MNSPD300 LED's at night

Started by robbertwilliams, February 24, 2017, 12:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbertwilliams

Since the original install earlier last year, I don't recall ever having the MNSPD300 LED's on at night (this one is installed at the array on the combiner box).  But since switching the panels to a series/parallel connection (were just 4 individual parallel panels), I'm seeing the LED's at night. 

Also, while I've been running in Legacy P&O mode due to the snow (and it just seems to work all the time), I came home tonight (not the first time this has happened), and while it was "pitch black outside with snow on the panels", the input read 25v (all too similar to my battery voltage which was 25.3) and the CC was in "Bulk" with zero watts. 

So, I switched the mode to regular Solar (MPPT) instead of Legacy and my input volts go to 7v, LED is still on at the combiner box, but the CC finally goes to resting.

Any ideas? 
4 Hyundai His250mg, 8 Deka 8l16 for 740@24v, Schneider Elec. SW2524 + Combox, Midnite Classic 150 w/WBjr

DPW ToP Mount, MNPV3 Combiner with MC4 input, MNDC250 DC Box

Off Grid in Black Hills, South Dakota

Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

boB

Yes, seeing some input voltage at night would be normal.

It is usually coming from the battery side and will be less voltage than the battery by approximately 1/2 battery voltage.

This is due to a resistor across the internal relay.  There isn't any current available to speak of except
that small amount (~1 milliamp) to run the SPD LED you are seeing.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

Quote from: robbertwilliams on February 24, 2017, 12:27:06 AM
Also, while I've been running in Legacy P&O mode due to the snow (and it just seems to work all the time), I came home tonight (not the first time this has happened), and while it was "pitch black outside with snow on the panels", the input read 25v (all too similar to my battery voltage which was 25.3) and the CC was in "Bulk" with zero watts. .......

I've had a couple times, even running Legacy, that something gets hung up with clouds/sun/clouds and the batteries backfeed the controller a small (but not mA) amount.  I kill it by using the LA and shutting solar off, and then back on and it goes to rest.

But the light on the SPD is going to be on all the time.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV