MyMidnite Classic 150 Stops Responding

Started by TeslasPigeons, August 16, 2015, 11:32:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

The serial port stays open all of the time, I don't actually know how it could be opened/closed.
I can't see an issue with the various Classics I use when reading registers every second.

With the rPi and Classic is the Classic still working (battery charging) when the data comms over serial port is no longer working?
Also try the other serial port on the Classic and see if the problem persists.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TeslasPigeons

Quote from: dgd on August 17, 2015, 11:39:16 PM
With the rPi and Classic is the Classic still working (battery charging) when the data comms over serial port is no longer working?

I believe the charging is still working.  There isn't much of a load on the batteries but it appeared they were full when I went to reset everything.  I went through all the menus and one thing I did notice is before I reset the Classic 150 in the menu section that has MODE, TIME and SENSTVY ours was at:

MODE: 0
TIME: 0
SENSTVY: 00

and below it says ARC FAULT MODE NORMALLY = 1

After I reset it this same menu said:

MODE: 1
TIME: 4
SENSTVY: 10

So I'm not sure what that means... I couldn't quite find the section about it in the datasheet. 

I updated the new firmware so I guess I'll see how long it stays online.

ClassicCrazy

I am not around my Classic right now - but I think there was a setting for what kind of data comes out of the serial port so that might be what the mode is.  Can't remember where that is documented but remember reading it somewhere. 

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

TeslasPigeons

OK I found the relevant sections in the datasheet:

"... from low power arcing to devastating high power arcing, the Classic will detect and shut down with an audible and visible alert to announce that there is a problem in the PV side of the system.  When an arc is detected the Classic has to be manually cleared."

Mode:  Is assigned a 1 from factory default and it should stay that way unless instructed by MidNite Solar.

Time:  This sets the length of arc the Classic has to monitor before tripping the Arc fault detection.  This parameter is set to 4 from the factory.

Sensitivity:  This parameter determines how sensitive the Arc fault detector with 1 being the most sensitive and 15 the least.  This parameter is set to 10 from the factory. 

Now the real question is:  Is an arc actually happening randomly every 2 weeks or is the communication system failing and just messing up all other systems...  ???

boB

We have had a couple of customers that actually had arcs that were detected by the Classic.

If your Classic's arc fault is just too sensitive, crank up the sensitivity numbers all the way and reboot
the Classic for the new numbers to take effect.  (power off and on is one way to reset it)

Lower numbers are MORE sensitive and higher numbers for time and sensitivity are LESS sensitive
to arcs.  Higher numbers should give less tripping.

If it is not too sensitive and you ~might~ have an arc somewhere or some appliance that is causing it
to trip, try turning on and off appliances... Vacuum cleaner, drill, saw, etc. and see if you can make it trip.

Also you might try banging on or wiggling PV and/or battery cables just to make sure there is not a loose
connection there.

It can be a good tool to find bad connections if it is something like that causing the tripping.

Ground Fault detectors are also good for finding wiring problems.  Maybe even a better use than what they
are intended for in the first place !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me