New panel advice requested

Started by jcfaber1, September 16, 2014, 09:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcfaber1

I have a 260 watt large panel measuring 39 x 65 inches.  I am using the panel in a portable setting, photo attached.  I am able to get back to full charge each day that I have sun so it is working great (Trimetric meter).   I connect the panel using a 50 ft. 8 gauge cable to the Kidd mounted in the camper.  I have 2 AGM 225AH 6 v golf cart batteries wired in a series.  The problem I am having is that the physical size of the panel is a pain to put into the camper on the bed while travelling and then transfer to the vehicle when stopping for the night.  I am considering purchasing 3-4 Renogy 100 watt semi-flexible panels 21 x 41 inches and 3 pounds each to replace the large glass panel.  These should fit in the car until I am ready to set it up.  Does any one here have any experience with this type of panel?  Do they work well?  Thanks for your input.  Any ideas welcome.

John

Jacotenente

No experience with flexible solar panels. I do own six Renogy 100D panels are they are great. You got a really cool set up there...thanks for the pic. 300-400 watts of panel is quite a bit...are you storing the energy?

thanasis

I do not have any experience with flexible panels. Have you considered making  platform under your teardrop and slide the PV panel on it when not in use?
CamperVan application.
Single PV:275W.
Charge Controller: KID w/WBjr.
Battery: Lifeline 8D 255Ah.
Main load: 4A DC refrigerator.

jcfaber1

Thanks for the replies.  I use a CPAP at night so I want a little over kill in the wattage area so that I can get back to 100% each day.  While in Glacier, we had cloudy rainy days for 3 days straight and they began to drop down to 70% range.  Our batteries are 2 225AH 6V AGM wired in a series.  I also realize that the window to the sun in may be limited in the various campgrounds and that I will not be in camp to move the panels as the sun moves through the sky while we are out having fun.  I may put in a larger fridge some day as well.  Does this answer your storage question?

I had not thought about the slide out underneath.  I will need to give that some thought.  I am also thinking of putting car top carriers on the Jeep and put the panel up there.  I do not care about the flexibility of the Renogy panels, but the size and weight is very appealing.  I do not like the $2.00/watt versus the $1.1/watt I paid for the 260W panel.

John

ZoNiE

Keep watching Craigslist for some Battery panels. 120-130W. Get two or three, mount them on the roof. Sell that 260W slab on Craigslist to pay for them. I had the same problem. My panels were too big and heavy. I kept my eye out and found three new in the box Kyocera 130W Panels cheap. They are even Grid Tie Rated, not that I need that.
Daily Driver: 2013 Toyota Rav4EV with Tesla Guts...
Solar Project:
1996 Safari Sahara Class A Motorhome with:
4X Hanhwa 280W panels
1X Midnight Classic-150
4X  Dying WallyWorld Energizer GC2's bought by the PO
1X 2,000W Heart Interface Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger
1X Onan Emerald 6300LP RV Genset