RV Solar - Classic Settings Question(s)

Started by Smitty77, November 29, 2013, 08:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smitty77

Besides the Newbie tag, they should have a check box for Rookie too, as I fit both:)!

Background:
>RV installation
>1200W 48V of Solar Panel
>Classic 150 - I see reading of up to 46ah during peak sunlight
>Lifeline AGM L16's,  X4 for 800AH
>Classic set to custom setting, due to Lifeline having different Voltage settings then other AGM
>Magnum MS2812 Charger/Inverter

Questions:
1) If I have a 100% SOC from being plugged in for a week, will the Classic detect the battery bank is charged and override the Minimum time settings for the Bulk/Absorb? (Concerned that with Min set to 120, that both Bulk and Absorb will charge the battery bank for those minimum time settings? Cooking the AGM's would not be good:)!)
2) If the Classic detects that the bank is fully charged, what will be displayed on the panel? It seems to say Bulk and then Absorb and then Float, making me feel that it is indeed charging? The AH displayed is different, during different times of this duration. Not sure if this is from the variations in Solar Panel output, or possibly from battery temp sensor adjustments? (And I also admit that though I've read the manual a few times, I'm not clear on what the display is presenting.)

I did not do the install, and just had some adjustments to wiring of the install in relation to the Magnum's BMK-Meter. (Moving the negative feed of the Classic 150 controller to the inverter side of the shunt.) Now that I have the coach back, I'm going to take sometime to walk thru the settings established by the installer.

TIA for any input on, and my apology if I did not explain my concern well enough for you to help me.
Smitty

1) I have

Westbranch

Quote from: Smitty77 on November 29, 2013, 08:09:11 PM
I did not do the install, and just had some adjustments to wiring of the install in relation to the Magnum's BMK-Meter. (Moving the negative feed of the Classic 150 controller to the inverter side of the shunt.)
Can you draw a little diagram of this?  I do not understand what you have done... particularly the part in brackets.

1) I have
What?

If you are seeing 45 amps you are doing well for 2000w/48v = 41.6A

I will let someone who really has their system up and running answer your main questions, mine is in maintenance mode till next spring thaws things out.
ps where are you? is it hot or cold right now?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

zoneblue

Like Wb im not entirely sure what youre asking :)

Background:
>RV installation
>1200W 48V of Solar Panel

Must be a good sized RV, to fit 1200Wp solar on the roof. 

>Classic 150 - I see reading of up to 46ah during peak sunlight

Ah? Amps? Some versions of the firmware have a bug in the Ah reading. The Wh readings are reliable though.

>Lifeline AGM L16's,  X4 for 800AH

Would those be these? 6v 400Ah at C20.
http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/rvflyer.php?id=16

>Classic set to custom setting, due to Lifeline having different Voltage settings then other AGM

What voltage settings are you using?

>Magnum MS2812 Charger/Inverter
Questions:
1) If I have a 100% SOC from being plugged in for a week, will the Classic detect the battery bank is charged and override the Minimum time settings for the Bulk/Absorb? (Concerned that with Min set to 120, that both Bulk and Absorb will charge the battery bank for those minimum time settings? Cooking the AGM's would not be good:)!)

You understand the general progression through bulk, abosrb and float right? Bulk just charges as fast as it can. Absorb holds the voltage at the absorb set point until one of ttwo things occurs, the absorb time is reached, or the ending amps is reached, whichever comes first.

If you see something called min absorb time on yours, then its time for you to upgrade the firmware, as that was removed mid last year, and is no longer recomended.

2) If the Classic detects that the bank is fully charged, what will be displayed on the panel? It seems to say Bulk and then Absorb and then Float, making me feel that it is indeed charging? The AH displayed is different, during different times of this duration. Not sure if this is from the variations in Solar Panel output, or possibly from battery temp sensor adjustments? (And I also admit that though I've read the manual a few times, I'm not clear on what the display is presenting.)

Once in float, the controller considers your bank charged, and the voltage will drop to float setpoint. It will continue to provide small amoutns of current to maintain that state, and to provide all the power it can to your loads.

I did not do the install, and just had some adjustments to wiring of the install in relation to the Magnum's BMK-Meter. (Moving the negative feed of the Classic 150 controller to the inverter side of the shunt.)

If by shunt you mean 500A deltec, then the only thing on the battery side of the shunt, shold be the battery neg. All else on the other side.

Good on you for trying to get to grips with your system. Youve got such fun ahead. Also check out the NAWs forum.

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Smitty77

I'll get more accurate info and answer the questions a bit clearer at that time.

But for now:
-it goes from 43-46amps in good sunshine
-X5 Panasonic 240w panels, on a 40' coach
-will chichi the voltage settings, but it wS printed off of the Lifeline spec sheet for my batteries. X4 L16's 6v.
-did not see min displayed. But read it in the
-will check to see if updates are needed

Yep, I've lots to learn!

Will be out of town until Monday, will poke around more then. I will read other threads too, as that will help too.
Thanks,
Smitty

Halfcrazy

4 L16s would be a 24v system and that would make the amperage about right. Although if it is a 24v system you have around 400AH of batteries

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

vtmaps

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 30, 2013, 06:44:32 AM
4 L16s would be a 24v system and that would make the amperage about right. Although if it is a 24v system you have around 400AH of batteries

Smitty77 has a "Magnum MS2812 Charger/Inverter".    --vtMaps

Halfcrazy

Shoot did not even see that  :o So it is a 12v system and there s around 800AH of battery. Now with 1200 watts of PV you could see upwards of the 96 amps the Classic is good for. Depending on panel orientation and Classic settings.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

zoneblue

Flat panel derating, AGM will handle the currents, etc, the system seems to hang together well enough. Reconfiguring for 24V would be an improvement but not if it means replacing the inverter. The main thing with this system is to make darn sure that all the wiring is a decent size. 4 gauge for the controller output, 2/0 for the battery cables.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Smitty77

A much delayed response to those that posted. I got a bit side tracked with a health issue in the family, and am now just getting back into what we'll call our 'new normal':)! A prompt on IRV2 from another Classic owner, Ted, reminded me how delinquent I am on my learning curve gains related to Solar. So back I come!

I re-read my posts, all via droid while wife was driving - and it shows this!

I worked with the installer, and he sorted out a few negative connections that were not connected properly, which confused what the shunt was feeding the Magnum BMK-Meter. I now feel comfortable about how the Meter is reporting usage and charging.

And yes, proper sized cables, a good job on the install all things considered - lots going on, with the new Magnum components, SP's and Classic in the mix.

The installer programmed the Classic for me, based upon Lifeline's AGM spec's. (He has an involved boss too, that also reviewed the setup and programing.)

I mentioned in my first post, that I'm a rookie. I've decided to spend sometime learning more about this portion of our coach, and will start by walking thru the settings on the Classic to see what's up. Learn how to sync it with the laptop; add the new droid APP; and read up on what a WizBang does, and if it is appropriate as an add on to our system.

This post mostly just say to Hi again, thanks, and jumping back in. I'll post other questions where appropriate, and if I can help others I'll try to do so.
Best to all,
Smitty

chris

Hi Smitty,

So I assume you must have a 12 volt system since it's in an RV or do you have some form of voltage adapter rigged up?
System 1
12 volt system,
280 AH DIY LifePO4 with 200amp JBD BMS
4x200 Watt 36volt panels 4P
MidNite Kid, WBjr
2000 watt Kisae SW inverter

System 2
Off Grid RV (parked and used as a cabin)
12 volt system,
4 X T-105+
6X100 watt array wired as 3 strings
MidNite Kid, WBjr & MNBTS
1500 watt Cotek SW

Smitty77

Hi Chris - Yes, it's a 12V system.

We have X4 Lifeline L16's for 800AH. We're shifting to more extended trips of 3 - 4 months, from 2-3 week vacation trips. On these shorter trips, we average 135-150AH range per day. I planned the upgraded battery bank, and SP's to support 200AH per day. (I'm a HiFi junky (Got Tubes), and we're adding other items too, so I wanted to have plenty of extra capacity. At the same time we're adding power usage, we're also converting over to LED lighting and LCD TV's.) We changed over to PSW Magnum 2800 converter and the related components. This is in a 40' Country Coach, and has the Onan QD8000 generator.

I wanted to avoid needing to climb up on the roof for SP tilting, so went with 1200W (X's 5 Panasonic 240 48V Panels), they have a little more efficiency in relation to angle and heat. 4 of these panels were installed so that I could go back and add tilt bars if I find a need for them in the future. But so far we're at 100% SOC by noon, with minimal usage during this time. This is in the Southern California so as I understand it, different times of the year and different regions further North will have an effect on this.

I read about the WizBang Jr on IRV2, and thought I should look into this. And just read a bit about the Classic APP and that should be a nice addition. Though I want to understand how it will interact with the Magnum BMK Meter. So more reading ahead...

Best,
Smitty

tednruthy

Smitty77,  I have seen your poste over on IRV2.com, Your solar is very similar to mine.  I have 6 Canadian Solar 225W panels at 30V wired series parallel for a 60V feed to the 150.  I have 6 Lifeline AGMs for 660AH.  I have a Whizbang and a Magnum 2000 PWS inverter with BMK and AGS modules.  I have installed the latest code in the 150 as a few weeks ago   I think it is 1779.  The Whiz Bang works fine but is redundant to the Magnum BMK.  We spend too much time hooked up to shore power for me to get a lot of experience with the solar.
I haven't tried the Droid App yet myself either.  Keep in touch.  My email is tednruthy at hindesfamily dot net.

Ted :)

Resthome

Quote from: tednruthy on March 22, 2014, 01:11:31 PM
The Whiz Bang works fine but is redundant to the Magnum BMK.  We spend too much time hooked up to shore power

Ted :)
Ted, the WBjr isn't redundant if you want to use End Amps to terminate your absorb charging when the batteries are fully charged. Without the WBjr the Classic can not determine what is going to the battery verses what is going to your loads. So unless you have a constant load that does not vary you can't set End Amps and make it work without a WBjr.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

tednruthy

Thanks Resthome,  You are correct.  I will have to set the Whizbang up for EndAmps.

Ted

Smitty77

Hi Ted - Yep, it was your post on IRV2 that prompted me to head back over to this board to re-start my learning:)!

Resthome, thanks for reconfirming what I thought I had read about the WBjr. I do currently depend upon the BMK Meter's data more then the Classic's info. So I need to read up on what the impact will be to the data displayed on the BMK. And that is where the reading and learning about the APP may let me feel comfortable using it's data in place of the BMK's.

Ted - I need to do some homework to find out what my current Classic's code level, and upgrade as needed.

I'm a slow learner (Wife has other comments about this, as in never as far as putting the seat back down!), so I'll take my time.

I've been spot reading this board again, and find myself in a league of Land and Wind vs RV's - RV's are my comfort zone. (I've read many posts two, three times - and still go 'Huh!' at quite a bit of the content:)! But, as we may do Solar on our vacation home, I'm enjoying trying to understand the new jargon...

Best,
Smitty