Local App Unlock code.

Started by viola, May 19, 2014, 11:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viola

OK, so I installed our new Classic Lite 150 in its new mountaintop home with configuration set by dip-switch, connected it to the network, came down the mountain and can access it - except that it asks for an unlock code before I can configure it.

Now I've read the local app pdf manual carefully and see no reference to any need for an unlock code or any explanation of what it is.  I read it again backwards and have combed it for a cypher which might reveal the secret of the unlock code to the arcane initiated but without success.  Hence I am saddened by the realisation that as a mere ordinary purchaser of this device I am not entitled to join the inner sanctum of devotees to whom the secrets of the unlock code are to be divulged and will be for ever limited to merely reading whatever information the app chooses to present to me in its mercy, and must troop up the mountain to pay my devotions to the device in person anytime I want anything done.

This is particularly annoying given the three-hour head-banging experience associated with installing the local app in the first place. 

Attempt one:  installing via the Mymidnite web-page hung and I had to back out after half-an-hour.

Attempt two:  the Adobe Air exe file downloaded from the link on your site refused to install due to a 'missing file' somewhere very unlikely on my C: drive

Attempt three:  I abandoned all attempts to download Adobe Air from the Adobe site as it seems to be possible only if you first download some crappy download-manager probably crammed with spy-ware

Attempt four:  I finally managed to get an installable copy of Adobe Air from my favourite file-sharing site

nb.  Crap like Adobe Air is something I would normally not have within a mile of my main machine given Adobe software's record of security breaches and its appalling responses in dealing with them.  With its withdrawal of Linux support for an already foundering, hardly popular product I suspect Air's days are numbered and IMHO that can't come a day too soon.

This ability to network to the Classic was for me its main selling point but I'm sadly disappointed by it.   Bogart's Pentametric with ethernet interface would have been a much better buy and this is something I wil have to consider for future solar schemes.

Resthome

Quote from: viola on May 19, 2014, 11:45:46 PM
OK, so I installed our new Classic Lite 150 in its new mountaintop home with configuration set by dip-switch, connected it to the network, came down the mountain and can access it - except that it asks for an unlock code before I can configure it.

Now I've read the local app pdf manual carefully and see no reference to any need for an unlock code or any explanation of what it is.  I read it again backwards and have combed it for a cypher which might reveal the secret of the unlock code to the arcane initiated but without success.  Hence I am saddened by the realisation that as a mere ordinary purchaser of this device I am not entitled to join the inner sanctum of devotees to whom the secrets of the unlock code are to be divulged and will be for ever limited to merely reading whatever information the app chooses to present to me in its mercy, and must troop up the mountain to pay my devotions to the device in person anytime I want anything done.

The unlock code in the LA is the SN of your Classic.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Westbranch

This is particularly annoying given the three-hour head-banging experience associated with installing the local app in the first place. 
Attempt four:  I finally managed to get an installable copy of Adobe Air from my favourite file-sharing site.

Ah, so I am not the only one (there are several others I know of ) having trouble getting the L-App to install.

Never mind the 3 weekends, with 6 hours driving to go out and back each time and the many hours sitting dumbfounded, asking what is going wrong???

I also had a problem with doing a FW update simultaneously...  It went in at the end of weekend 3...  now just the LA to get straight...

Believe me, the sense of accomplishment will be great!
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Resthome

I'm waiting for that iPad version of the LA. We now have two versions for the Droid devices. I hope the iPad app has not been shielded for lack of resources.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

dgd

nb.  Crap like Adobe Air is something I would normally not have within a mile of my main machine given Adobe software's record of security breaches and its appalling responses in dealing with them.  With its withdrawal of Linux support for an already foundering, hardly popular product I suspect Air's days are numbered and IMHO that can't come a day too soon.

I don't think you will get any users of this forum disagreeing with you. These AIR issues were pointed out end 2012 when the Local App was released after a year or more in development.
Air's security record is a worry and withdrawal of Linux support lessened the versatility of the Classic.
There was mention of a revised local app not involving AIR but that seems to have quietly faded away.

This ability to network to the Classic was for me its main selling point but I'm sadly disappointed by it.   Bogart's Pentametric with ethernet interface would have been a much better buy and this is something I wil have to consider for future solar schemes.

The Classic's network features are severely limited, some (like me) would say broken.
I have installed about 16 Classics in 2013 and have had to answer user's asking why the Classic does not respond to their web browser.  Recent posts from Midnite have explained no plans to change the network capability or provide a web interface.
(I'm just waiting on some corporate to buy a few thousand Classics and require a more than one tcp connection and the web interface  ???)

The Classic, however, is probably the best featured solar controller available right now. You would be even more disappointed with competitor's offerings.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

zoneblue

The good thing about the classic is that the relatively open modbus interface allows anyone to write software to connect to the classic. At last count there are about a half dozen intiatives on going, and these provide good alternatives to the local app.

While i only use the local app to do configuration, i dont recall ever having any real problems with either Air or the local app, however non ideal they might be. However at some point i stopped Air updating! Hate those things.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Halfcrazy

Attempt one:  installing via the Mymidnite web-page hung and I had to back out after half-an-hour.

Attempt two:  the Adobe Air exe file downloaded from the link on your site refused to install due to a 'missing file' somewhere very unlikely on my C: drive

Attempt three:  I abandoned all attempts to download Adobe Air from the Adobe site as it seems to be possible only if you first download some crappy download-manager probably crammed with spy-ware

Attempt four:  I finally managed to get an installable copy of Adobe Air from my favourite file-sharing site

Well as pointed out the Unlock code is the Numerical portion of that Classics serial#. And if you put your mouse in the box where the code goes it pops up and tells you "This is the serial number of the unit it is on the units label and on the box"

As far as instillation issues I am not sure what to say there. I have installed it 100s of times and it always just "installs" by clicking the link. I have used XP. 7, 8 and 8.1 with no issues. Can any one point out what hangs or what there difficulty was?
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Resthome

The only issue I ever had with installing the LA was when the download would come down as an EXE instead of an AIR file. Haven't had that problem lately.
John

GHOSTNH

"This ability to network to the Classic was for me its main selling point but I'm sadly disappointed by it."
I agree
EXACTLY MY SENTIMENTS
Although i got mine to function it was more due to ryan and andrew working with me on the mymidnite configuring..

MN needs to update their on line manuals and tutorials for the newer firmware version and  pc operating systems

Unfortunately i have now experience with any other mppt controllers.BUt will surely look  when i need to add another 3600watts of solar this year

i
12 Canadian solar 300 watt panels trace sw5548 two GNB battery banks 1200ahr and 1400ahr total 2600ahr 48v 1 classic lite  5kw backup gen

Halfcrazy

Quote from: Resthome on May 20, 2014, 10:36:13 AM
The only issue I ever had with installing the LA was when the download would come down as an EXE instead of an AIR file. Haven't had that problem lately.

Ah if the file comes down as a non .air all you should have to do is rename it and change the extension to .air

I know IE will tend to make it some odd extensions for some reason

Halfcrazy

Quote from: GHOSTNH on May 20, 2014, 05:47:25 PM
"This ability to network to the Classic was for me its main selling point but I'm sadly disappointed by it."
I agree
EXACTLY MY SENTIMENTS
Although i got mine to function it was more due to ryan and andrew working with me on the mymidnite configuring..

MN needs to update their on line manuals and tutorials for the newer firmware version and  pc operating systems

Unfortunately i have now experience with any other mppt controllers.BUt will surely look  when i need to add another 3600watts of solar this year

i

Man am I sorry the Classic is so bad for all of you.  Like any TCP/IP device there can be some quirks to getting everything the way you want it for sure but I did not think we had done such a terrible job??

GHOSTNH Can you be more specific in what disappointing you so badly with your classic? Does it not charge the battery and let you adjust it with the local app etc? I would love to know what on this controller is so bad that makes it so undesirable compared to others?

Again I am sorry for every ones sheer disappointment with there Classics I thought we had done pretty dang good with the monitoring and programming capability we had offered?

viola

Thanks for all that. 

I'm not a programmer, but I have to suspect Air is only required to provide the pretty interface and I for one could live without that.  My suspicion is that the Midnite people have become carried away with the art nouvea 'point of difference' to the extent that form is in danger of taking precedence over function.

I certainly know nothing about modbus pogramming - or even what a modbus is - and while I am sure a day with Google would give me a start I think it very poor that a commercial product should expect such unlikely levels of expertise from its customers to solve their own problems.  Particularly as I can"t see that it would be a major exercise for Midnight to ready and offer a fully functional if unlovely alternative to the glamorous, space-hogging-on-my-desktop local app.

Off now to see if I can find the box the thing came in for its serial number.

Halfcrazy

Quote from: viola on May 20, 2014, 06:32:20 PM
Thanks for all that. 

I'm not a programmer, but I have to suspect Air is only required to provide the pretty interface and I for one could live without that.  My suspicion is that the Midnite people have become carried away with the art nouvea 'point of difference' to the extent that form is in danger of taking precedence over function.

I certainly know nothing about modbus pogramming - or even what a modbus is - and while I am sure a day with Google would give me a start I think it very poor that a commercial product should expect such unlikely levels of expertise from its customers to solve their own problems.  Particularly as I can"t see that it would be a major exercise for Midnight to ready and offer a fully functional if unlovely alternative to the glamorous, space-hogging-on-my-desktop local app.

Off now to see if I can find the box the thing came in for its serial number.

Well the graphics are not really the resource hog so much as the logging is. We made the decision early on to make an attractive interface vs a simple text version. The good news is there are some very nice text versions with no real graphics available out there. There is one on our Home Page done by a hobbyist that is low impact. It does not log but it does all the programming and shows the facts very well.

viola

Quote from: Halfcrazy on May 20, 2014, 06:30:17 PM

Again I am sorry for every ones sheer disappointment with there Classics I thought we had done pretty dang good with the monitoring and programming capability we had offered?

OK Halfcrazy, riddle me this.   On  the local app screen, what does the 'Energy' dial actually display?

I'm sure that to someone who spends all day poring over the finer points of solar-energy to electricity conversion this measure is self evident.  To me the solar panels, converter and batteries are simply a means to an end - to provide power to a mountain-top wireless broadband Access Point,  and all I need is the confidence that if all the various bits are connected as directed they will work as advertised.

Are you aware that nowhere in your local app manual.pdf are the functions of these dials actually explained?  No doubt you consider it them obvious and self-evident, just as I now regard the finer points of 802.11 networking obvious and self evident and can't understand someone not seeing why you'd need a /28 network in some places and a /29 in others.  But I can still remember a time when I had never heard of sub-netting so will take the time and trouble to fill people in on why things are set up the way they are if they want or need to know.

The local app manual is a classic case of a manual written by an expert to himself.

Halfcrazy

Well the gauge labeled Energy also says KWH So it is the actual KWH at that moment the particular Classic has put into the battery and loads.

While I agree the Local App manual is very old and out of date we really tried to make the Local App mimic the Classics language and be very intuitive. Sorry again we are a disappointment.