Setup with Classic Getting Tingling Sensation at Battery Bank Positive.

Started by finalman, December 18, 2015, 04:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finalman

I notice I get electrical tingling sensation when I touch the battery bank positive terminal and touching the ground without shoes while connected to the Classics.

My battery bank is four 12v 280AH batteries in series making 48v. Currently it's only a DC system with no AC inverter as I'm currently acquiring components.

I have the Earthing wire from the earth stake going to the classic with the ground fault jumper enabled and the GFP enabled in the classic menus.

So should I be getting this tingling sensation or not?

Or is there a fault somewhere?

Westbranch

pls tell us about the wiring to the loads...  is the wiring like a standard AC house wiring or ??

and touching the ground without shoes while connected to the Classics.

Who or what is connected to the Classic and where is contact being made?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

finalman

Quote from: Westbranch on December 18, 2015, 04:10:36 PM
pls tell us about the wiring to the loads...  is the wiring like a standard AC house wiring or ??

Two 70mm2 copper cables, each 3.5 meter long for + and - both within separate individual Flexible electrical conduit of their own.

[and touching the ground without shoes while connected to the Classics./i]

Touching battery negative and barefoot touching the dirt I get no sensations while classic going. Touching earthstake and barefoot touching the dirt I get no sensations while classic going.

No Solar is connected to the classic at those times. No loads on the battery bank except for the Classic.

Halfcrazy

Yes some people will "feel" 48vdc through them. One hand on 48 volt positive and one on ground would do that
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dgd

No offence intended Finalman but..

This is one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum.
What are you doing barefoot on ground then touching terminals on a battery bank? or power terminals anywhere for that matter.
It does not matter if its 12vDC or 48V DC or any other voltage, you DO NOT place your body in a situation where an electrical circuit could be completed. People die or get badly burnt doing this.
If you must use bare hands on live electric connections (which is also a looney tunes thing to do), then at minimum make sure you have insulated socks/boots on your feet and no other part of your body is earthed or in contact with another live terminal.

Also it might be an idea to find a local college with an Electricity 101 course and Enrol.
sorry that was too rude  ;)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

finalman

Tried my other classic 150-SL and it does the same thing. Completely isolated the two individually from both DC and earth. Must be completely normal.

Pic of my setup is as follows just so you can see how I split the + and - between the two classics.

dgd

Finalman,

Nice pics of your Classics and wiring. Just a couple of suggestions.
Each Classic would normally have an 80 or 100 amp breaker in its +ve line before connecting to that common connection point. Usually these would be in a box such as an Epanel, MNDC or even a MNEDC, where the common -ve connection would be, perhaps on the non battery end of a Deltec 500A shunt.
Then one of the Classics would have a WBjr connected to measure true battery current and perhaps have charge termination controlled by an End Amps setting.
I can't see that little purple wire going to the AUX terminal in any of your Classics so I'm assuming you have not connected a WBjr or shunt?
Those in-flex-conduit wires don't look 70mm2, maybe 50mm2. My 70mm2 teneflex cables look way fatter than yours  ;D

Please post a wider view of your power panel/wall etc

cheers

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

finalman

Quote from: dgd on December 18, 2015, 05:25:21 PM
Finalman,

Nice pics of your Classics and wiring. Just a couple of suggestions.
Each Classic would normally have an 80 or 100 amp breaker in its +ve line before connecting to that common connection point. Usually these would be in a box such as an Epanel, MNDC or even a MNEDC, where the common -ve connection would be, perhaps on the non battery end of a Deltec 500A shunt.

Good to know I'll be able to connect the 2nd classic to position 2 of my fuse block disconnect.

Then one of the Classics would have a WBjr connected to measure true battery current and perhaps have charge termination controlled by an End Amps setting.
I can't see that little purple wire going to the AUX terminal in any of your Classics so I'm assuming you have not connected a WBjr or shunt?

I had a WBJr in there up until midday yesterday but removed it as I'm getting a dedicated battery monitor and shunt. When the WBJr was in circuit I had to extend the purple wire and noticed it wasn't accurate anymore. Even though to try to reduce the interference I used twisted pairs from an old Ethernet cable. I had read connecting one of the 2 wires to the ground connection at one end and leaving it off at the WBJr end might help but couldn't be bothered so I never tried.

