What is Hyper VOC???

Started by Halfcrazy, July 04, 2011, 07:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

MidNite's Classic series of MPPT Charge Controllers features HyperVOC, a non-operative VOC safety zone over and above the maximum input voltage.
Read about it here.
http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/whyHyperVOC.pdf
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Westbranch

good explanation... 
made me go look up the manual for my old Blue Sky 2000e.  :o
They used  30V max for 12 V system, phew.  :) no smoke...

ej
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

keyturbocars

I agree with Eric.  Great explanation of the HyperVOC feature.

Edward

Robin

We used to spend an enormous amount of time at OutBack explaining why you can't put X amount of panels in series. Now we spend an enormous amount of time explaining why you can!
The write up does help though.
Robin Gudgel

windpro

Does Hyper VOC apply to the Classic when used for Wind/Hydro?  In other words does the Classic allow the ability to exceed the maximum (150, 200 or 250v depending on model of Classic)for brief periods of time or will the results exceeding the max Classic voltage just be clipped with a Clipper?

boB

Quote from: windpro on October 01, 2012, 03:48:30 PM
Does Hyper VOC apply to the Classic when used for Wind/Hydro?  In other words does the Classic allow the ability to exceed the maximum (150, 200 or 250v depending on model of Classic)for brief periods of time or will the results exceeding the max Classic voltage just be clipped with a Clipper?

Yes, Hypervoc applies to Solar, Wind or Hydro.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

Quote from: Halfcrazy on July 04, 2011, 07:47:30 AM

The OP seems to be empty ? 
(new Classic 200 owner going through the forums)
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

TomW

Quote from: mike90045 on March 09, 2014, 11:58:03 AM
Quote from: Halfcrazy on July 04, 2011, 07:47:30 AM

The OP seems to be empty ? 
(new Classic 200 owner going through the forums)

Mike;

I poked Ryan on this.

Basically. HyperVOC allows the Classic to operate at a higher voltage than the rating in deep cold weather. Like rating plus battery volts.

Ryan will explain better.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

vtmaps

Quote from: TomW on March 09, 2014, 12:48:35 PM
Basically. HyperVOC allows the Classic to operate at a higher voltage than the rating in deep cold weather. Like rating plus battery volts.

The Classic will not operate while in hyperVoc.  On the other hand it will not be harmed by the hyperVoc overvoltage.

HyperVoc will occur early in the morning when there is not much power to harvest anyway.  When the sun hit the panels they will warm up and the voltage will drop back into operating range.

--vtMaps

TomW

Quote from: vtmaps on March 09, 2014, 01:28:00 PM
Quote from: TomW on March 09, 2014, 12:48:35 PM

The Classic will not operate while in hyperVoc.  On the other hand it will not be harmed by the hyperVoc overvoltage.

HyperVoc will occur early in the morning when there is not much power to harvest anyway.  When the sun hit the panels they will warm up and the voltage will drop back into operating range.

--vtMaps

vt;

Yes, good catch.  Poor word selection there. Should have said "tolerate".

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies