Error #2002

Started by plongson, December 13, 2012, 04:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plongson

Well, here we go again.

As soon as I got back in town I tried running the app. Guess what, "Device Not AVAILABLE". GRRRRR!

I tested it on two laptops before I left, one connected to the local network and he other connected to the 3g stick. I swapped back and forth etc and all was fine.

Here, I used this local laptop AND tested the same laptop/3g stick that worked just a few hours before and it too says "Device Not AVAILABLE"...WTF is going on? I sure wish I had someone there who could check and make changes while I'm here...

If that IP has changed again i'm really stumped.

Oh well, I'll just keep plugging along.

Paul
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

plongson;

Have you broken a mirror or had a black cat cross your path lately? Maybe walked under a ladder?

Too bad you can only be in one place at a time. It makes sorting it out kind of tough.

I can't offer anything but sympathy. That is darned weird.

Personally, I would set up a Linux laptop on site and forward another port to it so you could log in to it and see what is happening on the local network. Maybe even export the desktop to a remote computer to run the app on the local network? Beyond that, without someone on site to check things, I have no idea how to help sort out what is going on.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

plongson

Maybe if set up a LOGMEON type of thing and left the laptop running I could be in both places. I still wouldn't know if the Classic had a new IP though.
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Quote from: plongson on January 07, 2013, 10:42:10 AM
I still wouldn't know it the Classic had had a new IP though.

plongson;

Well, if you can get on the local network you can ping the classic IP and see if it is live. If you can get a browser to look at active clients page of the router it shows what is on the network with what address. Every network device has a unique "MAC address" the router shows that info for active clients so you can be sure the Classic has the right IP if the address is active. At least mine does.

My Classic is named C150-1 as this copy / paste shows from my router:

Name       IP Address         MAC Address              Active Connections
pi2 192.168.2.125 B8:27:EB:96:E9:22 0

C150-1  192.168.2.129 06:1F:D0:00:08:8F 2

There is the possibility the ISP is blocking certain protocols or ports but then it seems you would not have gotten it to work by going out then back in when you were there.

May need one of the big brains to help sort this one out, I am just shooting at shadows. ;D

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dgd

Quote from: plongson on January 07, 2013, 10:25:14 AM
Well, here we go again.

As soon as I got back in town I tried running the app. Guess what, "Device Not AVAILABLE". GRRRRR!

I tested it on two laptops before I left, one connected to the local network and he other connected to the 3g stick. I swapped back and forth etc and all was fine.

Here, I used this local laptop AND tested the same laptop/3g stick that worked just a few hours before and it too says "Device Not AVAILABLE"...WTF is going on? I sure wish I had someone there who could check and make changes while I'm here...

If that IP has changed again i'm really stumped.

Oh well, I'll just keep plugging along.

Paul

Cripes! you really need tha bottle now. Ideas..
It would be interesting to hear from the local app developer what the exact meaning of "Device not available" is.
Is it:

No response from IP number, or

No device (Classic) for the IP number the local app is looking at, or

The local app has found the required device (ie Classic) but that the Classic is not responding as it should.

I suspect it covers all cases

Which makes me think your local app where you are, now may not even be seeing the network where the Classic is connected.

So at the town location what is the local network number on the router? ie class C network, is it also 192.168.11.0 with router at .1 ?
What IP number have you told the local app to find the remote Classic at?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

dgd

Paul,

just some more suggestions..

So at the remote locatiion all was good?  you used laptop with 3G stick that went via one ISP and connected back to  your local network (and Classic) via another ISP.
Unless the Classic has a bug that changes its IP number  all should be stable at remote end.  ;D

It may be worth contacting the help desk of the ISP (town end) and asking if they have active port filtering that could be excluding port 502 (Modbus Protocol). You will probably get a geek who cannot provide an answer so email may be the way. Depending on their security policy you may need to request a port be made available and they may decide the port number.

dgd

Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

plongson

The router is 192.168.11.1 and the classic is 192.168.11.29  The router port forward is setup CLASSIC, 192.168.11.29 and port 502

I access the Classic remotely via DYNDNS at barkingdoglodge.dyndns-server.com with the app set and configured there, port 502

If there was an issue with the local ISP blocking 502, the 3g stick shouldn't work would it??

