EMP Options

Started by schroew, February 28, 2023, 08:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schroew

The electrical company I work with presented me with an interesting (think $$$) option. They have a charge controller/inverter that is EMP proof. I am thinking that the point is probably moot if I go to LiFePo batteries as I don't think broadband ferrites on the battery cables is going to add any protection for the internal charge circuits.The AGMs I have currently are already EMP proof. I have SPDs on all of the solar panel combiners and ferrites on all wires coming in from the outside. Will that protect the Classics? The inverter is pretty much out there on its own. I don't know if a SPD300v will help that or even how to wire it in.
Can I prevent an EMP from taking out my system or am I chasing a dream?

boB

I am guessing that you are talking about the Sol-Ark inverter ?   
I guess we will just have to wait and see if they're protection really works ! :)

I don't think an SPD will help a large EMP but it might help mitigate a large solar flare like the Carrington even in the 1850s.   AND lightning, too,  of course !

I doubt a ferrite will help against an EMP but it can't hurt.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

Yep, its the Sol-Ark. I like the classics and I worry about having an all in one failure. Now of I lose a classic I can still charge. The inverter is a SPF but Magnum makes stackable units. All redundancy is out the window in an EMP with out protection of some sort. Looks like I am stuck with AGM batteries or wall papering the room with stainless steel EMP cloth.. I actually have a couple of spare classics in faraday a cage.

boB

Great !  Then you are prepared.

A Faraday cage is good of course. 

Remember though that EMPs and high voltage lightning electric fields will also enter on any wires going outside and acting like an antenna.  This is why you use SPDs on the + and -  PV lines to GND.

If you look online, you may be able to find papers of examples of EMP hardening some buildings.
As I remember, a lot of that is also using ferrites right at the entry way to the Faraday building

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

schroew

Its the same concept as RF riding the skin of the coax back into my shack and why I put ferrites on it to stop that..