{
            /* float voltage max will track the absorb voltage (absorb - 0.1) */
            _floatVolts.maximum = _absorbVolts.value - 0.1;

/* Equalize voltage will track absorb voltage */
            _eqVolts.minimum    = _absorbVolts.value;

if(_tempMinVolt.value > _floatVolts.value)
            {
                _tempMinVolt.value      = _floatVolts.value;
                _tempMinVolt.maximum    = _floatVolts.value;
            }

if(_tempMaxVolt.value < _absorbVolts.value)
            {
                _tempMaxVolt.value      = _absorbVolts.value;
                _tempMaxVolt.minimum    = _absorbVolts.value;
            }     

if(_tempMaxVolt.value < _eqVolts.value)
            {
                _tempMaxVolt.value      = _eqVolts.value;
                _tempMaxVolt.minimum    = _eqVolts.value;
            }

}

atop8918

I also seem to remember that it might be necessary to set the mode to OFF before trying to change the battery voltage. The import feature should be doing this, but it's possible that it is not and relying on the CC to be in an OFF state when loading values.

The register file is exposes raw-modbus-register access to the Classic, and you should read the disclaimer in the MODBUS spec before you try manually changing settings.  You should read the MODBUS spec anywaym as much as it reflects the current state of the registers I can't say though.
The Classic is an incredibly complicated machine register-wise which is one reason the Local App is so damn big. There are a lot of dependencies and changing a setting without knowing exactly what it does can potentially destroy the unit.

atop8918

Just stating again in bigger font:

The register file is exposes raw-modbus-register access to the Classic, and you should read the disclaimer in the MODBUS spec before you try manually changing settings.  You should read the MODBUS spec anyway as much as it reflects the current state of the registers I can't say though.
The Classic is an incredibly complicated machine register-wise which is one reason the Local App is so damn big. There are a lot of dependencies and changing a setting without knowing exactly what it does can potentially destroy the unit.

mike90045

Well, tonight, I played around with things, and I think it's working OK (mostly) 
I set battery voltage to 12V, reset all my volts to my proper values and re-enabled the temp comp so I can see the battery temp.

The one problem is that the Voltmeter in the local app, is set to a 12V scale, and the needle is wrapped around itself, looks weird, but the digital readout is correct.