A Couple More Classic Wishlist Items

Started by crunnells, January 14, 2013, 07:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crunnells

I wish that the graph view scaled better... I realize that you've only got 4 lines to work with (without re-writing the display driver for the Classic to use the individual pixels in the display) but from the bottom to the top of the display is a ~250w range... and everything above that just looks like a flat line. It might be nice if it scaled a little better (using the average for the day). Right now all of the graphs look the same:
       _______                 _______                _______
___/              \_______/              \_______/              \____

It's not super useful from a GUI standpoint, but it's great that we can go see the wattage for each step in the graph.

Second thing, and is super minor, but can we change the temps from C to F in the Temps menu? I'm American and bad at math, so I have no idea what those temps mean usually. It's nice that the Local App shows F, but when I'm down by the CC I have to look up the conversion on my phone.

boB

I would like to have all these things you request.  The problem is resources (time and people) to get the job done.

My intention for the graphs was to be able to zoom into 1/3 of the screen you can view now and join
the dots with vectors (lines) which would be pretty nice.  Ran out of time.

The vertical power scale could be better for sure but that is why it is logarithmic instead of linear like
most of the other values shown.  That is what  PC would do.  96 data points are too many and
the vertical resolution is not very good.

Even with the rough graph for hourly (minutely) data, I have found it extremely useful, especially with
the charge stage in there.  I wish we could have an android phone type of color and touch display but it is
cost prohibitive for the small values used for charge controllers.

The choice of F vs. C will get in there probably soon than anything else.  That will be done at least.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

crunnells

I figured as much with the graph, and really it works fine the way it is (and being able to see the charge status is incredibly useful), but thought I'd mention it just in case :)

I've been seriously considering diving into learning Objective C and writing an iOS app that has some of the monitoring capabilities of the Local App. In theory it should be able to have a nice graph based on data from the Classic, but mostly to be able to monitor my Classic in realtime without being in front of the unit or in front of my computer. I always seem to have my phone in my pocket. We'll see if I can get this done before summer.

boB

Quote from: crunnells on January 14, 2013, 11:43:29 PM
I figured as much with the graph, and really it works fine the way it is (and being able to see the charge status is incredibly useful), but thought I'd mention it just in case :)

I've been seriously considering diving into learning Objective C and writing an iOS app that has some of the monitoring capabilities of the Local App. In theory it should be able to have a nice graph based on data from the Classic, but mostly to be able to monitor my Classic in realtime without being in front of the unit or in front of my computer. I always seem to have my phone in my pocket. We'll see if I can get this done before summer.

I know that Objective C is used for OS X  but I don't think it works for the iOS, does it ??

Apple seems to be pretty closed about people creating their own apps for the iPhone and iPad but maybe
you can get something to work.  Android might be easier but if you have an Apple then I'd love to see
something work for that.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

crunnells

Quote from: boB on January 15, 2013, 08:42:42 AM
I know that Objective C is used for OS X  but I don't think it works for the iOS, does it ??

I was under the impression that iOS is a stripped down version of OSX (thus, they use the same language). I could, of course, be wrong, but I do have XCode installed and just need to update it to the latest version.

My thought was to actually pay the licensing fee (I'm considering going into mobile game development anyway) and when I get something working, offer it up on the App Store.

Android would probably be good, but I don't have ready access to one.