Remote monitoring

Started by Wxboy, April 03, 2012, 12:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wxboy

Can the local app. be viewed over the internet if I open up the Classic's IP address in the DMZ setting on the router and if the local app. software was loaded on the viewing computer?  I'm sure there are risks associated with this but I'm mostly interested in if it can be done and also if others are doing it.  As a side note I am using a static IP. 
Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank

Tinman

You could but the thing you need to deal with is latency (for lack of better words, lag time between your local app and the Classic). A possible better solution is to use remote desktop or another remote access method to run a PC on the LAN and connect to that instead. Whilel you might see screen refresh lag, the app will be running optimally.

If you want to do this often, put a thin client in the LAN to run the app. They use only a few watts of power to run.

boB

Quote from: Wxboy on April 03, 2012, 12:45:00 PM
Can the local app. be viewed over the internet if I open up the Classic's IP address in the DMZ setting on the router and if the local app. software was loaded on the viewing computer?  I'm sure there are risks associated with this but I'm mostly interested in if it can be done and also if others are doing it.  As a side note I am using a static IP.

Yes, this will work but what we suggest is to set up your router to port forward  port 502  to the Classic's local IP address.
I would also set the Classic to STATIC IP address  (DHCP off) so it does not change.  Whatever IP address was given to
the Classic in DHCP mode by your router, just set the Classic to STATIC, press ENTER so it remembers that and then
use that address to port forward to from the router.  Routers are different from each other so you will want
to look at the manual.  It can be tough to do some times so if you need, post here so we can help you and
other online maybe.

Thanks,
boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Wxboy

I had my wife make router changes while I tried to access the Classic from work but no luck.  Oh well, I'll be out of a job soon anyway so I won't have a need for remote access.  Maybe by the time I find a new job My MidNite will be up and running. 
Midnite Classic 150, 765 watt array, Outback Radian GS4048A inverter, 200ah 48v agm battery bank

Tinman

Some routers need a re-boot before changes like port forwarding are accepted. I always go back and check after any changes to the router to make sure they took because many routers have a default timeout that is short. You think you entered a change but it never registered. One method is to check the change took place, re-boot then go through the turn off, wait, turn back on procedure.