MNGP Backlight

Started by kitestrings, October 17, 2023, 09:24:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitestrings

Hi Folks,

We just received our Classic back from MS.  We had, had a lightning storm that took out the Aux relays.  Everything else was working.  They turned it around pretty quickly (new board, some caps, FETs); all have been helpful.

It's up and operational except for one quirk.  The MNGP will not hold the selected backlight setting. Backlight defaults to -0-.  In MISC->MNGP->Backlight I can adjust it up, but it defaults back as soon as I exit via Main Menu or Status.  Enter does not save in this screen.  Backlight defaults to -0-.  I've also noticed that PWRSV defaults to Off, when I had previously selected the Backlight Long setting.  Functionally every thing else seems to be working.

I've tried power cycling, VMM, resetting MNGP defaults (MISC/MNGP/EXTRAS type in 1-4-2 and pick YES), and plugging unplugging connector.

If I swap it with our second unit cover to this Classic the MNGP works normal, so appear to be the panel.

Anyone ever encountered this?  ~ks

boB

Sounds like a problem with the MNGP's external 32 MB Flash memory or its interface.

There are other things stored in there as well like, speaker volume and voices for the audio.

You won't see the same message as when you store to the Classic from other menus.  Some of the TWEAKS menu stuff that only go to the MNGP itself will not show that is has saved to MNGP either.

Not sure if even setting time saves to MNGP ?  No, it doesn't.  Neither does backlight or contrast etc.

You tried a Vulcan Mind Meld factory reset ?   I don't remember if that would affect this.  If now, I would get another MNGP from us and send that one back.

Sorry I don't have a better answer.  If I think of it, I will repost.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

kitestrings

Yes, I tried the VMM.

I've just discovered another issue... if I go to Wind Mode, which is where we operate, I could not program a wind curve.  I finally did it on the App and was able to save it to the Classic.  But, if I go to graph and hit MEM, it only flashes what should be the next, to say save as MEM1, MEM2, etc.

Todd is sending me a new MSGP, but frankly I'm not sure why I should have had to pay for it. This appears to have a bug.

boB

It does sound like your MNGP has a problem. 

As for paying for a new one, what may happen is that we charge for the MNGP but cancel that when we receive the old one back here.  Is that what is happening maybe ?  You had to give a credit card number or something like that ? 

I do not know if that is what we do but I know that it used to be a way to go to make sure we received a unit back in trade.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

kitestrings

Hi boB,

There actually was no discussion about returning this one.  Apparently they don't repair them any more. 

I'm sorry if I sounded grumpy there.  I'm just ready to get it back to normal.  And Lord knows, I've gotten far and away more support over the years from you, Ryan, Roy, and all... than this will cost to replace ($130).

If there might be something to learn from it, I'm happy to send it in, otherwise it's all good.

Best, ~ks

Wizbandit

Lightning is unpredictable... I suspect the lightning strike danced across this Classic in a "flash" and caused the damage to the EEPROM (memory chip).  Even I would not trust a repair and a new MNGP is the best way to go.

Jim
MNS Tech Support (part time)
Applications Engineer
New Product Testing
COMBOX Programmer

kitestrings

"Lightning is unpredictable..."

I had a friend who used to say, "You can't sweat the small stuff...and it's all small stuff".  Here meaning, I believe, was to frame thing in the context of larger, life-choice, life-changing events.  That said, the small stuff can be annoying.  The lightning damage was mostly to smaller things, but seems to be the gift that keeps giving.

We lost:

the two Aux relays
the RPM board on the windmill
our television signal booster
an OS on a garage light, and a relay associated with this circuit
a small battery trickle charger
the actuator control for the furling of our turbine

Regarding this repair, I think they had replaced the MSGP.  The backlight worked on the unit when I sent it in.

I suppose the new unit could have gotten a rough bump in shipment or something(?)

Anyhow, small stuff put in context.

FNG

I am digging into this on my end as well, I believe lightning strikes should warrant a battery of tests and I also believe no backlight should have been noticed in the repair dept. Sorry for the hassle on this one

kitestrings

Just sharing that we received the new MSGP a few days ago.  It's in, and things are back to normal; backlight and all.  Thanks.  ~ks

kitestrings

Hi Folks,

Our new controller, or actually repaired controller with a new MNGP, is working great.  Thanks MS Crew.

I've notice one quirky thing that I just thought I should share, should anyone else encounter it.  I wrote it off to clumsy hands, but now it has happened twice.  Quick background:

We have 2- Classic 250s controlling a 15' homebuilt axial-flux wind turbine.
The first, Kitewind, starts about 58-60V cut-in and takes the first ~2.5 kW
The second (the repaired unit), Kitewin2, wakes at 70V, and picks up higher end production from ~85-135V.

On Kitewin2, we are using Aux2 in Waste-Not-Hi to divert "opportunity load" to a preheat water heater.  It works very well.

A recent morning I started up the turbine and noticed that Kitewind was registering power, but that Kitewin2 was only tracking input voltage, but not coming out of "Resting" mode as it should, and had been doing just the day before.  After a handful of checks... breakers, wind mode ON, and a couple reboots, it still was not working.

What I discovered was that somehow the Aux2 setting had jumped to a, foreign to me, Logic Input selection; something we've never used.  It appears in this mode input voltage >6V keeps the thing it Resting mode.  I had no idea how it got to this screen.  It is way near the bottom of the selections in this menu.  And, our settings are always 'saved'.  Since then, I've seen it 'jump' to this setting, just when I'm arrowing, right/left, from Aux1 to Aux2.

I suspect that for many applications Aux settings don't get moved much.  Wind is a bit different.  We regularly tweak dependent on PV & wind resource, and elect manual on/off in the case of neighboring Aux1.  I don't know that there's anything broke, or to be done, perhaps it is just the softkeys breaking in/being touchy.  Is there some "hot button" sequence that I might have hit?  Otherwise, just sharing experience.

Best, ~ks