Changing Classic mode

Started by dgd, December 31, 2012, 01:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

I have two Classic 150s, one to 2.4Kw PVs and the other on a 2kw wind turbine. I have a second smaller 700w wind turbine that I would like to connect to the 150 with the PVs but not when PVs are making power.  I would like to 'switch in'  the 700w turbine using a 200v 40A ssr when PV amps drops to zero (night time) and switch it out at daybreak. I will use a raspberry pi to control the ssr and monitor PV current plus do the C150 mode changes between wind and solar.
Has anyone tried anything like this? or can see any potential issues/problems?

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

You know...   Under the right conditions, a PV array can make a great Clipper.

The "right conditions" being that the wind turbine (or hydro) must not supply more current
into the PV array  than the PVs series fuse rating.  The voltage where the PV array clips is the Voc
of the PV during the day, or, at night, what the Voc would be if light were shining on it, which is
simply temperature dependent, just as if it were during the day.

If you have a 700 watt turbine and a 2.5 kW PV array, it just might be that your combination
of PV and wind might work connected this way.  And, the wind turbine's 700 watt rating is
most likely at some battery voltage and not at a higher voltage which it would be if it
were running MPPT and so the current would be somewhat less than if connected directly
to the battery.

Just an idea, but the PV array must be fused (or breakered) with the proper OCP value.

One situation that might make those fuses blow or breaker trip would of course be
big storm.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

Quote from: boB on December 31, 2012, 01:53:43 AM
You know...   Under the right conditions, a PV array can make a great Clipper.

The "right conditions" being that the wind turbine (or hydro) must not supply more current
into the PV array  than the PVs series fuse rating.  The voltage where the PV array clips is the Voc
of the PV during the day, or, at night, what the Voc would be if light were shining on it, which is
simply temperature dependent, just as if it were during the day.

I was concerned about  the turbine's voltage rising too high. Using the PVs to voltage clip is good lateral thinking  :)
It didn't occur to me

If you have a 700 watt turbine and a 2.5 kW PV array, it just might be less than if connected directly
to the battery.

Just an idea, but the PV array must be fused (or breakered) with the proper OCP value.

One situation that might make those fuses blow or breaker trip would of course be
big storm.

I was thinking of using my Midnite Clipper that connects to  the 2kw turbine to also control the 700W turbine. By taking wires from  the 3phase relay control pins to  another 3phase AC relay (crydom D53PH50D) that does the resistors shorting the 700w's phases. Hence storm protection.
Should be ok if the AC relay control from the Clipper pcb can supply enough current to switch two relays. :P

dgd

Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

TomW

Quote from: dgd on December 31, 2012, 03:00:53 AM

Should be ok if the AC relay control from the Clipper pcb can supply enough current to switch two relays. :P

dgd

dgd;

If it is pure mechanical switching via a relay, just use one relay as a pilot relay to drive the others via your battery bank voltage, or other voltage source.

This is very commonly done in industry.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies