Classic 150's no longer charging

Started by Web4Deb, January 19, 2013, 09:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Web4Deb

Hi, I have 2 Classic 150's.  I will preface this that I don't know when the problem started since I don't use the system a lot during the winter.

Last month I did the firmware upgrade so the follow-me would work.  Today I switched my load from the grid over to the batteries and noticed that the display said the chargers were resting.  Even if the batteries are full, it will normally say ~10 amps of power being consumed with the load.

So I started to play a bit and shut it all down and rebooted the Classics.  The input voltage was ~130 and battery voltage is 12.1  (usually it's around 12.6 when charged).  When the classics start the charge, I could see in input voltage drop (as usual), and the output wattage would go up a bit, then back down to zero.  The the charger would go back into resting mode again.  In the past, It would easily be pushing out 40 amps while charging.

Thinking I had a battery problem, (I have four 6-volt batteries), I swapped the connections around to isolate various ones, but this made no difference.

I'm assuming the problem is from the firmware upgrade now...maybe there's a setting that's wrong (in both controllers)?  Some help would really be appreciated!  Thanks!

-Rob T.

Halfcrazy

Some people have had some odd behavior after doing a firmware update if they do not do a Factory Restore or the "VMM" Do you remember if you did this after installing the firmware? Let me know and I can give you the roads to look down for this.

If you have not done a VMM than I say do it to one at a time just in case. After the successful VMM of the first one you can go back and do the second one. To do a VMM first turn the battery and solar power to the Classic off. Next, turn the battery power back on while holding the Left and Right arrows. Hold the arrows until the first "Solar, Wind or Hydro" screen pops up. Follow the on screen prompts and continue setup. Note: This will reset all settings to factory defaults. You will need to reset any custom settings such as Aux 1 and 2. You may want to write these settings down for reference prior to resetting the Classic.

The other thing you can do is check and get the "reason for resting" or RFR # this can be found by holding the left arrow button and pressing Enter from the main home screen. The top middle number is the RFR. This number is the last RFR so you need to do it after it wakes up and tries then kicks out.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Web4Deb

HI,  yes, I did the VMM on both controllers.  Originally I had to do some trouble shooting after the firmware upgrade since one of them didn't take (when I was trying to get the follow-me to work)  I have another post somewhere in here about that and the follow me is working.

I have an "Answer" to my problem.  I knew with this design I would be pushing the voltage limits of the controller.  When it's really cold out, I've seen it error out when the input voltage goes over 150.  (I'm assuming panels run more efficiently when it's cold out since I've never seen this happen in the summer?) 

Anyway, I removed 1 of the 4 panels from the series to lower the voltage down and it started charging properly!  The input voltage was around 110-120.  With the extra panel in, it was 130-150 and it wouldn't charge properly in this range.  My guess is I'm exceeding some kind of limit within the controller?

Halfcrazy

Yes that is a good catch, a Classic 150 will go to HyperVOC and rest above 150 volts input. A PV panel will increase its temperature as it gets colder as you found out.

Ryan

vtmaps

Quote from: Halfcrazy on January 23, 2013, 11:08:19 AM
A PV panel will increase its temperature as it gets colder as you found out.
I don't think that is what he found out. (but I think we all know what you meant to say) --vtMaps

Web4Deb

Yeah, I understand that it goes hyper over 150...have no problem with that.  The issue is that it doesn't charge much over 135.  It start to charge, the current goes up a bit, then back to 0 within a few seconds.  Then goes into "resting" for around 3 minutes and tries again.  When the input voltage is lower, it seems to be fine.

Halfcrazy

Ok so you are saying the classic is not working above 135 volts in? When it is doing this and has clicked off to Resting hold the Left arrow and hit Enter. In the top middle there is a number this is the "reason for resting" get this number to us and maybe we can sort this out.

Ryan

Vern Faulkner

Chiming in here, I'm going to voice a hunch that there's a wonky limit here, like a current maximum or something, that's causing a glitch?

boB

Yeah, check that RFR (Reason For Resting)  from the main status screen like Ryan
mentioned.

Hold down the left-arrow key and tap the ENTER key.   That will bring you to
the "secret screen" with a bunch of numbers and an IN  OUT  at the top.
The number you want to read off will be the top middle number between
the IN and the OUT.

That number will be active from the last time the Classic turned off and can
give us a good idea on why it went off.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Web4Deb

Thanks.  I'll check it the next time I'm at the location...should be Friday.