News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Menu buttons

Started by Particle, June 01, 2014, 01:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Particle

I bought a Kid two weeks ago and turned it on for the first time today.  The first thing I noticed was that the menu buttons don't appear to work very well.  Pressing a button one time seems to yield a random chance of no button press being detected at all, a normal button press being detected, or multiple button presses being detected.  I was wondering if this is a perhaps just an issue with my unit or if it's something exhibited by all Kid controllers.

Scrolling through the battery type menu on the initial boot, I had to spam the arrow buttons to get it to scroll and eventually ended on "Custom" at which point the controller would no longer accept any amount of up or down button presses.  Left and right still worked, though pressing right made the controller rush through the next two menus without me even getting to see the one in between.  Frustrated, I turned off power to the controller to reset it and started over.  The up and down arrows worked again, but the spotty behavior of the menu buttons persisted.  I just had to be very careful.  This seems like the sort of thing that could be fixed with firmware.  We need some software debouncing rolled into the button press handler.

ClassicCrazy

Have you updated the firmware yet ? What version is it ? There have been a number of firmware updates - recent ones available on Midnite webpage.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Particle

I tried to start the firmware update process, but it doesn't seem to work.  The controller never presents as a mass storage device to a computer.  That being said, restarting the controller suggests I have 1733 instead of the 1722 firmware available online.  I appear to be on a beta between the last stable and current beta release?

TomW

Quote from: Particle on June 01, 2014, 02:40:44 PM
I tried to start the firmware update process, but it doesn't seem to work.  The controller never presents as a mass storage device to a computer.  That being said, restarting the controller suggests I have 1733 instead of the 1722 firmware available online.  I appear to be on a beta between the last stable and current beta release?

Particle;

What operating system on your computer?

We need that info to even try to help.

I did not realize there were any issues with the drag and drop upgrades on the Kids?

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

TomW

Oh, duh. Sorry. There is an intermediate update needed before you can drag and drop updates.  I did it so long ago I forget (anything before lunch is long ago) :o

I will see if I can find that info. Don't get discouraged.

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

TomW

Best info I could find:

http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1655.0

Seems to only apply to the Beta Kids so not sure it counts?

Tom

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Westbranch

Tom, for the BETAs units ONLY, a new BOOTLOADER file is needed.

Other than that AFAIK it's Drag and Drop
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Halfcrazy

Yeah on My windows 7 laptop it never showed up as a pop up I had to go into "My Computer" and it was there as a drive.

Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

chris

Quote from: Halfcrazy on June 01, 2014, 07:36:29 PM
Yeah on My windows 7 laptop it never showed up as a pop up I had to go into "My Computer" and it was there as a drive.

This is the same with mine, but once I figured that out....updates have been a snap.
System 1
12 volt system,
280 AH DIY LifePO4 with 200amp JBD BMS
4x200 Watt 36volt panels 4P
MidNite Kid, WBjr
2000 watt Kisae SW inverter

System 2
Off Grid RV (parked and used as a cabin)
12 volt system,
4 X T-105+
6X100 watt array wired as 3 strings
MidNite Kid, WBjr & MNBTS
1500 watt Cotek SW

Particle

I believe that the unit I have is a production version as I bought it from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun two weeks ago.  It appears to have Bootloader 2.2 on it and firmware revision 1733.  The computer I tried to do the update with is a Windows 8.1 (64-bit) machine.

I plugged the controller into the computer using a mini USB cable and started the firmware update process on the controller after that.  I also tried starting the firmware update process on the controller and plugging in the cable only after that point.  Neither time did a mass storage device appear to be detected by the computer, neither in My Computer nor checking with disk management.  I checked with disk management in case the drive was detected but had no drive letter assigned as does occasionally happen with card readers and phones.  No luck there--it just isn't present.

I'll try with a different computer tomorrow and see what happens, but if anyone has any ideas in the mean time I would certainly be appreciative.

atop8918

There was a batch of USB cables shipped with the Classic were turning up to be bad.

Have you tried with another USB cable just to be sure? You might also try a different USB port on the PC if you haven't already. My Windows 7 machine only recognizes certain USB devices plugged into very particular ports for some reason. Thanks, Microsoft.

Westbranch

Quote from: atop8918 on June 02, 2014, 03:51:13 AM
My Windows 7 machine only recognizes certain USB devices plugged into very particular ports for some reason.

I can confirm that peculiarity on a Wdoze7 machine too >:( >:( >:(  what a pain!
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

mike90045

QuoteThere was a batch of USB cables shipped with the Classic were turning up to be bad.

Oh man. Any idea what ser #'s those are ?   I don't have any of the nano size cables (90 minutes from a city with a store likely to have one.) 

Classic 200,  Win 8.1   Sleeps at 30C @ midnight - sucking power from my batteries.  USB=No talkie.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

atop8918

No, I'm afraid I don't have that info -- only some of the cables were bad so it wasn't a lot problem -- probably a bunch that were at a corner of the shipping pallet or something. If you have a small digital camera or something it will most likely have that mini-USB connection on it if you need to test it out.
Sometimes it also takes a while for windows to load the driver (minutes). You may also have to boot windows in safe-mode or open mode in order to install the driver from the installer  since it isn't signed. At least that's what one had to do sometimes with Windows 7, I dunno about 8?

Westbranch

Mike the miini USB fits my cell phones.  If it works with them should be ok for the Classic.
hth