What happens when the "amp limit" is reached?

Started by Volvo Farmer, May 14, 2011, 08:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volvo Farmer

Some sort of microburst or something came through here today and I got the opportunity to really test out this controller. I actually saw a peak of about 3KW out of the classic with the turbine's tail fully folded up. I saw the controller go into "amp limit"  and the homemade clipper came on at about 100V and did it's job.

So I assume that the controller protects itself in the "amp limit" mode and disconnects from the turbine?  I'm OK with that as I think it will be a pretty rare thing for this turbine to be putting out 90A @ 29V. Just want to make sure that bumping up against the amp limit isn't going to let the smoke out of the Classic, should it ever happen again.

Halfcrazy

Volvo

The Classic basically lets the input rise and unloads a little to keep the amperage at its set point so it will not completely unhook but will unload the turbine to lower the amperage. Glad your clipper is working as you planned boy wind sure is fun those solar guys just do not know what they are missing do they ;D. I can set and watch 3kw of pv and it is just so anti climatic but a few kw's of wind is just such rush to watch. I have had the opportunity to watch an unregulated Classic do 99 amps pretty steady that is a rush ;D
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

keyturbocars

That's good news Volvofarmer that your Classic and Clipper have proven themselves during that strong wind event.  You'll find that as more time passes, your confidence will increase in the abilities of the Classic to keep things under control.  I know that at first I was a bit nervous, but then over time my confidence has increased.   

Ryan, it sure is a rush to watch the power that wind can produce!  I remember the time I was watching my Classic and I saw 4400W during a wind gust.  WOW!  Fun stuff!

Edward

boB

What I like seeing is(online) a classic putting out power when it is dark and rainy out !!

That is just so Un-Like Solar PV !

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me