150 Controller stuck at 16 volts

Started by andyrud, January 17, 2017, 01:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyrud

Quote from: Westbranch on January 17, 2017, 11:53:13 PM
As others have said there will be a lot of new features in the updates if you have never done one before !.

Right! on that note do you have a WhizBangjr (WBjr)?  if not, it is a very valuable addition to the Classic as it lets you have a much better view of how your solar project is performing...and to be more exact it tells you how much of your PV production (amps ) actually goes into the batteries, not just what the Classic sends towards the battery.  Most recommended...

So before you head out into the sticks, can you get one for installation?...

hth

Sure can, I will order it first thing tomorrow morning, and thanks for suggesting it.  I never heard of it before now and I am looking forward to looking it up tonight.  Update, I ordered one tonight.  I already have the shunt installed for the Bogart Engineering unit.  The directions for the WBjr say I can use this shunt for hookup.

Andy

andyrud

Quote from: Resthome on January 18, 2017, 12:54:48 AM
You will need a USB cable that came with the Classic.

Also download the latest Instructions for Win 10 from the MN web site. Both the Win7 and win10 Instructions have recently been update as MN is only providing the new Programmer package for the firmware.

Will do John, and thanks.
Andy

andyrud

Quote from: Vic on January 17, 2017, 09:28:48 PM
Hi Andy,

IMO,  it would be very good to have Internet access available at the place that you are doing an Update of the Classic Firmware.   Having access to this Forum can be a valuable  asset if you need help.

The first Classic in use here,   was from the first Production run (and available for purchase by the general public)  was ordered just before Christmas 2011,   and was shipped,  Jan 2012,   FWIW.

The later versions of Firmware have many added useful functions,  so an Update should be a benefit to you.

IMO,   Vic

Your right Vic, mine is only about 5 years old.  My memory is starting to go.  Internet access is not possible where the Classic is installed so I will print out all the info before I start the update and hope for the best.

Thanks Vic,
Andy

niel

if your batteries went to 38 and even at 45 degrees, this is far enough to push it up to 16v i think. at 45 degrees i calculate a jump of .96v. the batteries themselves may not have reached that 45 degree ambient air temp.

i would ask ryan or one of the others about your classic version before attempting a download as i believe they changed it a bit from the first ones out depending on how early your classic really is. they can verify if it's ok, but imo why risk it in any case if it's not broken? i've never updated mine and it's fine.

Westbranch

Niel, IIRC he has to do an update if he adds the WBjr, it was not supported by the early FW versions ....  plus there are other refinements (*Fixes) , lots of them, in each new version...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: niel on January 18, 2017, 08:32:16 PM

i would ask ryan or one of the others about your classic version before attempting a download as i believe they changed it a bit from the first ones out depending on how early your classic really is. they can verify if it's ok, but imo why risk it in any case if it's not broken? i've never updated mine and it's fine.

I have never heard of any Classic models even from the first ones that could not be firmware updated. It is a wise thing to do because there have been a lot of improvements and bugs fixed.

I am thinking I got my Classic close to when they first came out - will have to look up the receipt sometime. I have always updated the firmware.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

niel

ok, i concede on the updates. i thought i remembered one of the guys at midnite saying the first ones had circuitry updated that affected the software.

do confirm the bts being the voltage rise, even though i'm near certain that was what you were seeing. never assume.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: niel on January 19, 2017, 03:25:22 AM
ok, i concede on the updates. i thought i remembered one of the guys at midnite saying the first ones had circuitry updated that affected the software.

do confirm the bts being the voltage rise, even though i'm near certain that was what you were seeing. never assume.

Neil - It would be a good thing to confirm with Midnite that there are no first generation Classics that are not compatible with firmware updates.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ClassicCrazy

I was just looking at Grahams Classic Android app and on the Info page it says
Model : Classic 150 ( rev 4)
I have a newer Classic that also says the same thing

Check out Grahams Classic Android App if you haven't before - such a great display.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Halfcrazy

Um if it is 10 years old it would not be a production classic, Look on the right hand side and see if there is a barcode sticker with a number on it. If so report back that number before you do an update. I am pretty sure we have been selling Classics for about 7 years if my memory serves
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

andyrud

Quote from: Halfcrazy on January 20, 2017, 05:45:47 AM
Um if it is 10 years old it would not be a production classic, Look on the right hand side and see if there is a barcode sticker with a number on it. If so report back that number before you do an update. I am pretty sure we have been selling Classics for about 7 years if my memory serves

The barcode sticker says CL00314.  I misspoke, it was less than 10 years ago,  but I think it was one of the first ones out.  Can you tell by the barcode number if it is alright to update the firmware on my unit without any problems?  I can't seem to get a definitive answer to that question. Update!!  Found my receipt and it says I bought my Classic 150 on 3/23/2011.

Thanks for responding,
Andy R

CDN-VT

READ your versions of software in the Classic & the MNGP ..
Get all the numbers & all of YOUR SETTINGS  of where you have them set .

Make sure you have all recorded , IF NEEDED !!
VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

andyrud

Hi Guys, I just heard from Midnite Solar and they said that if the Classic has a serial# then it will accept a firmware update.  So, I will be updating my Classic 150 and adding the Wizbang to it. 

Andy R

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: andyrud on January 25, 2017, 12:50:01 PM
Hi Guys, I just heard from Midnite Solar and they said that if the Classic has a serial# then it will accept a firmware update.  So, I will be updating my Classic 150 and adding the Wizbang to it. 

Andy R
If you can get the Local Status App working with it first - you can use the app  to save all your settings , and then use it again after firmware update to restore your previous settings.
It is on the Local Status app Config first screen settings - you will see Export Registers under place you put in serial number. Then use Import Registers to restore them.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

andyrud

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on January 25, 2017, 02:38:33 PM
Quote from: andyrud on January 25, 2017, 12:50:01 PM

Andy R
If you can get the Local Status App working with it first - you can use the app  to save all your settings , and then use it again after firmware update to restore your previous settings.
It is on the Local Status app Config first screen settings - you will see Export Registers under place you put in serial number. Then use Import Registers to restore them.
Larry
Thanks Larry.  What settings are you referring too?  Once I update the firmware does the Classic 150 think it is a first time install?  Are all the settings reset to no settings?