I just contacted the local ISP there and they do not block 502, only IRC and some mail sets.  Does this make sense?

I'll bet that frigg'n IP # flipped again...
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

boB

Quote from: plongson on January 07, 2013, 03:31:48 PM
The router is 192.168.11.1 and the classic is 192.168.11.29  The router port forward is setup CLASSIC, 192.168.11.29 and port 502

I access the Classic remotely via DYNDNS at barkingdoglodge.dyndns-server.com with the app set and configured there, port 502

If there was an issue with the local ISP blocking 502, the 3g stick shouldn't work would it??

I just contacted the local ISP there and they do not block 502, only IRC and some mail sets.  Does this make sense?

OK, you're positive that the Classic is set to static and you viewed that on the MNGP NET menu ?

We've never seen it go off of STATIC before is why I have to ask.  I have seen it change to
one less IP address when in DHCP of course.

I think you did things right but I have to ask.    If you have  set up remote administration of your
router, you could see if it was on another IP address and if it was, you could change it to
whatever it went to.  I would tend to assume that if it did change IP addresses again, it
would go down to .28  but changing IP addresses in static mode is unheard of as yet.

To my knowledge, you would be the first one.  Still, asking the net guru what he thinks.
Haven't heard back an opinion yet.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

plongson

OK, you're positive that the Classic is set to static and you viewed that on the MNGP NET menu? Absolutely, next time I'll take a picture to prove I'm not crazy...LOL

The router isn't set on remote, I wish it was and I wish I knew how to do it.

There might be a chance I'll be back up there one day this week for some business and if so, you can bet I'll be on this one like a chicken on a June bug. I'll get my wife to man a computer here and I'll be there...Probably Wednesday though.
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

dgd

Quote from: TomW on January 07, 2013, 12:18:06 PM
Quote from: plongson on January 07, 2013, 10:42:10 AM
I still wouldn't know it the Classic had had a new IP though.

plongson;

Well, if you can get on the local network you can ping the classic IP and see if it is live. If you can get a browser to look at active clients page of the router it shows what is on the network with what address. Every network device has a unique "MAC address" the router shows that info for active clients so you can be sure the Classic has the right IP if the address is active.
Tom

Or if you get plongson's live IP number for his router then you could tracert -p502 and see what replies after his router  8)

dgd

Westbranch

Paul & dgd, would this be a good use for a PVN, private virtual network,installation?
or is there something better now, used it 8 - 10 years ago for remote access to another cpu...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

dgd

Quote from: plongson on January 07, 2013, 03:31:48 PM

Paul,

Have you brought the laptop with 3G stick with you?
Does it still connect to the Classic  when running local app?
If not can the laptop ping the router where the Classic is located?, you will need to ping the 'live IP number as allocated by the ISP

dgd

plongson

dgd,
I'm pushing my business up there a day early because the weather is suppose to get $hitty. I'll have a chance this morning to mess with it for an hour or so (once I get there) before I head out for the meeting.

I'll take the LT with the 3g stick and the other LT is onsite. In a nutshell, how do I ping the router from the 3g LT? I was also going to have my wife run the app from this LT taken to her work this morning.

I'm becoming obsessed with finding out WTF is going on wit this thing..LOL

THANKS!!!! for the help!

Paul
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W

TomW

Paul;

From inside the Local Network this link will tell you what the routers IP is on the side  to the world:

http://www.whatismyip.com/

It might help see if the dyndns or whatever is working right?

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

plongson

Well, I'm here and made a quick test before I head out for the meeting and the LT with the 3g stick connected to the Classic here.

The IP's did not change and both the router and the Classic had the same .29 number. I used "WhatsmyIP" and got 208.66.36.38 for the LT on the local router. I put that number into the 3g LT Google Chrome Browser and it came up "Oops Google could not connect"

I'm pretty much lost here, what should I try next. I also allowed anonymous ping requests with no joy.

I'll be back in an hour or so and mess with it some more.

Paul
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W