Those in-flex-conduit wires don't look 70mm2, maybe 50mm2. My 70mm2 teneflex cables look way fatter than yours  ;D
My copper cable core diameter is 10-11mm so that should be around 70mm2. Conduit in the picture is 32mm so the cable might look smaller if your using 25mm conduit.

Please post a wider view of your power panel/wall etc

When I get more done that was the plan. Currently only got what you see plus 2 isolators and a fuse box.

cheers

dgd
[/quote]

dgd

Quote from: finalman on December 18, 2015, 09:55:20 PM

I had a WBJr in there up until midday yesterday but removed it as I'm getting a dedicated battery monitor and shunt. When the WBJr was in circuit I had to extend the purple wire and noticed it wasn't accurate anymore. Even though to try to reduce the interference I used twisted pairs from an old Ethernet cable. I had read connecting one of the 2 wires to the ground connection at one end and leaving it off at the WBJr end might help but couldn't be bothered so I never tried.

Ok, however the WBjr is actually a pretty accurate battery monitor with the major advantage that the Classsic can use data from the WBjr to terminate absorb stage battery charging.
This is something you cannot do with a separate battery monitor.
So if you have not bought it already then I wouldn't bother, just get the WBjr working.
If you need to extend the purple cable then use a similar multi strand cable and solder it to the existing cable. I have seen a 5 metre cable used with no errors.
Ethernet cable I would avoid as its single core and too easily kink cracked or broken, also avoid the two core idea with one core of a twisted pair earthed. Not necessary

Dgd

CDN-VT

and touching the ground without shoes while connected to the Classics.

Normal !! = too feel the tingle , not smart , warning !!

WEAR SHOES & realize your in a "Working Environment "

If your using your body as a meter , and touch the PV array in DC , you might never need shoes again .

Work Safe
I try and I still Fubar things
VT
Canadian Solar 350W 37.6 VOC  30.6 VMP 8.22 ISC 7.87 IMP ,-15 c +30c max  4 strings in 2 in Series for 24v Classic 150 -1020 Ah  Freezers & fridges ~~~ Second Array same panels of 3sx3 parallel for 24 V Classic 150 -440 Ah Outback Barns & out blds.
48Vdc almost done,11Strings up of 3s11P same panels

mike90045

Uh oh.  This is a BAD Thing.   You are VERY close to killing yourself.
  Just because code says <50V is allowed, does not mean it's safe.

The only good thing is that the tingle means it's AC.  DC your body would cramp right up, and 10mA is all it takes (0.01A) to stop your heart.

So, there is an inverter, that somehow is energizing your battery +, or the classic itself, is somehow using it's inductors to gjve you a buzz.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Cniemand

Why do you figure AC has a tingle relative to DC clamping? Would that be due to the AC crossing over the center point of its wave? I.E. an oscillation of your muscle fibers clamping and releasing? Hmm. :)
OFF-GRID @ 8500FT : 2000w Array : 8 - CS6P-250P ; VFX 3648 ; WBjr ; MN CL200 #6738 ; FW #2079  
48v LiFePo4 : 16 - CALB CA 100 aH in Series - 5 kWh ; No Active BMS - Bottom Balanced
Charging Parameters : Bulk - 55v, Absorb - 5 EndAmps @ 55v, Float - 54v or 3.375v per Cell : ZERO EQUALIZE

ClassicCrazy

system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Cniemand

Larry,

Was that suppose to be comedy? I ask because that was gold! :)
OFF-GRID @ 8500FT : 2000w Array : 8 - CS6P-250P ; VFX 3648 ; WBjr ; MN CL200 #6738 ; FW #2079  
48v LiFePo4 : 16 - CALB CA 100 aH in Series - 5 kWh ; No Active BMS - Bottom Balanced
Charging Parameters : Bulk - 55v, Absorb - 5 EndAmps @ 55v, Float - 54v or 3.375v per Cell : ZERO EQUALIZE

ClassicCrazy

He does a good presentation
Here is another one
Which is the Killer, Current or Voltage?
https://youtu.be/XDf2nhfxVzg
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable