DC Breakers with Inverter / Charger combo devices.

Started by kibi, February 20, 2013, 05:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kibi

I just need some clarification with regard to wiring my Victron MuliPlus Inverter / Charger via an MNEDC250 breaker.
I have it in my head that the + of the breaker goes to the battery + and the - goes to the inverter's + terminal. This is correct as the current flows from the battery to the inverter.
What happens if the inverter is in charge mode and charging the battery? The current is now flowing in the opposite direction (from the inverter / charger to the battery). Will the breaker still operate correctly?
I'm guessing it will because if there was a failure with the inverter / charger it'd most likely short it's terminals and then the high fault current would flow in the correct direction through the breaker again.
It seems obvious, but I just want to be sure that's all.

Many thanks.

kibi

Thanks very much for the confirmation. One les thing to worry about, I have many. :)

Robin

The panel mount breakers we have are all non-polarized. This confused me for yuears too since the current flow flips directions depending on mode of operation. The breakers are marked line and load, but that is for AC stuff only. Carling Technologies says these MNEDC breakers are non-polarized on DC circuits.
Robin Gudgel

kibi

Thanks for that information Robin. I thought i was starting to lose my mind a bit on that one. I'm going to wire my 250A inverter breaker with the battery+ coming in on the bottom terminal.

vtmaps

Quote from: Robin on March 12, 2013, 09:30:02 PM
The panel mount breakers we have are all non-polarized. This confused me for years too since the current flow flips directions depending on mode of operation. The breakers are marked line and load, but that is for AC stuff only. Carling Technologies says these MNEDC breakers are non-polarized on DC circuits.

I'm glad that you're not confused any longer, but now I am confused.  If the polarity markings are not for DC, that means they are for AC ?!?!?  How is it that AC is polarized?  What would happen if I were to use those breakers for AC and reverse the line and load?

--vtMaps

Westbranch

Yes, is there such a thing as an Alternating Arc that needs suppression?  :(
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

But,  in reading Robin's post above,  he mentions that these breakers are marked Line and Load,  NOT with polarity,  and such markings apply only to AC circuits and NOT DC.   Seems clear to me.

Have some Airpax DC breakers that lack any marking as to polarity or line/load,  FWIW.   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!