Breaker broke

Started by dapdan, July 15, 2013, 12:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Hi All,

I am not sure if I am the only one...but has this ever happened to any of you guys? (check pictures). I was setting up a mini disconnect with a magnum today and I was torquing the nut on the breaker and I was holding the body pretty firmly and it just broke.

To Midnite,

Is it safe to try and repair this suck with a clamp around it to keep the innards in place? or is that a recipe for disaster?

Cheers...
Damani

TomW

Damani;

I did that to a similar breaker and I just decided to replace it after I  tried to repair it. Glue and tape seemed OK but did not hold it together very well. I figured a metal clamp would work loose and eventually cause a short.

I was surprised mine broke as I had not put much torque on the nut and only used a nut driver not a wrench.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dapdan

Tom,

I was considering a metal clamp as it can be tighten well. It does has potentially explosive results so I was thinking maybe a plastic zip tie. I would not try glue probally a two part epoxy or similar. The small one can be fragile since they tend to flex in your hand when applying torque. I have found the 250A to be really strudy with large studs but the 125A with the smaller studs is a real wimp.

Cheers...
Damani