Which battery is best for solar?

Started by CharliVN, December 27, 2015, 09:00:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharliVN

I split this off as I think you will get a lot more help if it is in its own thread

Newby question:

I start out with 24 lg265 panels with microinverter of each, turn out not working very well.

Last month I start setup my system with intend use at off-grit use, I have 3 of 24 panels feed classic 200, connect to (4) slr175 vmax batteries, with ms4024pae inverter.

Now I need to increase my battery bank should I buy (4) more slr175 or should I go with Aquion sl30, the price very much the same, the second question should I change my system to 48 volt from 24 volt?

Cniemand

I find LFP batteries to be the least complicated of them all. No watering. No gassing. No equalization. No extended Absorb times. A simple Endamp of 0.05C. Doesn't self discharge. Can be complete shut down and left for long periods of time (vacation) unattended. Doesn't care if it is fully charged everyday nor care if left 50%SOC for long periods. If you "bottom balance" the cells then you can forgo the costly BMS components, that frankly I feel are going to fail anyway over time and destroy your pack. Very straight forward to program the Midnite CC for. 

:0)

Cloud
OFF-GRID @ 8500FT : 2000w Array : 8 - CS6P-250P ; VFX 3648 ; WBjr ; MN CL200 #6738 ; FW #2079  
48v LiFePo4 : 16 - CALB CA 100 aH in Series - 5 kWh ; No Active BMS - Bottom Balanced
Charging Parameters : Bulk - 55v, Absorb - 5 EndAmps @ 55v, Float - 54v or 3.375v per Cell : ZERO EQUALIZE

zoneblue

Of course the title of the thread is all %@* backwards. All batterys suck. Thats the definition of a battery, it sucks dollars, lots of them, and regularly. However Cin makes a succinct and i think apt case for LFP. When i last analysed the per kWh delivered cost of LFP it looked pretty favorable, that is, if they live up to their reported cycle and calendar life.  As for the aquions, they are starting to get out in the field, but most users seem to be keeping pretty quiet about them. Durability data, again pending. Whatever the battery, freight/availability will often be a significant deciding factor.

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Cniemand

I'm curious about the Aquions. However, you can find Lithiums from wrecked EVs on Ebay for cheap. There was a chevy volt 16kWh pack on there for $2000 USD. You would have to DIY take the pack apart and set it up in 12,24,48v chunks and use the Midnite solar for specific voltages depending upon the chemistries use. Could be a cheap and viable option that certainly brings it to Lead Prices.

cloud
OFF-GRID @ 8500FT : 2000w Array : 8 - CS6P-250P ; VFX 3648 ; WBjr ; MN CL200 #6738 ; FW #2079  
48v LiFePo4 : 16 - CALB CA 100 aH in Series - 5 kWh ; No Active BMS - Bottom Balanced
Charging Parameters : Bulk - 55v, Absorb - 5 EndAmps @ 55v, Float - 54v or 3.375v per Cell : ZERO EQUALIZE