Trying To Build A 48-volt System . . .

Started by billbaty, April 29, 2014, 12:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billbaty

Hi,

I need to get my solar system up and running but every time I try, I just don't know where or how to get started. I have found various wiring diagrams and photos of systems up and running but I still don't know where to begin. So I am wondering if there is instructions somewhere that begins with Step 1, Step 2 and so on that I could follow?

My Components:

MX60 PV MPPT Charge Controller
MidNite Solar E-Panel
3648 VFX Inverter
2 - 175 watt solar panels
NMNPV3 Combiner
8 - UB 6 volt Batteries

I have the e-panel, charge controller and inverter mounted in an outdoor cabinet but with no other connections. There is room for the batteries in a lower compartment (also not yet connected). I have a pergola next to the cabinet where I can mount the panels.

All the best,

Bill Baty

Vic

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the Forum.

You have some nice hardware for your new system.

First you must have a goal,  or,  something in mind that this new system will do --  like,  battery-backed up Solar system for when the Grid is down,   off-grid system for a get-away cabin,  etc.

Then the most crucial thing is what loads must this system supply,  and what is the maximum amount of power at any one time must this system deliver.

Since you have an inverter,  and some batteries already,  you have already answered these questions,  or perhaps you have done some guessing.

Am going to suggest that you join the wind-sun Forum,  and begin there,  as that site has good traffic,  and good information.

You should specify the model number and mfg for the PVs,  and for the batteries that you have.

And,  it is very important that you keep those batteries charged,  even if you must connect them as individual 12 V sets,  and use an Automotive charger.
EDIT:  >However,  these batteries could be sealed -- AGM or Gel.  If they are Gels,   using an Auto charger may be a bad idea.   AGMs are more tolerant to simple chargers,  but still may not be such a good idea.   Sealed batteries,  generally have fairly low rates of self-discharge.   Flooded batteries (ones with easily removable caps)  are tolerant of simple Auto chargers,  as long as the batteries are not left on charge for days and days.<

Here is the Wind-Sun Forum site:
http://forum.solar-electric.com/forum.php

We can answer questions here,  as well,  but the other site has a lot of info and heavy traffic.  Good Luck,      Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

zoneblue

Hi mate. Your question is somewhat like asking how to make an exotic three course gormet meal.  As Vic says, spend some weeks reading at the NAWs forum,  download the manual for the midnite epanels, it has lots of good stuff in it. But NAWs has excellent moderators and contributors, retired engineer types and the like, who will happily take you through it step by step.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar