Equalization Question

Started by andyrud, October 27, 2014, 05:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyrud

Hi Guys,
I have one of the first Classic 150s.  My array is 24v and my batteries are 6 Trojan 2v that total 12 volts.  I can't figure out how to start an Equalization on my batteries.  Could someone tell me how to go about this?
Thanks in advance,
Andy R

Vic

Hi Andy - Welcome to the Forum,

I had a very early Classic 150,  as well,  and forget how the EQ was done back in 2010/11.

But,  try going to the Charge menu,  and find the Voltage page,  there should be an EQ voltage area there,  where you set the desired voltage,  press 'Enter' when this is set.

In the Time menu,  still in the charge menu,  there should be a time setting --  set that and 'Enter'.

There is an EQ page in the Charge menu,  select that,  and you should be able to 'start' the EQ.

This is covered in the present version of the manual -- select the Classic manual on this page:
http://www.midnitesolar.com/doc_prod_list.php?menuItem=products&productCat_ID=21&productCatName=Charge Controllers - Classics

You will want to Update the Classic Firmware soon,  as there have been many,  many improvements in many areas.

More later,  Good Luck,    Vic

Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

andyrud

Thanks for the reply Vic.  The Classic is 6 miles up in the mountains, off grid and off internet. Is there a way to download the upgrade to a laptop and than connect to the classic and install the new firmware?

Andy R

Vic

Hi Andy,

YES,  it is  fairly easy to load the Classic FW onto a Laptop,   and use USB ports to UD the FW.

At the bottom of this linked-page is the list of instructions for different Platforms/Operating systems:

http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareReport.php?firmware_ID=9&firmwareProduct_ID=1&act=edit

It is probably a good idea to also download the latest Classic Manual onto the same computer,  so you will have some directions,   if needed.   Good Luck,   Vic

Good Luck,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

zoneblue

For OLD firmwares be 100% sure to do the reset to factory step, after you install the firmware.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Westbranch

Also, this is not a high speed process, be prepared to wait till the computer and classic have connected, it can take several, if not more, minutes...please don't ask, my head still hurts...my classics are a 3 hr drive one way and at the update time, no internet...

see this thread  http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1831.0
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

mike90045

re firmware update.      Win XP is much more reliable than win8 for this process.. use an older laptop.  It takes a while to get the USB connection talking, and some classics shipped with dud cables, so if you can find a spare cable to bring as a backup, it won't hurt.   And there are 2 updates, one for the graphics panel, one for the classic itself.  Print all the directions.  And bring a young goat or lamb, dry wood, and a sharp knife :)  or even a chicken.

And it never hurts to know how to do the Vulcan Mind Meld (factory reset) :
disconnect from both PV and battery power, holding the < and > arrow down simultaneously and powering back up.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

toothy

I had the cable problem, so another quality short cable would be a good idea.

I had a problem with getting COM8 to work, I don't know what I did to get it to talk but that is also something to think about. Others can tell you if that is still an issue or not.

Wade
2-Outback vfx3648's, 16 CALB CA400,   solar Classics 2/200's with 5.6kw of panels, WBjr's, Classic 200 with Kestrel 1kw turbine, Northern lights 10 kw back-up,

Vic

Yes,  the only issue that I had was getting Com 8 set.

For me,  the remedy was to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS  EXACTLY.

FWIW,    Vic