Lite 150 stopped charging

Started by mobywile, February 03, 2015, 05:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobywile

Thanks everyone.  I may lose my internet again today so I'll try to be prompt here.
Correct, dgd.  Too much on the side.  I am convinced I do not have a wiring issue that is affecting this.  I will need to upgrade soon, but not now.  I have swapped the array inputs and there was no change.  Yesterday I removed the comm wires and disabled "Follow Me".  Same result.  I have power-cycled the bugger - no change.  All the blinky lights do as they should and the fans test correctly. 
Settings: Eq. 14.7V, Absorb 14.2V, Float 13.6V.  Changed to Legacy P&O and no change.  MNGP reads BulkMPPT.
Powering off the working Classic Lite does not encourage the other one.  Getting juice into this thing is like trying to get in to Club 47 on a Saturday night!!
I just went down and cycled everything again and same result. 
vtmaps.  Prior to buying these units, I discussed the "beauty" of not having to have identical arrays/strings.  I knew I would be wiring in this configuration because I will be transitioning to more panels and a 24v system later on.  Now, the working Lite has 8 panels on it all identical Suntech STP180-24s.  3 parallel connected PV modules for source circuit #1, same for source circuit #2, and 2 parallel connected PV modules for source circuit #3.  These are all combined and connected to, can you believe it, the working Lite.  The non-working Lite has 3 parallel connected PV modules for source circuit #1, and the same for source circuit #2, combined to power the now non-working Lite.  The working Lite is humming right along here in high Rocky Mountain sunshine.  Thanks for asking, though.
Right now, 10:15AM, the temps on the working Lite are: Remote 30.8, Batt. 17.4, FTEs 64.2, and PCB 57.1.  All nice and cozy and running smoothly while charging at 1250 watts.
Halfcrazy.  Both were in Bulk MPPT.  I have checked the RFR many time and the result is always #5.
Is therr any info I can glean from my Local App?  Can anyone else look at over the ether?  I haven't set that up yet.  A today chore if I can;t find any other tests or checks to do. 
As always, thank you.  Hope the repeater holds out today.  New one going up tonight sometime.
18x Suntech 180S-24, 2x MN Classic Lite 150 with remote MNGP, MN WBJr. 6x SimpliPhi 3.8 Kw 24vdc, , Magnum 4024 PAE.
Off-grid since 1980 and, maybe, done growing my system

dgd

Moby,
Ok, if you have swapped the working pv array to the non working Lite and you still get no power through it (with other Lite powered off)
then you seem to have proven there is a problem with that Lite.
In saying that I'm assuming you have the identical settings in it as the working Lite.
And you are 100% sure there is no wiring issues or other gotcha issues.

As a final test you could completely remove the Lite from all wiring and take it away from your power room (to garden table), wire a single battery to it and take just one panel away from an array, I mean totally away from all wiring and other panels and frame, lean it against the garden table roughly pointing to sun and then see if the Lite will charge this single battery with this single panel. Use new wire too and keep it all in short lengths. If the Lite is still not doing anything then...

So you should probably contact your dealer or where ever you purchased it from and get them to test/fix/replace it.
Midnite provide excellent product support so it should not take long to resolve this.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Halfcrazy

What I would suggest is to plug the MNGP into the Lite directly, Turn it on (battery and PV power) and watch he input voltage? Does it dive right down to battery when it goes to bulk or is it staying at voc?
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mobywile

OK, Halfcrazy, I powered down, turned off the "Follow Me", input V were at 9.2.  When I powered back up,  input V went to 42.7 immediately. 
Dgd.  I don't have a battery laying around at the moment.  Guess I can take the one out of the truck, but I'll have to do that tomorrow.  Blowing 50 out there at times.  If you really think that's a good idea, I'll give it a go.
I am the "dealer" here.  A very considerate distributor volunteered to reenstate me after the fire so I could get what I needed to restore my stuff.  So, I'll get in touch with MN Customer Service tomorrow and see what I can do.
Thanks for everything.  Internet is in and out all afternoon.  I'll check the postings every hour if it's on.
18x Suntech 180S-24, 2x MN Classic Lite 150 with remote MNGP, MN WBJr. 6x SimpliPhi 3.8 Kw 24vdc, , Magnum 4024 PAE.

Halfcrazy

Quote from: mobywile on February 08, 2015, 05:48:46 PM
OK, Halfcrazy, I powered down, turned off the "Follow Me", input V were at 9.2.  When I powered back up,  input V went to 42.7 immediately. 

Ok so there is good VOC but did it click the relay and go to bulk MPPT? If so what does the input voltage do. I would definitely give Roy and the crew a call Monday they can help solve this for sure

mobywile

I didn't hear any click like I used to.   The input voltage goes to 33v or so here late in the day.  It did go to Bulk immediately...
I now have both of these on the local app, but I am lost with the MAC address, etc.  I have e-mailed mymidnite with my inadequacies.  Someone will get to me tomorrow, I'm sure.  The data on this unit is drastic.  Great charge one day and nothing the next.  Can I send this info to anyone over the 'net?  The temps are right where they should be, etc. 
Gettin' any snow there?
Dry as a desert here...
Thanks a million.  Moby

mobywile

Thanks Halfcrazy.  I talked with Roy today and the Lite is on its way to tech.  Thanks for all the help and, if you want, I'll relay the results.  I owe it to everyone who has spent the time and energy to help me out.
Meanwhile, I'm looking longingly at the Garage Sale MNPV3s.
Later...

Halfcrazy

Moby
Yes I feel getting it back to the doctor for a check up is a good idea.

Ryan

mobywile

Update time.  I returned the Lite to MN as directed.  Thanks to all who facilitated this, including Ryan and Roy.  I don't have the complete rundown yet, but the quick explanation is that the Main relay was not functioning.  New board and returning as we speak.  I should have it on the 23rd, late.  More next week.  Meanwhile, the remaining Lite has been operating as expected.  Sure could use the bigger charging capability right now.  4 days of snow and cloudy weather coming up. 
Moby

mobywile

Got it back and installed.  One day of sun and all is, mostly, well.  I probably need to load the updated firmware?  Maybe do the reset?  Absolutely no docs with the return.  No mention of the repair, except a note from Roy prior to receiving the unit.  I'll be doing some looking around today, maybe - if it ever stops snowing!
Thanks to everyone.
Moby

Vic

Quote from: mobywile on February 26, 2015, 01:00:56 PM
   ...  I probably need to load the updated firmware?  Maybe do the reset?   ...   Thanks to everyone.
Moby

Moby,  Good idea to Update the FW,  and the VMM Reset after updating the FW is the correct thing to do.   Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mobywile

Hey Vic.  Did the FW update and the VMM reset.  Awesome results.  Except....  My MAC and my ID remain the same for both Lites.  Now, I didn't do an MMGP update.  Is this the problem?  The only place(s) that I have any difficulty is on the MyMidnite for my Android website.  The Tablet has both Lites recorded and monitored.  But, on the MNGP, the addresses are the same.  Wierd, or just an old fart "situation"?
I am so happy that all the - almost - possibilities are on track!  I have looked through a lot of the Forum Posts and I am grateful for the people who seem to spend their precious time monitoring folks like me.
Moby

TomW

Quote from: mobywile on February 27, 2015, 08:42:17 PM
Hey Vic.  Did the FW update and the VMM reset.  Awesome results.  Except....  My MAC and my ID remain the same for both Lites.  Now, I didn't do an MMGP update.  Is this the problem?  The only place(s) that I have any difficulty is on the MyMidnite for my Android website.  The Tablet has both Lites recorded and monitored.  But, on the MNGP, the addresses are the same.  Wierd, or just an old fart "situation"?
I am so happy that all the - almost - possibilities are on track!  I have looked through a lot of the Forum Posts and I am grateful for the people who seem to spend their precious time monitoring folks like me.
Moby

Moby;

If by "MAC" you mean the device MAC address, it will never change, it should be a permanent value across any upgrades.

From Wikipedia:
A media access control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to network interfaces for communications on the physical network segment. MAC addresses are used as a network address for most IEEE 802 network technologies, including Ethernet and WiFi.

Just FYI

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

mobywile

He's BACK...  All has been pretty stable here at the casa.  Now, The MAC address question.  On my Local App, the "new" address appears on the rebuilt Lite.  On my Remote MNGP, the addresses are still both the same, although they operate separately and FollowMe works fine.  When I go to the MyMidnite site to register my "new" Lite, they do not recognize the MAC as a valid address.  Consequently I cannot register it on there.  The comment they give is that it takes a week or so for MN to update their list of MAC addresses somewhere, I do not have a clue.  It has been long enough.
A couple of times I have tried to access my 2 Lites in the morning and the "Device Not Available" notice comes up on one or both of them.  Yesterday, one of the Lites was not there altogether!  Uninstalled the App, rebooted everything, and still one was missing.  Went to the MNGP, and the "Enabled" was turned off.  Am I missing something here?  Before reinstalling the App, I checked all my cables and the modem, etc.  All was connected and trying to do the job.  After all the reinstall stuff, It has been working fine. 
I happened to be in the Power Room late yesterday, an a yellow LED was on for a short time.  I have no idea what that means.  System was on Float, Vin was 34.5, BattV was 14.1, and charge was down around 25-30A.  When I turned on the well pump and the BattV dropped, the light went out and all went fine.
Yes, I have updated my Firmware to all devices - twice. 
Will this be an ongoing conundrum?  My wife would like me to start a new discussion for spouses/partners who do NOT want to be stuck with a senile hubby (some day) and a system they cannot fathom.  She has been a full partner in the care and feeding of our systems for 34 years and I sympathize.  I did notice there was someone else who had asked for a "Classics For Dumbies(sic)" manual. 
Guess I have too much time on my hands, here.  Better go and bring in firewood...
Moby
... and thanks...

mobywile

All is working great now.  My batteries are much happier and so am I.
I am taking the advice of many of you and upgrading my combiner boxes and disconnects with MN boxes and breakers.  Tearing out all my old stuff almost breaks my heart - we've been friends for so long...  But, thanks to everyone for sticking with me and bringing me into the 21st century.