Kid settings for my Lithium battery

Started by bloke, March 22, 2024, 03:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloke

Hi
I just need some help to get the correct settings in The Kid for charging my Lithium battery.
Absorb voltage
Absorb time
Rebulk voltage
Float voltage
I have attached the only specifications I can get for the battery.
Cheers

ClassicCrazy

Their recommended charge setting for absorb are on the very highest side .
Some of it depends on how the bms works.
14.6 / 4 = 3.65 which is the highest a lifepo4 cell should ever get.
I am assuming you don't have any way to monitor the cells via bluetooth app or any software ?
Is this a plastic cased lifepo4 battery ? There are lots out there with different branding.
The float they say is very high.
Usually you want to fill up the battery once a day, then drop to a voltage where the controller will supply power but not continue to charge the battery. That would be around 13.4v though could go as high was 13.5v. Lets assume they have a typo in their specs and the 14.4 float is really supposed to be 13.4v. I think maybe they mean 14.4 is the Absorb voltage. There are lots of different terminology used for absorb, float, etc by different manufacturers and then mix in poor translations so just go with what other more well known battery companies say for their batteries that are similar in construction. The biggest difference will be the voltage the bms is programmed to balance the cells. That would be unknown since there are so many types of bms out there.   
Not sure what kind of battery it is , but if it was me I would go with 14.2v or 14.4v  absorb for about 15 minutes, then float at 13.4v. If at 13.4v and you have load on battery and sufficient pv power available , but it is taking power from the battery instead of from pv, the up the float voltage to 13.5v.
Make sure you check the voltage at the battery when it is in absorb at 14.2v and make sure that both the voltage on Kid and battery agree. If not there is a setting in Kid to compensate the cables so they will agree.
If you notice any strange behavior with the Kid not going to Absorb or Float at the right times - let us know. I think there was some odd behavior with Kid and lithium batteries in the past and Midnite was going to make a firmware update for it. I don't remember the details but it is on the forums somewhere.
Just keep a close eye on it at first and see if it is working properly. I think the issue may have been it going into absorb too soon ?
Hope this helps
Larry

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

bloke

Thanks so much Larry....I really appreciate your help
Cheers