Can't find COM port

Started by toothy, December 13, 2011, 02:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toothy

I'm trying to get the updates loaded and have 2 problems.

1) I can't find the COM port on my computer, it's running windows 7.  Do I need to find it and change it, as shown in the video, or just plug it up and see what happens?

2) My second issue is that I requested the update for XP and should have requested the one for 7, do I need to get the one for 7 or is the XP version OK?

Thanks for the help
Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

boB

Quote from: toothy on December 13, 2011, 02:08:22 PM
I'm trying to get the updates loaded and have 2 problems.

1) I can't find the COM port on my computer, it's running windows 7.  Do I need to find it and change it, as shown in the video, or just plug it up and see what happens?

2) My second issue is that I requested the update for XP and should have requested the one for 7, do I need to get the one for 7 or is the XP version OK?

Thanks for the help
Wade

Hi Wade.
When you download the update   (or is that upload the downdate ?), you get all that we have or all you should need.

You will need to try and change the com port that the Classic brings up when it is plugged in.  If you don't, it may
bring up a different port at different times.   Changing the properties in the control panel will make it come up
with the same port every time.  So far it has done this anyway...   If you can't get it to be on COM 8, there IS a
way to make the software work on other COM ports.  It simply means you will have to edit the batch files and change
the -COM 8  to some other number if you need.  Usually, it's pretty easy to change that com port though.  The video
should show how to do this.  I'm using XP here myself and don't have win 7 handy.

Which edition of windows 7 do you have ?   32 bit ?  64 bit ?   Home ? Pro ?  Premium ?  Ultimate ?

We  have tried all the version we could get our hands on but maybe you have stumped us ?

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

The update is all the same regardless of the Operating system. With the Classic on and the usb cable plugged into the computer. Click on the windows start icon (Lower left) then right click Computer and select properties on the pop up screen select device manager. Under ports (Com and LPT) there should be a item called USB cdc serial port emulation right click it and select properties go to port settings and advanced and then change the port to Com8 and OK your way out.

Let us know if this does not get you there and we will help you with it.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

toothy

It's not your stuff. My com port is missing, I mean not on either of my machines, so it's something I have fixed long ago, aka something I screwed up.

If you search "com port missing" there are a bunch of us, I'm not the only person with this problem. Something about being disabled in the BIOS what ever that is.

Thanks
Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

Halfcrazy

Well you are not alone I can think of 100 things I have fixed that use to work fine :o I have that ability. boB may have an answer for you on this?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Tinman

In almost all instances, for Windows 7 the com port setting after the firmware install software is loaded, a com port conflict exists. Change the com port as previously described. That is why you can't connect.

For Windows 7, you normally should not see com ports unless the equipment using it is connected. Therefore, connect first, then modify com port usage settings. Com and Lpt ports are legacy and Windows did away with them in Vista going forward. They can exist but not as physical devices like we saw for XP and prior versions.

Windows 7 (all versions) will work with the default com port requested by the software unless you have other hardware that uses it and that hardware is connected. Some legacy GPS systems will use com 8 although most use com 7.

boB

BTW, there was no rhyme or reason why I happened to pick COM 8 for this.

In the .BAT files,  you can change them to anything you want.

Even when windoze tells me that port (8) is unavailable, I was able to use it.
Not exactly sure why.  Now, if someone can tell me how to tell what port is
being used by the Classic, automatically, with its USB identifier, we might be able to bypass
this changing of ports.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

I tried plugging it in today and nothing good happened, but nothing bad either, which in my book is good.

I got no new found hardware stuff when I turned it on, but tomorrow is another day. Today, I went on to plumbing, wiring, framing and concrete work after dealing with this stuff, I needed to relax.

The led above the usb port when plugged in is red on mine not green, as in the video, is that bad?

I'll try changing the com port when it is connected, as boB said in reply #1 but I missed.  I guess I just figured it would be easier to change the com port before I got to the battery room, teach me to think ahead.

It's hard to change what you can't find, even with hours of looking in places that I know I shouldn't be. I even tried to tear up the wife's computer, but they are both still functioning! So far!

Thanks
Wade

boB

Good morning, Wade.

Now, last night when I was testing a revision of code, I plugged in my Classic to the XP laptop and
got the Ding-Ding  and everything, but it just would not start the upload.  Tried is a few times.
So, I went to the control panel/settings/hardware/LPT and COM ports and sure enough, the Classic
was there (CDC serial emulation) and on COM 8.  Don't know why it didn't start the download.
I have not re-installed the USB driver for a LONG time now so I right-clicked on properties
for that CDC emulation COM 8 (Classic still plugged in so that's why the CDC emulation COM 8 was
up in the first place), and I UN-Installed the drivers for that.   Then I unplugged the USB cable
and plugged it into the laptop again and "New Hardware Found"  and it showed up as the bootloader
V 1.01....  went through the usual driver installation again and all was fine and it uploaded to the
Classic and MNGP (remote) just great.

I have limited experience with windoze 7 but it was working well last I saw.

You do have to sometimes (all the time ?) say "YES"  to windows 7 to let the upgrade software do
its thing.  Not sure which versions require that but that may not have anything to do with your
problem there.

Good thing things are working at least.   If it ain't broke, ya know ?...  But there are more fun
features to come so it will definitely be nice to figure this out.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

No luck with my computer. It never would see any new hardware and the com port didn't show up when connected.

I'm going to get a friend to try with their computer.

Does having the wind thing in the Classic set to my specific turbine make more power?

Thanks
Wade

boB

Quote from: toothy on December 15, 2011, 04:06:14 PM
No luck with my computer. It never would see any new hardware and the com port didn't show up when connected.

I'm going to get a friend to try with their computer.

Does having the wind thing in the Classic set to my specific turbine make more power?

Thanks
Wade

The proper wind power curve will definitely help to make more power with a wind turbine.

Let us know how your friend's computer works for the update.  Which version of windows did you have again ?
Pro ?  32 bit ? 64 bit ?  Home ?

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

toothy

My buddies computer running XP got the job done! Everything worked as it was supposed to accept  the first time we tried it the black box popped up but it didn't count up the percentage done and then the black box just disappeared.

We then did the MNGP and saw how the percentage counted up and knew the first one didn't take so we did it again and all worked fine.

My computer that didn't work is running windows 7 home premium and I believe it's 64-bit.

Please don't think it's your stuff, I have probably just done something to my computer that won't let it recognize new hardware. My understanding of this stuff reminds me of an old girlfriend pretty wide but quite shallow.... :-[

Thanks for your help
Wade

boB

Quote from: toothy on December 16, 2011, 04:01:38 AM
My buddies computer running XP got the job done! Everything worked as it was supposed to accept  the first time we tried it the black box popped up but it didn't count up the percentage done and then the black box just disappeared.

One thing that will make the black dos screen come up and go away quickly is if the USB was plugged into the classic while
it is still running.  The PC program will be weird if the port is already live.

Glad you got it to work, but we must figure out why windoze 7 did not work.

Thanks for the input, Wade !!

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

Quote from: boB on December 16, 2011, 01:56:46 PM
Glad you got it to work, but we must figure out why windoze 7 did not work

Solve that, and you will inherit the empire !   

Don't you have to be in Admin Mode, to get full use of comm ports in Win7 ?
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

Quote from: mike90045 on December 16, 2011, 03:29:24 PM
Quote from: boB on December 16, 2011, 01:56:46 PM
Glad you got it to work, but we must figure out why windoze 7 did not work

Solve that, and you will inherit the empire !   

Don't you have to be in Admin Mode, to get full use of comm ports in Win7 ?

Yes, I believe you do.  But I must have already been in that mode when I got it to work in win 7.  I think it just asked
me if I really wanted to let that device into the system.

BTW, I just this morning had to replace my USB hub after spilling coffee on it !  XP did not always recognize the Classic.
I replaced the hub and it seems to be back to 100 %.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me