classic is not responding

Started by jtdiesel65, December 28, 2012, 01:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtdiesel65

Hi,

Trying to update firmware on two 150s.  The first one worked and all I did was move the usb cable to the second one, but I keep getting a not responding message.
any ideas?

thx

jtdiesel65

well, I reinstalled the driver and now I get com8  does not exist or is in use.

So not sure what is going on.

Vic

Hi Jt,

It has been some time since I've updated the FW in Classics,  BUT,  have learned that it is good to follow the instructions EXACTLY.

And,  when updating more than one Classic in the same session,  to go back to the beginning of the instructions and begin the update for the second CC as if it was the first one.    I would even close the update applicition and unplug the USB cable from the computer etc.  Had an issue trying to update the second Classic,  forget just what,  but starting over from the top did  the trick --  it has been about five months ago,  so forget the exact detail.
YMMV,  Good Luck,  Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Halfcrazy

Well going from one classic to another should be a matter of swapping the usb cable and repeating the process. The COM8 in use error tells me Windows thinks something else is using com 8. We have seen this a couple times, one time it was a blue tooth headset? I would say reboot the computer and see what happens. If still no joy try updating the original Classic again and see if it is go or no go.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

jtdiesel65

Hi,

I rebooted, reinstalled the driver, reinstalled the entire gui package and still no luck.

I put the usb cable back on the other classic and it works.  For some reason the 2nd controller won't take the new firmware.

Halfcrazy

Well that sure sounds like you have troubleshot it through. Email me ryan@midnitesolar.com and we can figure out the best way to resolve this for you.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

jtdiesel65

OK, thx. I sent an email.

I'm guessing the way this works is that there is short window on
startup where the classic will take new firmware. Judging by the
sounds of the fans between the two classics, it seems like the second
classic isn't recognizing there is new firmware available and shoots
past this window.

I also did a factory reset and that didn't help either.

plongson

I went through the same thing trying to update ONE classic, getting the same errors you described. I got the FM to DL but it was a @&%@ to get the MNGP update to "take"...same error messages. A reboot cured it though. I despise a reboot on that particular PC...It takes literally about 10 minutes. Just an old junker with a serial port used to link to a PLC at the pump/gen house. Let us know what you find...
10-Astronergy 235 watt panels
Fixed 180° south face-No tracker
Midnite Solar Classic MPPT Charge Controller 250V
Mini-Magnum MS4448PAE Power Center
Battery Bank: Fortress E-Vault MAX 18.5kW Lithium
Kubota SQ1200 21kW diesel genset
Lat/Long 37.8 N 113.1 W