Just got it

Started by dapdan, April 16, 2011, 12:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dapdan

Hi All,

Just got the new classic. I made the mistake of mentioning it to a client of my that I was finishing up and offgrid install and they said they want to upgrade from the C60 to the classic. So I had it for about a fleeting moment. My first thoughts...it is gorgeous. However when I removed the display cover one of the small wires connecting to the small speaker broke off. Last on during the install the other one broke off. I hope if I do a little soldering I dont void the warranty (Robing or Ryan can chime in here). Anyways, that was today so no comments on harvesting. I must say that set up was very intuitive. I was able to go through the wizard and set everything up without going through the manual. One thing perplexed me. When I set the location coordinate for Barbados (13N 59W) and set daylight saving as no it gave me sunrise at 6:43am. This time is wrong because I typical awake at sunrise and it is usually before 6am. Experts...will this affect when the classic will come out of resting or does it re-learn sunrise time based on power coming from the panels.

THat is all for now.

Cheers...
Damani

boB

Glad you got it !!

Yeah, we should probably have a note (maybe on that clock battery insulator paper) that says to be careful
when pulling off the cover just for that reason.  I've broken those wires too.  Don't worry about voiding
the warranty either.

Also,  no worry on the Sunrise/Sunset and the unit coming on at the wrong time.  That can be kind of confusing because there are more
than one definitions for sunrise and sunset.   These times can differ from twilite by an hour or two depending on the angle of the sun below the horizon at different
times.

Check out  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn     AND    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight

There will be newer software to do different things with that information but it  should wake and sleep fine as is.

Let us know how it goes.    (Especially if it works good !)

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dapdan

Hey boB,

Thanks for the swift reply. Another thing I kinda noticed and it was confirmed by the client this morning. He was asking if the fan should be keep noise. I am not sure why the fan should be on so early in the morning (about 1 hour after sunrise) at low power levels but I know why it is keeping that noise. You see I had removed the cover on the turbo vent area to see what was inside. This what I noticed:

1. The plastic housing was quite flexible.

I personally think the house should be stiffer for the due to the following observation.

When I took the front panel off of the turbo area the small muffin fan moved and the glue connection of the fan to back of it housing failed. On inspection I realised it looked like the hot glue you use for art and craft projects. So what I believe is happening here is that the fan is not secured properly and it is causing a noise when it virbrates against it house while it is operational.

I propose to fix this by using a silicone glue so there will be some play allowed due to silicon inherent flexiblity. I would think that you guys may consider a similar fix or use a stiffer housing so it would not flex and hence break the existing adhesion between fan and housing.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers....
Damani

boB

Hmmm....   Not sure about any glue on the turbo and will look again or as the production people.  Maybe they are trying to reduce rattling ??  I usually know about such changes in those production methods though.  I do agree that the plastic is a bit thin in spots.

I have heard that noise on occasion but it was fairly easily fixed. That is one thing we try to make sure doesn't happen.  Maybe that was one that got out ?

I also do not understand why that fan should have come on so early.  If the client looks at the temperatures menu on the remote display, the turbo can comes on at somewhere around 45 or 50 degrees C but the internal small fans come on around 40 C.

The fans can be tested or forced to come on by shorting out the wires for the battery temperature sensor cable.
A typical telephone cable can be used for that if one is handy.

We will be happy to send down another turbo if it's not easily fixed by some other simple method using chewing gum or something like that.  :)

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dapdan

Hey boB,

Thanks for the swift reply once again. I am going to the client this afternoon and I will try to confirm which fan came on I am not absolutely sure if it was the internal fan or the turbo fan. I will also send a pic showing you what I saw on the turbo fan. I will keep you abreast. I will apply the silicon glue to the trubo fan to see if that helps any.

Cheers....
Damani

boB

If it WAS an internal fan, it was most likely the one on the right.   Just move it slightly and it
should stop, if that is it.  We'll fix him up if it becomes a pain.

Once in a while the blade will kind of buzz against the casting.  We have pretty much stopped
that from happening but maybe that was before I had them listen and watch closer to that
kind of thing.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

boB

If it is the internal fan, you might add a dab of silicone or glue to the corner of the fan where
the screwdriver in this picture is pointing.

Sorry about that !   

BTW, they ARE gluing the turbo fan in so it doesn't rattle or move.

boB

[attachment deleted by admin]
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dapdan

Hey boB,

I went yesterday and checked. The fan was running while I was there so I was able to confirm that it was the left internal fan. I checked the temps on the unit and the temp on the fets was 43.someting degrees celcius. So you are correct in relation to the temp at which the fan comes on. I should also indicate that the batteries were full and the unit was warm to touch so maybe it was dissipating excess energy since it was in float at that time.

The turbo fan did not engage but I still glued it place with some silicon adhesive. I am attaching some pics so you can see what I am referring to.

boB, dont get me wrong I dont need anyting replaced the units is working fine so far I just wished to give you guys some feedback. I thank you for the offer anyways. The fan only runs during the day and it does not bother my client. It does not run at night. So it is in no way close to being a pain. I am just happy you guys can improve an already impressive piece of gear.

Cheers...
Damani

file:///C:/Users/DAP%20ENGINEERING/Alternative%20Energy%20projects%20&%20Info/Solar/Quotes/1104-Marion%20Best/Pictures/P4160017.JPG

dapdan

Ok I have to open another post to attach the other picture

boB

OK, so you have a unit from just before we started doing just what you did there.

Thanks for doing that !  It's not a big problem  but we try to do little things that will contribute to the  "pleasurable  experience" of the unit...
Boy did that sound weird !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

Quote from: boB on April 16, 2011, 02:05:27 AM
Also,  no worry on the Sunrise/Sunset and the unit coming on at the wrong time.  That can be kind of confusing because there are more
than one definitions for sunrise and sunset. 

Aren't Sunrise/Sunset pretty fixed?  Twilight (dawn & disk) has a couple of variations. (Civil, Nautical, "You kids be inside before dark")  ;D
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

Quote from: mike90045 on April 19, 2011, 03:43:26 PM
Quote from: boB on April 16, 2011, 02:05:27 AM
than one definitions for sunrise and sunset. 

Aren't Sunrise/Sunset pretty fixed?  Twilight (dawn & disk) has a couple of variations. (Civil, Nautical, "You kids be inside before dark")  ;D

Yes, those definitions are important and is why it doesn't always seem to coincide with "dark"...  How many degrees below
the horizon is basically it as I understand.  Also, shading at those extremes can make it even more difficult to use.

Sunrise/Sunset will help in some applications.  For instance, it can know for sure when it should be dark.  Right smack dab in between
sunset and sunrise.  Also helps when running wind or hydro because those never go dark like solar does.

Also in Alaska etc, where Midnite Solar REALLY means what it says !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me